Understanding Meaning Of A Tuk

I came across a tik' explaining the purpse of Ongkar.I am sharing it with the sangat for a clarification.

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

From Ongkaar, the One Universal Creator God, Brahma was [929-17 and subsequently lines follow]

He kept Ongkaar in his consciousness.

From Ongkaar, the mountains and the ages were created.

Ongkaar created the Vedas.

Ongkaar saves the world through the Shabad.

Ongkaar saves the Gurmukhs.

WE have in Bani

'Naam de Dhaarey sagle Jant'.

and many others as well that state to the effect that everything is created from Naam. What is the equivalence of Naam and ongkaar.Kindly think it over and give your valuable opinion.

Regards

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gur paramaesar eaek hai sabh mehi rehiaa samaae ||

The Guru and the Transcendent Lord are one and the same, pervading and permeating amongst all.

The question has been on Board for quite sometime. It seems that no one is interested in the answer as the answer may raise many controversies on the Term 'Guru'.

If the meaning of Guru is not clear to us how should we proceed further.

If someone has to answer , it may kindly be done so elase this religion is also like Hinduism where Lord Krishan declares Himself as the God in Gita.

Where is the difference between the two then.?

No guru can be God as all of them came here thru. womb and all died like any other human being. Hence those Gurus cannot be all pervasive.

Only God is all pervasive and omnipotent and omni present.

Regards to all the sangat.

It seems that you have your answer to your question already. You just want to get into a arguement with someone and say exactly what you wanted which was this:

No guru can be God as all of them came here thru. womb and all died like any other human being. Hence those Gurus cannot be all pervasive.

No Guru died. The body perished, but the body was not the Guru. Guru is the word of God. Guru Nanak Dev ji is the True Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is the True Guru. Bani is Guru, Guru is the Bani. There is no difference between Guru and God; they are one and the same.

The Naam is obtained from the True Guru; by His Grace, God is found. ||4|| ang 233

Here Guru ji is sayin to us that Naam is obtained from the True Guru and if Guru Nanak Dev ji is not the True Guru and he died then why are we reading his Bani? To read Gurbani would be foolish because if the Guru who wrote this bani died, what do you think will happen to us! Then these next tuks clears things up for us

O Nanak, through the Naam, greatness is obtained; through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, He is realized. ||8||5||22|| ang 68

O Nanak, I listen and chant the Lord's Sermon; through the Guru's Teachings, I am fulfilled by the Name of the Lord. ||4||6|| ang 96

In this world, the only real profit is the Name of the One Lord; it is earned by contemplating the Guru. ||6|| ang 55

The Perfect Guru is found, by great good fortune. Serving the Guru, pain does not afflict anyone. No one can erase the Word of the Guru's Shabad. Nanak is the Guru; Nanak is the Lord Himself. || 4 || 7 || 9 || ang 865

• 2 weeks later...

I came across a tik' explaining the purpse of Ongkar.I am sharing it with the sangat for a clarification.

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

From Ongkaar, the One Universal Creator God, Brahma was [929-17 and subsequently lines follow]

He kept Ongkaar in his consciousness.

From Ongkaar, the mountains and the ages were created.

Ongkaar created the Vedas.

Ongkaar saves the world through the Shabad.

Ongkaar saves the Gurmukhs.

WE have in Bani

'Naam de Dhaarey sagle Jant'.

and many others as well that state to the effect that everything is created from Naam. What is the equivalence of Naam and ongkaar.Kindly think it over and give your valuable opinion.

Regards

ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਮੋਹੁ ਗੁਬਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਬੋਲੈ ॥

मनमुखि मोहु गुबारु है दूजै भाइ बोलै ॥

Manmukẖ moh gubār hai ḏūjai bẖā▫e bolai.

The self-willed manmukh is trapped in the darkness of emotional attachment; in the love of duality he speaks.

ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਸਦਾ ਦੁਖੁ ਹੈ ਨਿਤ ਨੀਰੁ ਵਿਰੋਲੈ ॥

दूजै भाइ सदा दुखु है नित नीरु विरोलै ॥

Ḏūjai bẖā▫e saḏā ḏukẖ hai niṯ nīr virolai.

