A Little Disturbing...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The usage of the term 'Wedding Langar Hall' was incorrectly termed on the website. The room depicted in the pictures is a separate room to the Langar Hall. In the Gurdwara's Langar Hall, the Sangat can, and do sit in Pangat. This other room provides the facility for Chaa/Paani for when Baraat's arrive at weddings. Also, food served in this room is not Langar, since no Ardaas is done for the food's Parvaangee/Bhog. Further, to clarify, no meat or alcohol is ever served in this room. The website will be shortly updated to reflect a more accurate description of the room. Apologies for any unintended offence.

Management Committee, Singh Sabha Hitchin

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The usage of the term 'Wedding Langar Hall' was incorrectly termed on the website. The room depicted in the pictures is a separate room to the Langar Hall. In the Gurdwara's Langar Hall, the Sangat can, and do sit in Pangat. This other room provides the facility for Chaa/Paani for when Baraat's arrive at weddings. Also, food served in this room is not Langar, since no Ardaas is done for the food's Parvaangee/Bhog. Further, to clarify, no meat or alcohol is ever served in this room. The website will be shortly updated to reflect a more accurate description of the room. Apologies for any unintended offence.

The old chai/pani for the baraat issue, just another reason for pakhand really. Never understood why the rules change for the baraat, why does a langar hall become a dinning hall when it comes to feeding the baraat ? not having a pop at hitchin, but making a general comment about the misuse of the langar hall during the chai/pani routine.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thank you for having the decency to come on this forum and clarify. The fact that you interact with worldwide sangat and give your ears to them demonstrates humility and leadership required of a gurudwara committee.

I don't claim to have any correct answers, but I am troubled by the need for a gurudwara to have any need for tables and chairs, with the exception of accommodating the disabled. I know so many young people true to their sikhi who are cosmopolitan and modern in every way who are also troubled by the need for tables and chairs. My experience is that the higher the education, formal or spiritual, and the less the need for tables and chairs in gurudwara.

Do you have any opinions about the possibility of not having tables and chairs at all? Does the separate room ultimately tie to additional revenue by attracting wedding bookings? I ask sincerely. Again, I think you should be commended for dialogue with the sangat here.

If we are wishing to raise a fuss, then we should be willing to help. On that note, could the committee use input from sangat about, at the very least, shaping long term thought?

I don't see anything disturbing... it clearly states that they don't support table/chair in langar hall.. The wedding hall is not langar and it totally serve different purpose..

ehna picky ve hona changa nahey hunda..

Maybe you have a point, help me with my blinders if you can...

Surely if you can have an additional hall for something so significant as Anand Karaj, then you can also have in addition to a small langar hall, a Social Lunch Hall which can serve a different purpose.

Which raises the question, what purpose of Anand Karaj does a "Wedding Hall" serve? Would it be OK to call it "Anand Karaj Hall"?

I don't know the answers bro, just some thoughts.

that's funny.... ma tha samajia thohadee position picky eh. :6

I don't see anything disturbing... it clearly states that they don't support table/chair in langar hall.. The wedding hall is not langar and it totally serve different purpose..

ehna picky ve hona changa nahey hunda..

Maybe you have a point, help me with my blinders if you can...

Surely if you can have an additional hall for something so significant as Anand Karaj, then you can also have in addition to a small langar hall, a Social Lunch Hall which can serve a different purpose.

Which raises the question, what purpose of Anand Karaj does a "Wedding Hall" serve? Would it be OK to call it "Anand Karaj Hall"?

I don't know the answers bro, just some thoughts.

that's funny.... ma tha samajia thohadee position picky eh. :6

I agree with what buddasingh is saying. There's this uncomfortable culture growing in the Gurdwaras nowadays to produce an exceptional service for wedding facilities, it's almost making the Gurdwara's into a corporate venue which caters a separate function room solely for weddings only. When we have a langar hall which discriminates against no one regardless of class and creed, then why are we promoting the wedding guests into some fancier hall with supposedly more "superior" facilities? Think about it, is this really encouraging the real values of Guru Ji's Sikhi!

