Name Your Pinds

robocop

Premi5: "Interesting info. I think UK is now considered a third or fourth option for this wanting to go foreign after US, Canada, possibly Australia"

The UK has become the most difficult country to enter in recent years. Student visa crackdown, fraudulent colleges blacklisted (those which sponser indian students), not to mention the new rules to marry a non-EU (a salary of £18,600 minimum: easier for Londoners, not so easy for non Londoners)...on the other hand, Canada and NZ and Australia are begging for people and are dishing out PR as if it's going out of fashion.

Samosasingh: "Doaba region Sikhi is dead right now, they were also considered very backward/poor area's. The majority first settlers who came to England were from these areas and they were the ones who did hard labour as they weren't educted but it has paid off as they are flourishing overseas. But there basic nature is pindu hence they don't know how to hold themselves with tact and grace so they feel the need top show off and put down hence the NRI culture/vulgar songs/bling bling etc etc. You usually won't find that towards the chandigarh/ludhaia side - people are generally more educated and not as pindu.Doaba region Sikhi is dead right now, they were also considered very backward/poor area's. The majority first settlers who came to England were from these areas and they were the ones who did hard labour as they weren't educted but it has paid off as they are flourishing overseas. But there basic nature is pindu hence they don't know how to hold themselves with tact and grace so they feel the need top show off and put down hence the NRI culture/vulgar songs/bling bling etc etc. You usually won't find that towards the chandigarh/ludhaia side - people are generally more educated and not as pindu".

Doaba is more advanced than Malwa and Majha by at least a century. I keep abreast of current affairs and I can tell you, although its only anecdotal evidence, that the majority of the crime committed by british punjabis/sikhs tends to be by people whose orgins are outside of doaba. Whilst the UK is majority doaba, in the last 10 years or so we have had a small influx from other areas and I'm sorry to say, when it comes to dodgy dealings, perverse behaviour, or otherwise, usually (not always) the roads lead to majha or malwa. Of course, there are exceptions. There is a well known Sikh immigration lawyer who has also confirmed what alot of people always knew, that the Sikh men who marry their sisters (yes, you read that correctly) in order to gain entry into Canada, especially the Toronto area, are malwai. Due to this, the Canadian Immigration Department introduced compulsory DNA testing! Before, simply providing wedding day photos were sufficient. But such was the chusst chalaki of these people, that DNA testing had to be introduced. So thats the legacy of malwai's in Canada for you.

Listen Im malwai from Moga and i live in Canada, what you are saying is really unfair, you probably live in the UK. In Canada it used to be only doabis back in the day but now alot of PPL from Malwa have came especially from Moga. We are a really tight nit group and everyone knows everyone, unlike the doabis here who are trying to act like they are white. In canada you never hear about grooming or girls running around with men getting drunk if you do you can know that 99.9% of the time it is doabi. So have your own affairs in order before you point the finger at us. The only major problems facing malwais is illegal immigration and gang violence among the young men as seen in surrey calgary ect and the majority of punjabis in toronto are doabi not malwa. most Malwai ppl in canada live in the western side in BC Alberta ect but there is a growing population in toronto. I do also know that alot of the older doabis (ones that aren't religous) act really snobby towards us and feel some sort of entitlement cos they have established themselves in canada much earlier than we have

• 4 years later...

Good topic Khalsa Ji,

The more recent immigration has been from all over India.

The original Punjabi immigrants to UK, Europe, Americas, Australia etc. seem to belong to the doaba part of Punjab. There were very few immigrants from malwa or maja.

Even looking at this topic, the majority of these pinds are in doaba.

Any views witb regards to this..?

25 minutes ago, MokhamSingh said:

Good topic Khalsa Ji,

The more recent immigration has been from all over India.

The original Punjabi immigrants to UK, Europe, Americas, Australia etc. seem to belong to the doaba part of Punjab. There were very few immigrants from malwa or maja.

Even looking at this topic, the majority of these pinds are in doaba.

Any views witb regards to this..?

Not in East London. It is heavily malwa. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, Premi5 said:

I doubt this is the case

At least of East London -waley I know are Doabia, and I am Malwai

I haven't grown up in the largely brown parts, so I wouldn;t know about them. But Ludhiana and the pinds surrounding it have been heavily represented here, but I concede that the more recent migration seems to be from Doaba.