Shardaaee

Could be wrong, but I think where it says 'cous cous', it should be 'khas khas' (white poppy seeds). I don't think they had cous cous back then?

Well like I've said before I may have made PLENTY mistakes :happy: - I don't add them poppy seeds or whatever - I keep straight - I made it the way its said above - as for the no milk or lehchee'yaa etc - I asked my MamaJee - he goes you can add whatever you want so kee pathaa hon - anywho if I've got it wrong I didnt do it intentially - but most of us that didnt know what Shardhaee consisted off have been given SOME kind of idea even if I've made mistakes!

The poppy seeds in India have some nasha in them, the ones you get in England (East End packaged) are so refined and cleaned they will not affect you in any way. These are normally put into food to thicken them up.

The reason why milk is not used is because it is heavy and fattening, adding it to the rich badaams and sugar will make the Shardai even more richer and thicker to drink. Shardai is normally taken before excercising, the badaams have slow release of energy, the kali mirch helps with digestion and the lechi cools the body down. Without the excercise and bal, drinking too much shardai will give you the runs.

The Sher Kaan is the cloth in which you "Shaan" the Nugda into, removing the husk of the ingredients and extracting the drink in its purity, a desi seive.

Gurfateh !

Here is an article from the original <edit> - I copied it - old stylee - yes I typed it out ! - It's from I think around 2000

The pictures are from various sources - the 'fuzzy' ones are from <edit> - yes we have ways and means of capturing pictures even if you don't want us to !!! :D

It gives a description of the preparation of Shaheedi Degh - The Pictures at the end give examples of the preparation of Shardaai from paintings.

Enjoy !

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

Shaheedi Degh - 'The Drink of Martyrs'

dsc04048jf1.jpg

The first step of preparing Shaheedi Degh is obtaining five ingredients, Badaam (Almonds),Cuss Cuss (dried Poppy Seeds), Kali Mirch (Black Pepper), Green Ilechi (green Cardamon) and hand picked marijuana leaves. Within the Akali Nihang Dals they will not use almonds cracked by anybody else. They must be cracked fresh by the 'Sukhi Singh' - (The bringer of Happiness Singh, The Nihang that prepares the Sukha)................The Sukhi Singhs must take an Ishnaan before they commence the preparation of Shaheedi Degh. More Satkaar is given to Shaheedi Degh than is given to the Karah Prashaad in any Western Gurdwara Sahib.

dsc04049cn8.jpg

Water from taps is never used. The roots for this Maryada can be traced back to the arrival of the British in India. Before the British came there were no taps, the Akali Nihangs were at war with the British and out of principle refused to drink from the water system that they had created. Other Bibeki Akali Nihangs state the pipes that carry water are punctured in many places consequently the water maybe infected with some impurity. Fresh water is raised from the well in an iron bucket. This way the Sukhi Singhs can be sure that the water they use has not been tampered with.

All five ingredients are placed into the Snheri (Golden Vessels, refers to the stone mortar), the Sukhi Singh adds a little fresh water and begins to perform ragrha ( circling movement) with the Slotr (heavy wooden club). This is done until all the ingredients have been reduced to a green thick paste. Throughout the preparation of Shaheedi Degh the Sukhi Singhs must have their mouths covered and their minds on Gurbani or the Gurmantar. This is vital to the preparation of Shaheedi Degh, only when Gurbani is on the lips of the Singhs preparing it does it become true Shaheehi Degha. Only then is it blessed by Shaheed Singhs.

nihangkitchen2yf2.jpg

sephiws0020mg5.jpg

Only vessels of sarbloh are used to prepare Shaheedi Degh. The use of Shaheedi Degh is vital to Satguru Khalsa Panth Singh Sahib Ji, during the darkest hour of the Gurpanth's history, Sukha was a great friend to the Akali Nihangs. The warrior who had many horrific wounds would be able to continue to fight in one last battle thanks to the aid of Sukh Nidhaan. It's use as part of a whole system of medicine is also talked about within Akali Nihang Singh tradition.

After the paste has been completely ground down it is placed on top of the Sher Kan (Ears of a Lion, Cloth used to extract the moisture from the paste). Water is poured over the paste through the Sher Kan, thus all of the nourishment and flavouring is removed from the paste. This process is repeated many times.

