Buddhism And Sikhi

s8220

Gur Fateh,

I have a question to which I'm seeking an answer - I've tried to research it but I'm not satisfied with most of the answers I've come across!

I randomly looked up Buddha on Wikipedia (Sidhartha Gautama) and I started reading about Buddhist philosophy. I was wondering on whether some people could point out differences between Buddhism and Sikhi.

Before we start I thought I'd save some people time by suggesting a few rather simplistic similarities and differences I already know of.

Similarities:

Both believe in meditation,

Both believe in controlling inner desire to rid oneself of pain and suffering,

Both believe in charity and simplicity in life.

Differences:

Buddhists don't follow a God per se, and different sects see Buddha as either an embodiment of God or just an enlightened being.

Buddhists have ordained monks etc

They're fond of shaving their heads...us, not so much ;)

I've also come to discover that although Buddha did undergo a period of self deprivation when he lived like a hermit (not in keeping with our rehit), he did come to realise that this was not the way after coming across a musician who apparently was telling someone that if you have the string too tight it'll snap but too loose and it won't play. He came to realise that he couldn't seek enlightenment in the extremes. Thus he embarked on a "middle-way" which is common in Buddhism.

I was thinking, Buddhists are kind of like Sikhs in certain ways and in other ways quite different. Your thoughts?

Namaste s8220

Buddhists don't follow a God per se, and different sects see Buddha as either an embodiment of God or just an enlightened being.
To many Buddhists, The Buddha might actually be more like the Ten Gurus. Nirvana, is perhaps in a way more like Waheguru. The difference between the two being that Waheguru is the substance behind all being and existance as well as a personal being, where as Nirvana is the the state of being and (in some schools of thought) substance behind all reality, but impersonal. In addition to this, Buddhists believe that our actions (karma) define who we are, and as they are always changing, so does our being always change. Therefore there is no permanent being (like a soul).

Other then these two points, there isn't a whole lot of major philosophical difference between the two religions.

projectnaad has a 2 pager leaflet which may help you.

Excerpt

"Equality Between Men and Women

Buddhism is not a way of life that has historically promoted gender equality. For almost two thousand years in India and Sri Lanka, there were no ordained

women nuns. Also, a large part of Theravada Buddhist texts are devoted to the depiction of women as disgusting creatures which are too repulsive to touch. Since sexual desires were considered a great hindrance in the striving for enlightenment, the monks believed the only way to eliminate their desire was to make the objects of

their attachment less attractive in their minds.

Mahayana Buddhism has however provided opportunities for women to participate in a more equal fashion to men.

Sikhism promotes complete gender equality between men and women and the idea of women as being inferior or repulsive is alien to Sikh thought.

Effort Versus Grace

Buddhism places emphasis on Right Effort as an ingredient for spiritual development. This includes the effort to avoid, to overcome, to develop, and to maintain.

Sikhism teaches people that effort is the initial step towards enlightenment, however it is only through Grace that Atma (soul) will become one with

Paramatma (all-soul).

The SGGSJ says, "If people could meet the Lord by their own efforts, why would

they be crying out in the pain of separation?

Meeting Him in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, O Nanak, celestial bliss is enjoyed".

Effort is nevertheless an important component in spiritual progression and the SGGSJ says, "Through sincere efforts, the mind is made peaceful and calm. Walking on the Lord's Way, all pains are taken away. Chanting the Naam, the Name of the Lord,

the mind becomes blissful".

Differences

God

Buddhism neither denies nor accepts the belief in an all powerful creator, whereas, experiencing oneness with God and God's creation is the most central component within Sikhism.

The SGGSJ says,

"Serving the True Guru, one finds the Lord, the

Treasure of Excellence. His Value cannot be

estimated. The Lord God is my Friend and

Companion. God shall be my Helper and Support in

the end"."