Gurdwara Manikaran Sahib

Singhson

i went ther last year, couple of things did confuse me but apart from that, the place is amazing especialy the ishnaans in the morning lol takes about 15 mins tryin to get in cus the water soo hot then once u in u dont wanna get out, plus ther was alot of goreh ther

I went to Manikaran without knowing much of the ithass and went opened minded. On the way you can go to Mandi and Rewalsar Gurdwaras which have important historical significances. On the way to manikara you visit some of the most beautiful places on this earth. However when I got there and tried to find out more about this place, I had alot of questions. Like another veer jee, I felt the place smelt quite bad, but that was not why I questioned the place :D

I believe Manikaran is an important Hindu Teerath and one which Hindus are supposed to go to. From what I can remember the story goes like this (sorry for any mistakes, im writing from the top of my head, I wrote out the history which was written on the board onto a piece of paper, but I can find it): Parvati lost her jewellery and it fell into the river, She goes to Shiva and asks him to find it. Shiva goes all over the world to find it but cant find it, he asks all his devotees and they cant find it either. Manikaran was known to have loads of gold, so he trys to trick parvati in giving her one which looked like the one she lost. Parvati realised that it was not the same one and told Shiva to find the real ones. Shiva then finds out the Sheshnag as it and does not know what to do. He then makes Naina Devi (This is the Naina Devi whos mandir is near Keshgarh sahib on the mountain in the background) pargat to go to shesnag. Naina Devi goes to Shesnag who gets really angry and naina devi and hisses, he hits the ground and hot water comes out, Naina devi pulls out her sword. In seeing the sword Shesnag decides to gives Parvatis belongings to Naina Devi.

The above story is why Hindus go there, this is why you will find a mandir where the Gurdwara complex is.

In the 1930/40s. Hari Narain claimes to have had a dream where he meets Guru Nanak DEv jee, Guru jee tells him to make a gurdwara because Guru jee visited this place. Hari Narain makes a gurdwara next to mandir claiming Guru Nanak Dev jee visited the place. According to Hari Narain Guru Nanak Dev jee and Bhai mardana reached manikaran late at night, he asked Bhai marada to go into the city and get flour to make roti. Bhai Mardana returns but they have nothing to start a fire, Guru jee then tells Bhai Mardana to pick up a rock and water comes out. They then use the heat of the water (as people do to make cholai there).

Im dont feel this place is real, firstly why does the whole Sikh panth believe in what some hari narain says. I also dont understand why guru nanak nanak Dev jee is supposed to have picked up this rock to get hot water when there are other springs in the area which he could have easily used. Creating a gurdwara was for Hari Narains advantage, so many Sikhs go there and give the sadhus who live there now and previously money. In the gurdwara there is practices which are totally against gurmat. You will find arti and people bowing to pictures of hari narain next to the Guru granth sahib. Like another Veer jee, I not only saw those pictures but i also saw pictures of Jesus with Guru sahib and im sure there was a picture of Prophet Mohammed. These pictures are all in the darbar. The floor below the darbar in the morning a bell rings and this door opens where people go into the room bow to the person looking (the Sadhu) after the gurdwara and he gives them parshad. I tried to address some of these issues with the Sadhu who was looking after the gurdwara with piyar, although I wasnt sure about this place really being of any historical significance I decided not to discuss this as felt the most important issue to talk to him about was what was happening in the gurdwara complex, I just wanted some kind of maryada taking place in the diwan (for example I dont understand how he can allow people to bow to him in the hazari of Guru Granth Sahib maharaj). Unfortuantly his bodyguards were really rude to me and didnt give me parshad. :umm:

Anyways I think its good to go there and find out for yourselves but dont just accept that this place is real. Its also best to sleep in the gurdwara complex, so get there early, not like after 7pm. Loads of people are missing after visiting this place and never sleep in those places which are on the outskirts of the city in the forest just of the main roads (they are like small hotels). If you go into the city of manikaran, you will find loads of missing posters.

Great post, Ghorandhar. Glad I wasn't the only one that experienced the stuff I mentioned :p

I read on a blog last night that the Gurdwara itself isn't run by the SGPC (no solid evidence ofcourse). If true, maybe that's why there is really odd stuff going on there?