Sikh Research Institute

Don’t know anything about the rep of people supporting this group and I am not affiliated with it. However, I do know the history of Harinder Singh to some extent. He is very sincere in seva and very intelligent. This is not to say that everything SikhRI does is intelligent or that they may not be wrong on certain things, but Harinder Singh is a rare gem for the Sikh community.

The above is far from truth.If he does not acknowledge Dasam Granth then how can he be a sikh even. He is accepting sikhi as half. I know this by myself very well. We were arranging to have a seminar of Dasam Granth last year at Sacramento. Harinder sent his agent to sabotage that.They had already misled president of Gurudwara at eleventh hour to go against that. But due to sheer knowldge of singhs about Dasam Granth enabled them to confront this agent in the meeting and made his plan to fail.When one is eulogised as a gem of sikhism that means he has knowledge of sikh scriptures and leads a life of simran abhiasi. Harinder singh is far away from this position.

• 4 weeks later...

Waheguru Je Kha Khalsa, Waheguru Je Ke Fateh:

I just wanted to chime in as I see this thread has had some recent activity in light of the recent controversy surrounding the Sojhi curriculum at Fremont Gurdwara which I understand has now been removed...

I'd like to thank everyone who has weighed in so far. I continue to believe that there is a great deal of potential for an entity like the Sikh Research Institute. As mentioned in my original post, they have done some good work such as helping with the making of the Widow Colony. But the good that they do should not give them a pass when they are wrong. I am convinced, now more than ever, that the worldwide sangat, particularly those here in North America need to stand up and refute some of what Harinder Singh is saying.

Just to recap, here is a sampling of the more controversial aspects of Harinder Singh's "research" courtesy of Panthic Weekly:

Do not believe in Dasam Granth

Promote meat eating

Promote pre-marital dating, do not allow parents in their camps

Promote 3 bani nitnem with only 6 pauri Anand Sahib

Do not believe in reading gurbani for our soul, only for research

Believe Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a book of knowledge and not Pargat Guran Ki Deh

Carry Guru Ji in suitcases to their camps etc

Do not believe in Chaur Sahib, Parsad bhog, Guru Ji's bastar and other daily sewa

Has changed Gurmantar from Waheguru to Vahguru

Has removed reference to Sri Nankana Sahib from Ardas

Has changed Dohre - from Guru Manyo Granth to Guru Panth

Has disrespected Guru Ji by saying Dasam Pita Ji was saved by sikhs in Chamkaur (vs Guru saves us all)

Has written disrespectful things about Pancham Pita's shaheedi and believe if Sukhmani Sahib could not save Guru ji from hot tavi, how can it help a sikh's problems

I'm all for people having an opinion but he should be prepared to back these up. Ideally he would participate in a debate similar to the one that the Singhs in Toronto had with Kala Afghana a few years back. Bhai Bhinderpal Singh would strike me as a good person to participate in such a debate. From everything that I have heard, Harinder has so far refused to participate in a debate each time he has been requested to do so. I think we should try and identify folks within the community who are just as articulate as he is and tackle each one of his blasphemous assertions...just my two cents.

Thoughts? Comments?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

[Has changed Dohre - from Guru Manyo Granth to Guru Panth]

I have had a look at their website and they have made a plan for teaching the Dohra to the Kids. They havent said in that that they are changing the Dohra.

http://www.sikhri.org/downloads/Revised%20...sson%20Plan.PDF

Can anyone shed some light because I am confused?

I really dont mean to be stupid or anything but is there some actual proof of the other things that they are doing wrong. And if there is where can we find it.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh