Did You Know Meaning Of Indian National Anthem?

ocelot

Hi,

My father once said that the National Anthem of India was written in Praise of British rulers. I was just thinking how can be any nation so pathetic that they accept the poem written in praise of foreign rulersa s National Anthem.

I found below in net, and ask your parents or grandparents , they must know it is true .

Indian National Anthem "Jana Gana Mana" is sung throughout the country. Did youknow the following about our national anthem? I didn't. I have always wondered who is the "adhinayak" and "bharat bhagyavidhata",whose praise we are singing. I thought it might be God!

To begin with, India's national anthem, Jana Gana Mana adhinayaka, was written by Rabindranath Tagore in honor of King George V and the Queen of England when they visited India in 1919. To honor their visit Pundit Motilal Nehru had the five stanzas included,which are in praise of the King and Queen. (And most of us think it is in the praise of our great motherland!!!)

In the original Bengali verses only those provinces that were under British rule, i.e. Punjab, Sindh,Gujarat,Maratha.. etc. were mentioned. None of the princely states were recognized which are integral parts of India now - Kashmir,Rajasthan,Andhra, Mysore or Kerala. Neither the Indian Ocean nor the Arabian Sea was included, since they were directly under Portuguese rule at that time.

The Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka implies that King George V is the lord of the masses and Bharata Bhagya Vidhata is "the bestower of good fortune". Following is a translation of the five stanzas which glorify the King:

1st stanza - (Indian) People wake up remembering your good name and ask for your blessings and they sing your glories.

2nd stanza - around your throne people of all religions come and give their love and anxiously wait to hear your kind words.

3rd stanza - Praise to the King for being the charioteer, for leading the ancient travellers beyond misery.

4th stanza - Drowned in the deep ignorance and suffering, poverty stricken,unconscious country? Waiting for the wink of your eye and your mother's (the Queen's) true protection.

5th stanza - in your compassionate plans, the sleeping Bharat (India)will wake up. We bow down to your feet O' Queen, and glory to Rajeshwara (the King). This whole poem does not indicate any love for the Motherland but depicts a bleak picture. When you sing Jana Gana Mana Adhinayaka, whom are you glorifying? Certainly not the Motherland. Is it God? The poem does not indicate that. It is time now to understand the original purpose and the implication of this, rather than blindly sing as

has been done the past fifty years.

I know, i think i just am one of them in most peoples eyes.

But it is stupidity and too mush ignorence, all people who sing are fools and sing it without its meaning.

So do i assume most indians are ignorent fools who do everything without knowing its purpose.

• 2 months later...

Hey buddy,

This is the true mening of National Anthem.

The complete song consists of five stanzas. The first stanza contains the full

version of the National Anthem :

National Symbols

Jana-gana-mana-adhinayaka, jaya he

Bharata-bhagya-vidhata.

Punjab-Sindh-Gujarat-Maratha

Dravida-Utkala-Banga

Vindhya-Himachala-Yamuna-Ganga

Uchchala-Jaladhi-taranga.

Tava

shubha

name

jage,

Tava shubha asisa mage,

Gahe

tava

jaya

gatha,

Jana-gana-mangala-dayaka jaya he

Bharata-bhagya-vidhata.

Jaya he, jaya he, jaya he,

Jaya jaya jaya, jaya he!

Playing time of the full version of the national anthem is approximately

52 seconds. A short version consisting of first and last lines of the stanza

(playing time approximately 20 seconds) is also played on certain occasions.

The following is Tagore’s English rendering of the anthem :

Thou art the ruler of the minds of all people,

dispenser of India’s destiny.

Thy name rouses the hearts of Punjab, Sind,

Gujarat and Maratha,

Of the Dravida and Orissa and Bengal;

It echoes in the hills of the Vindyas and Himalayas,

mingles in the music of Jamuna and Ganges and is

chanted by the waves of the Indian Sea.

They pray for thy blessings and sing thy praise.

The saving of all people waits in thy hand,

thou dispenser of India’s destiny.

Victory, victory, victory to thee.

NATIONAL SONG

The song Vande Mataram, composed in Sanskrit by Bankimchandra Chatterji,

was a source of inspiration to the people in their struggle for freedom. It

has an equal status with Jana-gana-mana. The first political occasion when

it was sung was the 1896 session of the Indian National Congress. The

following is the text of its first stanza :

Page 3

National Symbols

Vande Mataram!