The love of duality brings pain forever; he churns the water endlessly.

In the above tuks we have a reference to duality, a term that has appeared at many places in the Granth Sahib. What exactly is the meaning of duality. I shall be very grateful if light is thrown by the members.

Thx.

• 3 weeks later...

sqguru syiv gux inDwnu pwieAw iqs dI kIm n pweI ] (32-9, isrIrwgu, mÚ 3)

Serving the True Guru, one finds the Lord, the Treasure of Excellence. His Value cannot be estimated.

--

The above 'tuk' states that by serving the 'true guru' one finds the God i.e Akaal. Who is the true guru for us.it is the 'sabad' the SGGS. What would be the contextual meaning of this. I shall be grateful for the response of the respected members.

Regards.

There is no contextual meaning of bani. It is same in each word, each line, each page. Even if you shuffle the banis, the meaning is same. But you need gurujis mehar to know this, otherwise its only mystical words.

As for who Guru Nanak was please read Aarta of Guru Nanak by Baba Sri Chand ji. Babaji wrote it after he had a vision of who Guruji really was during deep and prolonged Samadhi.

There is no contextual meaning of bani. It is same in each word, each line, each page. Even if you shuffle the banis, the meaning is same. But you need gurujis mehar to know this, otherwise its only mystical words.

As for who Guru Nanak was please read Aarta of Guru Nanak by Baba Sri Chand ji. Babaji wrote it after he had a vision of who Guruji really was during deep and prolonged Samadhi.

There has to be a meaning to the bani else persons like me should stop understanding bani and concentrate on 'Waheguru' and carry on.This shall be the sum total of sikhi. However, it is not to state that the significance of the fourth state i.e above Trigunas. If one attain that state there is not much scope for bani as in that case the person stands understanding the message.

If Bani is not for an ordinary person it shall not be profitable for illeterate or literate. True Grace of God is required in almost every act of the human being. But then understanding the meaning of Tuk or a line is well within the scope of being a sikh.Frankly speaking, I shall not read another Teeka to understand what Guru ji was. He has stated that in Mool Mantra.

Instead of saying 'there is no contextual meaning of bani' ,it should have been more appropriate if you could have expanded on the meaning that you should have assigned to the above 'tuks'. I do refer to the Teeka of Dr. Sahib singh and post a question when the Teeka stop answereing the question.

Yes, I shall try to read that you have suggested.Kindly give me the source or link,if the Aarta is available on the internet.

some musings and ramblings!!

Thanks and regards.

I told you there is no contextual meaning of bani. Parbrahm parmeshwar is the only true guru. There were not ten but one guru.That True Guru is shabd guru and resides in and as Guru Granth Sahib. And Khalsa represents the spirit of One true Guru i.e Akaal Purkh. All Gods Godessess are outside this scope and so are any gunas. In this age Mukti is possible only through Bani. That Bani is true guru which is parbrahm. There is no difference between Bani and Guruji. Doing sewa of sggs is doing sewa of Parbrahm or Guru Nanak. In the tuk True Guru and lord are same i.e parbrahm guru nanak angad amardas ramdas arjan hargobind harrai harkrishan teghbahadur gobind. Serving the guru you become one with him. By taking amrit you represent him on this earth.

"The light of a lamp which lights another does not abate. Similarly a spiritual leader and his disciple become equal, Nanak says the truth."

Thanks Veer ji for clarifying that for us Guru is Sabad Guru only and that is equivalent to God only and one is able to experience him by constant practice of bani by implementing it in real life.

I do post my doubts in this thread and shall be very grateful if these are attended to in future as well.

I thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

What would be the meaning of the following line.The question is poised as the translation puts Brahma as the creator and this is not as per accepted sikh philosophy.

ਸੁਅਸਤਿ ਆਥਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਬਰਮਾਉ सुअसति आथि बाणी बरमाउ ॥

Su▫asaṯ āth baṇī barmā▫o.

I bow to the Lord of the World, to His Word, to Brahma the Creator.