American Sikh's Do Bhangra Dance

_!_GUPT_!_

So if some likes dancing they cannot be a sikh?

If someone wants to dance who cares, they'll grow out of that phase just like every other phase we grow through as human. Its these type of views that put people of Sikhi. Sikhi aint as black and white as some people may think.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those antidancers answer this:

When you do exercise, go out for a run, work out, train, etc... why isn't what you are doing the same as dancing? Most of you listen to something while doing it, usually something with a beat that helps to keep you moving.

And for those who say pssh well ya but ill listen to KEERTAN, then why can't that be applied to "dancing" as well? If its the lyrics that are wrong, then change the lyrics. Its not the dancing that's the problem.

it's a really interesting point just mad eby khalsa 4 ever, and i'm gonna take the other spin of it

what if you're really not thinking about the words your dancing to?? i mean there's so mmaaannnyy punjabi youth who don't know a word of punjabi haha... don't understand speak or learn their own language... there's probably really no way for them to actually know what's beign said in these songs... their dancing boils down to pretty much just exercise

compared to the guy who's trying to get in shape to look good for some girl... sure it's just exercise, but the motivation's kinda shady no??? obviously, i'm taking two extremes here, and there's obviously balances in the middle that can be debated... just trying to expand the argument for a second.

also.. if we take gurbani too literally...i.e, if we depend on STTM too much, we can probably find gurbani that goes against "running"... and "walking"... and possibly even breathing..... so we need to be obtusely careful to not take what we see as gospel... there's much more to the word "naach" than dance... and if you contextually understand various shabads, you'll see that.

For all those antidancers answer this:

When you do exercise, go out for a run, work out, train, etc... why isn't what you are doing the same as dancing? Most of you listen to something while doing it, usually something with a beat that helps to keep you moving.

:) because when i go for a run/jog....im not listening to songs....its only my mp3..WITH KIRTAN ON......and yeh, ur right about the beat thing..... so akj kirtan alll the wayy :Re:

And for those who say pssh well ya but ill listen to KEERTAN, then why can't that be applied to "dancing" as well? If its the lyrics that are wrong, then change the lyrics. Its not the dancing that's the problem.

lol sorry, but i just said kirtan lolll....and yeh, the main point is the lyrics.....and bhangra is done to the crappiset songs on earth....with meaning all related to maya etc

and if u need excersise, join the gym, go on a diet...just dont get influenced into the songs.... if that makes sense lol. :umm:

hahahaah if you cant dance to some also means then that you cant breath or walk??? :)

or if you running or walking your doing a form of dance :) hahahahahaha

some comments r funny and strange at the same time hehehehe

Someone should start a tread on all the stuff narrow minded people try to ban due to their warped understanding of gurbani or for the simple reason they take quotations out of gurbani and try and spin them to meet their points of view. I have listed few before here some more;

No tooth brush or paste –told use a stcik

No deodorant- may attract women

No garlic – plays with guys hormones (best 1 I ever heard)

No bhangra – do nam simran only

No communication with girls – apart from relatives

No televison – too many dirty images

People don’t give in to these Taliban wana be’s these are the people who alienate others from sikhi and give room for these sects do be born. I know you may think this is far fetched but thats what I believe when you make stupid stuff up these baba say look at them over there they have no understanding come to us. Just think about it!

I put it down to secterianism. Different sects within Sikhism have different ways of doing things, as long as they dont bring fundamental messages or scriptures of sikhism into disrepute i couldnt care less what they get upto. Though wearing the Guru's amritdhari bana and then partaking in punjabi cultural dance like bhangra I think is giving wrong impression of the amritdhari's, that Sikhi is all fun and jokes.

3H0 Sikhs havent suffered hardships and brutal strifes and persecution that Asian/Indian/Punjabi Sikhs have throughout our history we can relate to what it means to having to fight for our faith, they dont yet. Thats why their so liberal and dont have many boundaries, they think its narrow mindedness on such issues but I would say they can do bhangra aslong as they dont wear the guru's bana and make it look like a joke. The women in particular if they want to do bhangra they should wear a chuni not a dastaar, women are supposed to be more self restrained and more respectful. I used to look upto 3HO/kundalini yoga type Sikhs as practising Sikhism in a more simple and pure way, but these kinda activities just shows the gradually decline in standards...

has anyone seen a shasterdhari singh with dumalla n bana on the dancefloor? isnt that totally wrong?

and tec9 wen all we are told 2 do is naam simran and not waste time y wud u say it is narrow mindedness or takin bani to literally by not dancing

"No bhangra – do nam simran only"