If sangat can't use the gurdwara hall which is made for special occasions, would you prefer them to book a party hall?

I've been to the Gurdwara and seen that they have a separate langar hall which is just as nice/decent as the tea hall.

I don't know whats its like abroad(outside the uk) but nearly all Gurdwara's in the uk facilitate for wedding guest to use a hall like at that Gurdwara.

I don't see any disturbing here...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

This thread has seen so many ill-advised assumptions and inferences about the usage and context of the room, that if people have genuine concerns, then it is better for them to come and speak directly to the Management Committee. In the first instance, please do this by sending an email to info@sgssh.org. Alternatively, we will be happy to speak to concerned individuals on the phone: the phone numbers of each committee member can be found on the website. We are even happy to facilitate face-to-face meetings if required.

However, please note that based on this thread, we have received some particularly rude and disparaging emails. This makes us question the sincerity of those who have emailed us. In the first instance, we would have preferred it if concerned individuals spoke to us first and fully appreciated the facts before making any assumptions and inferences.

The Gurdwara Sevadaars and Sangat members, as much as possible, seek to create an environment and facility, which at its core has the sole focus on building the capabilities to propagate Sikhi and Sikhi parchar. This can be seen from the activities of the Gurdwara on the website, and if one visited the actual Gurdwara Sahib itself. We may commit many mistakes in meeting this objective. However, before anyone picks out those mistakes, we would appreciate it if they told us of our mistakes in full understanding and knowledge of the facts.

If sangat can't use the gurdwara hall which is made for special occasions, would you prefer them to book a party hall?

The gurudwara langar hall is not outside the scope of special occasions.

I've been to the Gurdwara and seen that they have a separate langar hall which is just as nice/decent as the tea hall.

Which means the tea hall is reduntant?

I don't know whats its like abroad(outside the uk) but nearly all Gurdwara's in the uk facilitate for wedding guest to use a hall like at that Gurdwara.

It is, therefore it should be, respectfully, is not persuasive.

I don't see any disturbing here...

perhaps you have a point there... and of course nothing is happening overnight, just some thoughts

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

This thread has seen so many ill-advised assumptions and inferences about the usage and context of the room, that if people have genuine concerns, then it is better for them to come and speak directly to the Management Committee. In the first instance, please do this by sending an email to info@sgssh.org. Alternatively, we will be happy to speak to concerned individuals on the phone: the phone numbers of each committee member can be found on the website. We are even happy to facilitate face-to-face meetings if required.

However, please note that based on this thread, we have received some particularly rude and disparaging emails. This makes us question the sincerity of those who have emailed us. In the first instance, we would have preferred it if concerned individuals spoke to us first and fully appreciated the facts before making any assumptions and inferences.

The Gurdwara Sevadaars and Sangat members, as much as possible, seek to create an environment and facility, which at its core has the sole focus on building the capabilities to propagate Sikhi and Sikhi parchar. This can be seen from the activities of the Gurdwara on the website, and if one visited the actual Gurdwara Sahib itself. We may commit many mistakes in meeting this objective. However, before anyone picks out those mistakes, we would appreciate it if they told us of our mistakes in full understanding and knowledge of the facts.

I am not sure if you are inferring that I was inferring something? I did ask about revenue stream and wedding halls. It is not unique to any one committee or gurudwara, and as one poster aptly put it, it is something that we have collectively created.

Regardless, I am sorry to hear about the emails. I am sure the committee has handled much more difficult matters than “teenager emails” (forgive me good teenagers).

I have not emailed you in case you’re curious, but I do hope some of the emails are respectful langar for thought.

Issues of halls aside, once again, you come across as a dignified representation of the gurudwara. Please don’t be troubled by the fray here. We’ll be contemplating the next thing, while you continue to work away for the benefit of the sangat.

Please carry on with the work you are doing knowing that a large part of the discussion is not about one gurudwara or gurudwara committees. It is about us as a collective.