Gurdwara Manikaran Sahib

Singhson

I went there a few years ago and came across something very weird. In some photos of the Gurdwara there are always two familiar faces, one of a woman, and one of a man (both alive), I think they are distant relatives of people who had something to do with the Gurdwara - Apologies if I'm wrong.

Anyway, when I went, alot of sangat were doing mata tekna infront of the woman, like we do mata tekna infront of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I didn't understand this, and didn't feel comfortable doing it, so when it came to my turn, I faced Guru Nanak Dev Ji's photo and did mata tekna towards that - it was right beside her.

What are your opinions on this? Did I do the right thing? (I think I did)

Again, apologies if I have caused any offence as I do not know anything about the Gurdwara other than what Guru Nanak Dev Ji did there when he visited the area.

I went there a few years ago and came across something very weird. In some photos of the Gurdwara there are always two familiar faces, one of a woman, and one of a man (both alive), I think they are distant relatives of people who had something to do with the Gurdwara - Apologies if I'm wrong.

Anyway, when I went, alot of sangat were doing mata tekna infront of the woman, like we do mata tekna infront of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I didn't understand this, and didn't feel comfortable doing it, so when it came to my turn, I faced Guru Nanak Dev Ji's photo and did mata tekna towards that - it was right beside her.

What are your opinions on this? Did I do the right thing? (I think I did)

Again, apologies if I have caused any offence as I do not know anything about the Gurdwara other than what Guru Nanak Dev Ji did there when he visited the area.

VaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

VaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh

I've been to Manikaran Sahib twice and I noticed that people were doing matha tekh to the Sant ji and the Bibi ji (I think they take care of the Gurdwara like they're head of the Committee). Though I didn't do matha tekh to them either, as you only bow down to Guru Ji. Whether anyone found this offensive or not it didn't bother me as only Guru Ji can judge.

In regards to the Gurdwara, Guru Nanak Dev Ji produced hot water springs there and it's still flowing beautifully today. Guru Ka Langar is also cooked in that hot spring water. The surroundings to the Gurdwara is beautiful and it's set in a fresh mountainous area with lakes, etc.

Ive been to Manikaran Sahiba and I must say it was one of the most amazing experiences. First off, the valley there is quite serene and the mighty roar of the river passing through completely invokes you. I didnt want to leave that place it was so enchanting. The unique thing about this Gurdwara is that its totally run by the sangat. There are never any professional ragi jathas who perform kirtan, its always the sangat. And I must say, there is a lot of pyar in the sangat there, and you feel this pyar.

As for people doing matha tek to this mata ji, I personally haven't witnessed this so I can't comment on it. However, I personally don't agree with people doing matha tek to a person in hazoori of Guru Granth Sahib, there's no question about that. I will say this, the one thing I noticed that kind of disturbed me was seeing pictures of Hindu Gods and Godeesses (e.g., Shiva and Mata Sheranwali) hung inside the main darbar hall. These pictures were hung on pillars supporting the ceiling, askew from Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Nevertheless, I would highly encourage all of you to please visit this please next time in India, if you have the chance. Its located in Himachal Pardesh near Kullu Manali. Don't let these kind of minor things get in the way of could be a potental spirtually uplifting experience. Go there for the darshan of Guru ji, and for the darshan of the sangat.

Oh yes, another thing I forgot to mention is that Manikaran Sahib is exteremly beneficial for elderly people with back/knee/joint problems because theres a "garam gufaa" (warm cave) that expels natural heat. People who sit there for like an hour feel much better afterwards due to the cave's natural heat therapeutic effect.

yehh ive been, its amazingggggggg to see how hot the water is :o

and erm, i have no idea what 2 ppl u mean...ive never seen them ever there.... :6

'۹βkaur۹β': They are always there wearing orange..how could you miss them :p

Here's a pic: img8.jpg

I also saw the Hindu gods/goddesses hung inside. It was just a very weird experience for me. It didn't feel normal.

Apart from the hot water, personally, my experience wasn't that good. I didn't do Ishnaan as it smelt of urine in the area, plus the sevadars were very rude. That was just my experience, though.

yehh ive been, its amazingggggggg to see how hot the water is :o

and erm, i have no idea what 2 ppl u mean...ive never seen them ever there.... :6

'۹βkaur۹β': They are always there wearing orange..how could you miss them :p

Here's a pic: img8.jpg

I also saw the Hindu gods/goddesses hung inside. It was just a very weird experience for me. It didn't feel normal.

Apart from the hot water, personally, my experience wasn't that good. I didn't do Ishnaan as it smelt of urine in the area, plus the sevadars were very rude. That was just my experience, though.

lool thanks! but seriously... ive never seen them there ^^^ :umm:

and ishnaan was gr8... lol well when i went it didnt smell :p

and i did go into the cave! :D was fun lol