American Sikh's Do Bhangra Dance

_!_GUPT_!_

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any one show where it states in Sikhism no dancing please? Is this something made up or are there strict rules regulations on this?

nicAY tipAY Bgiq n hoie ]

nachiai ttapiai bhagath n hoe ||

By dancing and jumping, devotional worship is not performed.

- Guru Amar Das Ji Mahraj

hir jn nwchu hir hir iDAwie ]

har jan naachahu har har dhhiaae ||

O humble servant of the Lord, let your dancing be meditation on the Lord, Har, Har.

- Guru Ram Das Ji Mahraj

AwvY jwie BvweIAY bhu jonI ncw ]

aavai jaae bhavaaeeai bahu jonee nachaa ||

He comes and goes, and wanders, dancing in countless incarnations.

- Guru Arjan Dev Ji Mahraj

inrBau nwmu ivswirAw nwil mwieAw rcw ]

nirabho naam visaariaa naal maaeiaa rachaa ||

Forgetting the Naam, the Name of the Fearless Lord, he becomes attached to Maya.

AwvY jwie BvweIAY bhu jonI ncw ]

aavai jaae bhavaaeeai bahu jonee nachaa ||

He comes and goes, and wanders, dancing in countless incarnations.

bcnu kry qY iKsik jwie boly sBu kcw ]

bachan karae thai khisak jaae bolae sabh kachaa ||

He gives his word, but then backs out. All that he says is false.

AMdrhu QoQw kUiVAwru kUVI sB Kcw ]

a(n)dharahu thhothhaa koorriaar koorree sabh khachaa ||

The false person is hollow within; he is totally engrossed in falsehood.

Ab moro nwcno rho ]

ab moro naachano reho ||

Now, my dancing is over.

lwlu rgIlw shjy pwieE siqgur bcin lho ]1] rhwau ]

laal rageelaa sehajae paaeiou sathigur bachan leho ||1|| rehaao ||

I have intuitively obtained my Darling Beloved. Through the Word of the True Guru's Teachings, I found Him. ||1||Pause||

First of all, all those quotes on the end of the last page dont refer to dancing for the sake of entertainment, but the practice of several sufi saints to dance to reach God. Just like bani says wearing certain robes or clothes won't help you reach God, there's nothing wrong with doing them.

Secondly, the double standard here angers me... if this was tasteful bhangra done by BROWN people, would this be on here? Time to grow up and worry about our own sikhi before chastising others.

rajdeep that is totally taken out of context.

also nothing wrong with bhangra, in fact the bhangra moves come from the warrior martial arts used by singhs anyway, and i don;t mean gatka.

i didn't watch the vid so don't know how they're dancing, but in general i do not follow any anti-bhangra jatha, and i do see some bad side to dancing, but to totally say doing bahngra is bad is rubbish and has nothing to do with sikhi.

and don't tell me singhs didn;t do bhangra after victory.

i don't have any issues with anyone doing bhangra whether Gursikh or not. i do belive that bhangra is not what it was 20/30 years ago, then it was clean and for family celebrations etc. Now bhangra dance/music is completly associated with Alcohol, Kaam etc. Look no further than the videos that are coming out, you can't even watch them with your family..for this reason i've disassociated myself from bhangra...but hey, each to their own...

my only suggestion to 3HO is to listen to the meanings of the songs they dance to and select only those songs that have a deeper meaning and not just about getting drunk.

when we r in our 8.4 million junes we beg guru ji for 1 life so we can get closer to him.

Then guru ji does great blessings and makes as a singh or singni

and now mosst of as go in bangra and stuff wene we die what do we tell guru ji "oh it was my m8s wedding i was doing danceing/ bhangra. guru ji gives as 1 chance in millions of years and we waste it we should least do 2.5 hours of simran path of seva each day at min but most of this dont do this even me i cant do this so we can ask guru ji to blees as with that. and ask him to take as awaye from the 5 and daneingh/bhangra drugs take as awaye from this crap and get as to guru ji.

gupt says

don't matter

i didnt say there is anything wrong with having fun

THAT IS NOT FUN FUN IS WHEN WE SINGH GURU JI PRAISE GRUOO VAHEGUROO VAHEGUROOO SAY THAT WITH YOUR FULL HEART AND THAT IS FUN.

In gurbani it says

guramukh laahaa lai geae manamukh chalae mool gavaae jeeo |19|

The Gurmukhs reap their profits and leave, while the self-willed manmukhs lose their investment and depart. ||19||

and we mango with nothing because with bhangera so i am sorry gupt bu u r wrong.

Dass is sorry if dass said any thing erorng or if this hurt any one but this the truth.

VAHEGUROOO JO KA KHALSA VAHEGUROOO JI KI FATHE!!!

hope guru blesss as all

gupt says

don't matter

i didnt say there is anything wrong with having fun

not ment for gupt sorry it preeti

she says

there pretty good....sharam di gal ki ya?

the sharm is that we should not be danceing and we should be doing simran saorry gupt u r rite we r sons of pita guru gobind singh ji.

Bhangra is a nice clean, and socially acceptable form of dance that is individualized and usually gender partial.

The athleticism and agility by those individuals is great:

:R:

Additionally, enjoyment of life, happiness, love and caring are the key principles of life we must also endeavor to and aspire to become.

We can not remove the beat from music, so towards tasteful music and clean dancing.