Bhangra And Sikhism

njjassa

Bhangra vs Sikhism  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Would you justify bhangra being a part of sikhism?

• I do
    • I totally disagree
    • No comments

hmm..... seems quite plausible to me though..... the actual reason why the thread was started is to discuss the issue that punjabi culture has influenced many aspects of our life but does it make any sense to conclude that our identity should solely be based on our culture or sikhism has a role in it?....hope tht wud clear things up...... bhul chuk maaf

hmm..... seems quite plausible to me though..... the actual reason why the thread was started is to discuss the issue that punjabi culture has influenced many aspects of our life but does it make any sense to conclude that our identity should solely be based on our culture or sikhism has a role in it?....hope tht wud clear things up...... bhul chuk maaf

now thats more like a discussion, im sorry i did start to read but i began to loose the will to live as it was soooooooooooooooo long :BL:

the actual reason why the thread was started is to discuss the issue that punjabi culture has influenced many aspects of our life

Has it? take a look at yesterdays generation, like my parents where you will see Punjabi more than a sikh...........but todays generation..............is it realy Punjabi influences or more "western" traits that are the dominating factors causing people to give up/loose/abandon the SIKH identity?

does it make any sense to conclude that our identity should solely be based on our culture or sikhism has a role in it?....hope tht wud clear things up...... bhul chuk maaf

Now this is just my opinion............but where someone cannot have his own identity he look to the world to find one he can fit into................identity is based on many things......culture i do not think is a big dominating factor as much as it used to be............back in the 70's/80's where the gurdwaras would be full of "white hankies" and Gurjit Singh bacame known as "Garry" or "G" or "Jim"

Indentity comes from inside ourselves...........SIkh teaches us to find who we REALY are......Man Tuh Joot Saroop Hai, apnah mool pashaan........Culture is nothing but a lable we affix ourselves to when our OWN indentity dissapears.............

This is happening where by a gursikh referred to another as AKJ, Taksali, Nihang etc etc rather than, thats my brother/sister..................these "groups" are nothing more that punjabi like cultures in order to gain an identity for oursleves...........a way of recognition............because the inner search has failed us.

When you can see waheguru in yourself, you cannot see waheguru in anyone else....

so in conclusion...................Sikh and Culture are two very different things.........sikh teaches us to move away from society/caste/social status and recognition and look upon all as equal and the same.............Culture...................again is nothing more than a method of segregation and isolation............where the first thing we are doing, (whether it be on a sub consious level) is looking at our diffrences to others and building our identity based on these differences....

bhul chuck maafi

Guest peacemaker

OK, no place for Bhangra in Sikhism, I get that. So maybe there is a place for Bhangra outside of Sikhism then. No big deal. I see nothing wrong with being proud to be Punjabi or wherever you're from on this planet. I'm really not that close minded. Some people just need to turn their brains off and move with the rhythm from time to time. It won't kill you.

Guest peacemaker
In other words lets just casually say on a Sikh forum that you should... --drink as long as you don't drive--- or --- drive as long as you don't drink.... without further qualification.

This doesn't even warrant a response. :rolleyes:

now thats more like a discussion, im sorry i did start to read but i began to loose the will to live as it was soooooooooooooooo long :BL:

the actual reason why the thread was started is to discuss the issue that punjabi culture has influenced many aspects of our life

Has it? take a look at yesterdays generation, like my parents where you will see Punjabi more than a sikh...........but todays generation..............is it realy Punjabi influences or more "western" traits that are the dominating factors causing people to give up/loose/abandon the SIKH identity?

does it make any sense to conclude that our identity should solely be based on our culture or sikhism has a role in it?....hope tht wud clear things up...... bhul chuk maaf

Now this is just my opinion............but where someone cannot have his own identity he look to the world to find one he can fit into................identity is based on many things......culture i do not think is a big dominating factor as much as it used to be............back in the 70's/80's where the gurdwaras would be full of "white hankies" and Gurjit Singh bacame known as "Garry" or "G" or "Jim"

Indentity comes from inside ourselves...........SIkh teaches us to find who we REALY are......Man Tuh Joot Saroop Hai, apnah mool pashaan........Culture is nothing but a lable we affix ourselves to when our OWN indentity dissapears.............

This is happening where by a gursikh referred to another as AKJ, Taksali, Nihang etc etc rather than, thats my brother/sister..................these "groups" are nothing more that punjabi like cultures in order to gain an identity for oursleves...........a way of recognition............because the inner search has failed us.

When you can see waheguru in yourself, you cannot see waheguru in anyone else....

so in conclusion...................Sikh and Culture are two very different things.........sikh teaches us to move away from society/caste/social status and recognition and look upon all as equal and the same.............Culture...................again is nothing more than a method of segregation and isolation............where the first thing we are doing, (whether it be on a sub consious level) is looking at our diffrences to others and building our identity based on these differences....

bhul chuck maafi

thanks bro for an honest opinion.... i really appreciate it...... to be honest i consider both the elements to be distinct and theres no way we can combine them ....... about identity i think there are lot more social, religious, political, economic, personality and family circumstances that affect us in each and every single way in shaping in what we are and what we would be in the near future.....

i respect ur opinion .... thanks again

and I THINK SINCE THE DISCUSSION IS GOING KINDA TOO FAR ..... I AM GONA TAKE THE POPULAR OPINION AS "ITS UNFAIR AND UNJUSTIFIABLE TO SAY THAT BHANGRA IS PART OF SIKH PHILOSOPHY ".......

bhul chuk maaf

• 6 years later...