Marijuana And Nihangs

tec9

near my relatives in Machiwara there is a gurdwara called " Kirpan Bhet" . do anyone know about the history of this gurdwara?

When Guri Gobind Singh Ji left Machiwara he was carried by Ghuni Khan, Nabhi Khan, Bhai Mani Singh and Bhai Dharam Singh in a palanquin. Guru Ji was stopped by the mughal army. They asked the men who they were carrying and they said it was Uch Da Pir (i.e. the Pir from the village Uch). As a mark of respect the army general requested that he wanted to feed the "Pir". To this the two pathans Ghuni and Nabhi Khan replied that the Pir was fasting (i.e as is the custom in Islam). This was quick thinking as otherwise Guru Ji would have to eat undesirable food. However, the army general insisted he wanted to feed the "servants" of the Pir. The servants could not refuse as it was only the Pir who was fasting. It was at this time that Guru ji told Bhai Dharam Singh and Mani Singh to "bhet" their kirpan in the food and it will be blessed and become parshad before they eat it. From that day onwards kirpan bhet was started as a way of blessing food.

This gurdwara stands at that spot.

It was at this time that Guru ji told Bhai Dharam Singh and Mani Singh to "bhet" their kirpan in the food and it will be blessed and become parshad before they eat it. From that day onwards kirpan bhet was started as a way of blessing food.

In Malaysia the government has basically insisted that all food products should be deemed "halal" and majority of the restaurants have the "halal" mark too.

BUT this doesnt stop so called malaysia "Sikhs" from stuffing their faces with macdonalds, kentucky etc and restaurant food where there is clear "Halal" sign printed!!!

near my relatives in Machiwara there is a gurdwara called " Kirpan Bhet" . do anyone know about the history of this gurdwara?

Chapter 20 Panth Parkash of Rattan Singh (Sakhi Machhiwarde ki likhyate)

Guru Gobind Singh had just escaped Chamkaur Sahib and arrived near the village of Machhiwara, where he devised a plan to travel in disguise. His two companions who had helped him escape, the Pathan brothers Nabi and Gani Khan were disguised as Hajjis, as were some Singhs who were the Guru's bodyguards. While Guruji himself was disguised as Uch da Pir, making way towards his dargah in Uch. They got to the village of Kanaich. There was a Masand in the village called Fateh and Guruji called upon him to help him continue his journey. Guruji asked for the Masands horse and offered compensation, but the evil Masand refused as he feared the authority's noose if he dared to help Guruji. Guru Gobind Singh prophesised that the Masand will one day appear before the noose and indeed in the future the Masand met his death at the Lahore gallows.

Guruji and his companions continued further to another village called Doraha and stopped at a serai. The local Muslims, seeing a holy pir passing amongst them insisted that the Guru and his companions stay the night and eat a meal with them (of course they did not know who the real identity of the 'pir' was).

'Guruji's Pathan companions argued with the local Mulla that the 'pir' was observing roza (fasting) and he only could break this upon nightime by taking strictly oats only. Furthermore they told the local Muslims that the 'pir' would thereafter not say a word as he would meditate with the rosary in silent prayer. To counteract any suspicions, the Pathan brothers told the locals that they and the rest of the group (the Singhs) would happily eat with them.

The Singhs were worried that they would have to eat halal food and break their Khalsa rahet. Guru Gobind Singh told them that they must sanctify the food by touching it with their kirpans. Furthermore he said that in exceptional circumstances or under duress this act does not make one loose one's rahet and thus make one a Muslim. He further said that this clarification only stood as long as a Singh was not in a relationship with a Muslim woman.

Guru Gobind further asked the Singh's to save some food for breakfast by bringing back a portion which he'll keep. Also if they were still concerned after eating the food to imagine that they are bathing at Amritsar before they go to sleep, which will alleviate their fears.

The Singhs did as the Guru said and touched their dishes with the kirpans. The local Muslims questioned this act and the Pathan brothers quickly spoke up, saying that it was a new Islamic practice done by Muslims going on Hajj.

The next day the Singhs, Pathan brothers and Guruji departed. To the Sikhs' delight the left over food that was placed in a bowl before Guruji the previous night had turned into kheer and halwa.

(Doraha village in Machhiwara locality is off the GT road east of Ludhiana - This is where the gurudwara is located and I hope the above story explains some of what you will see if visiting the site).

Guest Chris_Latta

I used to do marijuana when I was in College (late 1960's), but I quit. I don't think any religion can justify the use of it. Sikhs look like good people with good morals. Don't do what I did and kill your brain cells. That's why I'm just a big, fat, nobody on a ranch all to myself and have to talk to the animals for conversation because my family treats me pretty bad and society has rejected me.

the singhs called horses their JAAN BHAIS, they would NEVER EVER think of killing what they considered their brother, and also COMMITING A KUREHIT.

It is the greatest insult to say these Shaheed singhs who gave their everything for sikhi would value their lives over their rehit and their guroo's pyaar. To say such a thing is to SPIT on their memory.

ITS THESE NANGS WHO ARE TWISTING SIKHI, 100% OF PANTHIC JATHAS PROHIBIT MEAT AND DRUGS AS DO 100% OF MAHAPURSHS.

SINGHS WOULD DIE BEFORE COMMITING KUREHIT, NO EXCEPTIONS TO REHIT

END.

Gyani Takhur Singh talks about Jhatka maryada in one of his kathas

As for marijuana i dont see how it can aid one when fighting in battle it decreases memory, increases paranoia and definitely messes up the nervous system...any chemical introduced into the body for a prolong period of time could cause the body to become reliant on it. look at caffiene as a example.

or i could be wrong and dont no what i'm chatting about :-)

Exactly .

I wouldn't care for the circumstances.. I would rather die than go against Guru Ji's Hukam.

Once at an Amrit Sanchaar I asked one of the Panj Piyare that if the consumption of meat is acceptable in the need of survival. He told me that if one cant sustain him/herself with food then one should feast off the true Naam.

thanks angrez and jangal da. that is the sakhi of this gurdwara. i knew it having had darshan of this gurdwara but didnt think that many people had heard of it.

also can the whole world be sikh? I ask this as i was watching a programme on Inuits who live in north north canada. They rely on seals to survive in the land they were born. Could these people ever become Sikhs? and hence as some would insist veggies?

What about nomads ? People who live in mountians ? Jungles? or conditions adverse to growing crops that could sustain a number of people? could these people ever truly be Sikhs?

Also are we vegetarians really vegetarians or do we pretend to be?

i ask this cos so many of God's innocent creatures are killed during the ploughing of the soil and the reaping of the crops by people/machines and the essence/blood/rath of the dead/dying creatures goes into the soil and hence into the wheat/crops/onions etc that we vegetarians eat. I myself have witnessed this and keep thinking im eating dead animals whenever i eat roti and sabzi.

I mean Guru Granth Sahib says that even the buried bodies that find their way in the potters clay. Coudnt these same bodies be finding there way into our food?

Inconvenient truths Chatanga.

Also people should not use results from studies of marijuanaa in the west to comapre to that in East. They are too seperate things, one being refined with chemicals.. i.e. 'skunk' which does have all the negative effects on your brain. Pure sukha (or degh as singhs call it) is different to whats used by people in the west leads to all sorts of problems.

People who say they would rather die than disobeying Gurus hukam... well anyone who even remotely studies our history finds references to Singhs eating meat and having cannibas laced drinks. Both are reffered to in the works of Bhai Rattan Singh Bhangu shaheed whose family gave many genrations of shaheedia for the panth. If you disagree with its use thats fine, but please dont insults the shaheeds of past by suggesting the went against the very Gurus hukam whom they gave their life for.

Giani Thakur Singh gives a good neautral prespective on it.

The other point, some people recognise it was used by Singhs for battlefield reasons and Giani Thakur Singh also says Maharajs fauj were allowed to do it which is why the Nihang Singhs do it. You can joke about these traditions all you want. If you are saying these traditions should be abondoned because we are no longer in war... should they put sell their shastar and horses? put away their nishan and nagaray that they have had since the times of their Gurus? They are concerned with preserving these traditions. If you have a problem with it... its your problem, deal with it and dont make out Puratan Singhs are going against Gurus hukam just because they are doing something the head of YOUR JATHEBANDI said your jathebandi cant do.... dont wast your life arguing about it.