Indians And Obesity

All a bunch of mis-information, for all those read it being highly mis-guided.

I was with a consultant radiologist who once told me about how he worked with a Sikh doctor in London. The Sikh doctor was doing research into why there was a higher rate of heart disease in the Sikh population. They looked at diet which when closely analysed (they got different families to make their normal meals and then a small portion was taken for analysis). The levels of carbs and fat were similar to Western diets, which didn't really show any link with diet. The gist of the research showed that basically it was genetic.

Sikhs have a genetic propensity for heart disease.

that doesn't make sense.

are you sure this wasn't a reference to punjabis as opposed to sikhs?

if some random person converted to sikhi, the likelihood of them getting heart disease wouldn't increase would it. and sikhs over the world dont exactly have a homogenous diet-depends on where you come from and what food is available.

Thanks veerji,

The Bhais would never really leave our gurudwara until their turn to rotate is up, they were just amazed that (I think ours is their first UK duty) there exists such a gurudwara in the UK. They talk about akharas attached to gurudware in Punjab, where warriors are trained - not just in gatka, but also in pehlwani and horsemanship (riding, tent pegging etc), but did not think that there was any such thing in the UK ie where the physical aspect of warrior-saint was encouraged.

To the other veerji,

The other doctor in question - is he not that famous cardiologist (Muaff karo I forgot his name) in London who has been honoured by the Royal Collage of Physicians and is (I think) President of the Sikh Federation. I know that he has done or is doing research based specifically around the subject of Asians and obesity in the UK.

lol my family get through 24 packets of 250gram anker butter every 2 months.

The roti are usaully dripping with butter, were all gonna die fat.

Why...why did you have to post this!!!!!!!!

I am reaching for the Lurpak as I write!

ps Is Anker butter better - I'm going to buy a pack tommorow to put on my rotis!

that doesn't make sense.

are you sure this wasn't a reference to punjabis as opposed to sikhs?

if some random person converted to sikhi, the likelihood of them getting heart disease wouldn't increase would it. and sikhs over the world dont exactly have a homogenous diet-depends on where you come from and what food is available.

Well the doctor was working on the Sikh population in Southall/Wembley so I'd imagine they were all Punjabi Sikhs. Besides, they would have been screened for background etc.

The other doctor in question - is he not that famous cardiologist (Muaff karo I forgot his name) in London who has been honoured by the Royal Collage of Physicians and is (I think) President of the Sikh Federation. I know that he has done or is doing research based specifically around the subject of Asians and obesity in the UK.

I honestly don't know the name. I had this conversation with the radiologist over a year ago. What I remember was that the research was into Sikhs. It may be that the radiologist mixed it up and said Sikhs when he meant Punjabis but then that's not something I can verify. If I could remember the guy's name I might be able to look it up.

As for our diet, it all depends on what we are like. I know Sikh families in UK and India who eat 4-6 rotis in one sitting easily and are still thin but that is because of their physical work. We need to adjust our diet and eat a lot less. I eat only two rotia and one portion of either dhaal or sabji. I think with the current generation (us) we are or should be more health-aware. I know with my family, we've boosted the amount of healthy food, changed from whole to semi-skimmed milk, eat less fatty foods etc. This has caused our parents' behaviour to change and their dietary habits have changed.

We should all be more health-conscious and try and introduce such advice and changes into the lifestyle of the family. Go shopping with your parents. Educate them if needed.

anyone can be fit if u workout, by saying its genetics is jsut a crutch and an escuse

and punjabis are extremly fit people, some of the fittest

this is known by everyone, only now were gettin health problems because we dont do what we used to do workwise, and we still eat the same

the problem is u eat to much

simple

and dont workout enough

but punjabis have excellent genteics

i dunt kno what stupid study says punjabis have bad geneteics, research anything bout punjabis, by british, w.e were always recongized for being physically fit