The Sher Kan are squeezed until all the goodness has been removed from the paste........

nihangmakingsukka2cc9.jpg

nihangsmakesidhaiok8.jpg

sherkan7tpnl0.jpg

dsc04051bz7.jpg

dsc04052gn3.jpg

..............................The consumption of Shaheedi Degh is not compulsory for any Nihang Singh. There are many Nihang Singhs that do not drink Sukha. Within the Dal Panth diversity is a strength not a weakness ........................Shaheedi Degh is prepared twice a day. If this maryada was abandoned then Buddha Dal could reclaim the Dals Nagara (Battle Drum) and Nishaan Sahib.

nihangs19ou9.jpg

In this picture we can see the Nugda, this is the dried paste after all the essence has been removed. This Nugda is said to represent the heads of the enemy, after offering Ardas to Akaal Purakh, SatGur Nanak jee and all of the Shaheed Singhs this nugda is thrown against something hard, this represents the smashing of the enemies head.

A battle song is sung before the Nugda is thrown this is known as Nugda Charn.

dsc04050zx0.jpg

Nugda Charn ;

"Grinding Sukha, black pepper and almonds. We make ready a court fit for kings. Whatever Nugda is left we strike at the heads of our enemies. Oh enemy here comes a Nugda picking off your children. Your enmity with the Guru's House will not last long. Today live your life to the fullest. Tommorrow the Khalsaa is attacking. Holding swords in their hands. You would not be able to run and save yourself. Breaking your castle. Grabbing your moustache. Sitting on your chest. Smashing your face. Colouring your face black. Tying you and bringing you into the presence of the Nihnag Singhs. Nihang Singhs are going to take their revenge from you in the fullest. Here comes a ball leaving not walls or trenches. Oh filthy evil foreighn scum where can you run and hide? . Death comes ahead of you Death comes behind you Crying the Battle Cry KAAAAAL !!!!!!!

(Text from <edit>)

(Pictures from various sources)

Some depiction of Shardai from paintings

Circa AD 1850

dsc04054tu1.jpg

Mid 19th Century

dsc04053ir4.jpg

Unknown age

1nihungs3od8rd7.jpg

<Image removed - by member request>

..............................The consumption of Shaheedi Degh is not compulsory for any Nihang Singh. There are many Nihang Singhs that do not drink Sukha. Within the Dal Panth diversity is a strength not a weakness ........................Shaheedi Degh is prepared twice a day. If this maryada was abandoned then Buddha Dal would reclaim the Dals Nagara (Battle Drum) and Nishaan Sahib.

my question is not whether Sukh nidaan is in accordance with Gurmat or not. i have been informed that while many Tarna Dal Nihungs may drink Sukha but at Harianbela this has been stopped and therefore i'm assuming Shaheedi Degh in not prepared there....

so i have two questions:

1) have i been informed wrong about that no-one is allowed to consume Sukha at Harianbela?

2) if the answer to question 1 is thatr no-one can consume Sukha there, then according to Fareed, should their Nagara not have been reclaimed by Buddha Dal?

Dearest Bhai Sahib, Kucha Singh -

I didn't write the article, it came from an earlier version of a certain website - I did give the source but it has been removed by the admin (which they are totally entitled to do and I will respect their wishes).

With regard to your question - the article has been edited (by me) hence the ...... gaps. This was done so as not to cast any aspersions (imagined or real) on any individual or group.

In the original website, under this picture;

nihangkitchen2yf2.jpg

the following was written ;

"Hola Mohalla 1999, Sukhi Singhs preparing Shaheedi Degh at Tarna Dal Haria Vela Chhouni Anandpur Sahib. Even within Jathedar Akali Baba Nihal Singh's Tarna Dal, Shaheedi Degh is still prepared twice a day.If this maryada was abandoned then Buddha Dal could reclaim the Dals Nagara (Battle Drum) and Nishaan Sahib."

As I am not in a postion to confirm that assertion, I did not include that passage - but I did include the part about the Nagara and Nishaan Sahib as that has been confirmed by a number of sources.

I apologise for the typo - it should of read 'Could reclaim' not 'Would reclaim' - that is my sloppy typing.

In your post you have said " Tarna Dal Nihungs may drink Sukha but at Harianbela this has been stopped and therefore i'm assuming Shaheedi Degh in not prepared there" as I have said I am not in a postion to confirm or deny that.

As I have said I have no hidden agenda or intention to offend - as I think most of you know I am not a Nihang - just a very enthusiastic admirer and have been one for at least a couple of decades, if not more !

Gurfateh Parvaan !

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'