Falconry And Gurus

wjjk wjkf,

I was reading about falconry and found that it involved allowing the bird of prey to hunt. I personally feel this is the nature of the animal. But was wondering if the guru allowed this. I'm sure he would have as it is a part of nature. I am, of course, not saying anything that guruji allowed the killing of other animals, no way. But if it is the nature of another animal, then it is not us. I guess I am asking because I would like to learn falconry but wanted to know the spiritual implications. Please do not say anything like don't worry about trivial things... but some solid facts would be great.

Thanks,

Moorakh of the duniya,

wjkk wjkf...

• 3 years later...

What Are Raptors?

Falcon11.jpg

Falcons, eagles, hawks, and owls are all birds of prey, also known as raptors. Just as with ‘miner’s canaries’, today’s critically endangered raptors are sensitive and ominous indicators of the earth’s lack of environmental equilibrium and sustainability.

There are approximately 275 species in the Order Falconiformes, which include falcons, hawks, eagles, kites, and old world vultures. Raptor classification is often under revision, to the extent that European morphological standards are different from those of North America. A raptor uses sight and hearing to locate prey, which is dispatched with opposing hind talons and a curved, hooked beak. Their fast-growing young generally reach full size at four weeks, and are hunting for themselves at approximately 10 weeks with some assistance from their parents. Adult female raptors can be more than 30 percent larger than the males with whom they breed, and breeding pairs mate for life.

Since the misty dawn of man’s recorded history, trained falcons have balanced atop the gloved hands of virtuous saints and tyrannical emperors alike. Prized booty of men of ubiquitous greed, falcons have cast their sublime gaze to witness civilizations relentless march across the untamed steppes of Asia, to the refined palaces of Mughal princes.

The imperious fist of Genghis Khan often carried a white Gyrfalcon, displayed on the Emperor’s flag as the symbol for the 12th century Mongol Empire.

Kublai Khan possessed 8,000 trained falcons, of which 2,000 were rare Gyrfalcons. Kublai Khan’s renowned falconry hunts at Xanadu were directed from his royal tent, suspended between four elephants. The roof of Kublai Khan’s elephantine tent would open, so the Mongol leader could cast his favorite Gyrfalcon out to pursue prey, while the Mongol Kha Khans reclined in oriental splendor, to watch a splendid avian battle unfold hundreds of feet above.

Falcons have powerful – in fact spiritual – meaning in the lives of both Sikhs and Muslims. The Muslim prophet Mohammed hunted with trained falcons, whose prey is prescribed in the Holy Koran as Halaal (acceptable) for the diet of Muslim believers. Arab falconers live with one foot in the world of their ancestors and the Muslim prophet Mohammed, when they return to the desert each year to hunt with priceless collections of al-Hurr (trained sport falcons).

Sikh Gurus often hunted with falcons. The 10th Sikh prophet Siri Guru Gobind Singh-Ji Maharaj, was called the Chitta Baj Walla (‘Lord of the White Falcon’) by his followers, prior to a clash with the Muslim Emperor Aurangazeb, in a battle that began during a contentious dispute over the Guru's ownership and use of a pure white Gyrfalcon.

The Sikh Guru's white falcon was used to intercept the Mughal Emperor's messenger pigeons, used for collecting royalties. The administration of Aurangazeb's territory became problematic, until war was declared in a Hukam-Nama. In the heat of battle, Guru Gobind Singh intercepted Aurangazeb's messenger pigeons alive, to learn the Muslim Emperor's military strategy in advance. On Guru Gobind Singh's orders, the text was altered and the pigeons were sent onward, unharmed to Aurangazeb's Hill Rajas. Thus, every movement and strategy of the Mughals were known to the Sikhs, because of their trained falcons.

This battle marked the Sikh ascendancy in India's Punjab, stretching to far western Afghanistan. With help from trained hunting falcons, the Sikh's pluralistic government and martial spirit forced the decline and fall of oppressive Mughal tyrants.

taken from : http://www.savethefa...rg/raptors.aspx

in this weeks local newspaper, in wolverhampton, there is a story about a new falconry centre starting up and they are looking for volounteers to work with the birds, its only about 12 miles away from me.

I am thinking of helping, but can anyone tell me what is so important about falconry? or for Sikhs to learn falconry?

Are falcons regularly of use in war?

or is it a nishani of kings/rajas?

is it a dead art, that is worth reviving?

Falconry isn't a common sport in USA or the UK but because it's allowed through licensing, falconry has saved the native bird species from being on the endangered species list. Falconers actually helped save various species from the endangered species list because majority of the birds rarely make it past their first year (mainly due to interference caused by man).

The place where the art has virtually died is in India. A lot of the native birds are being wiped out and I'm pretty sure falconry is outlawed in India but a very select few might still carry out the tradition off papers.

It's not an expensive sport to get into but it requires a bunch of time and effort. You'll need a mew. In the US you need to pass a test (which isn't easy) and then get the equipment (there's a checklist) and then become an apprentice (find someone willing to do that). Here you have to do an apprenticeship for two years and then you become a general falconer and can own two birds at a time. Not sure how it is in the UK. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that explain the process. It's well worth getting into the sport if you ask me, when I'm done with my studies and I'm back home this is one of the things that I will be doing.

I would like to think falcons would be used in war but I guess it's more of a hobby

http://www.themodern...e.com/index.htm

http://apfalconry.pr...lay&thread=3811

Knowledgeable fellow with an awesome beard :)

Hunting wolves in Mongolia with golden eagles. In USA you need to be a master falconer to even be able to apply for rights to capture one. *warning* this video contains too much awesomeness in one vid lol. They hunt to survive.

A man from Hampshire (possibly close to you Chatanga). He's very, very knowledgeable in falconry and I'd recommend you get in touch with him as well if you want to really get into the sport.

i didnt like that 2nd video at all, Wolves are my favourite animal.

the eagles in that video seem to be taking a risk though, in the one attack , the wolf would have killed/injured seriously the eagle if the other one hadnt joined in.

in the wild, eagles would swoop downwards directly onto a wolf/sheep and crush its spine with its talons(very powerful) and kill the animal more or less straight away. These eagles seemed to be coming sideways at the wolf.

i didnt like that 2nd video at all, Wolves are my favourite animal.

the eagles in that video seem to be taking a risk though, in the one attack , the wolf would have killed/injured seriously the eagle if the other one hadnt joined in.

in the wild, eagles would swoop downwards directly onto a wolf/sheep and crush its spine with its talons(very powerful) and kill the animal more or less straight away. These eagles seemed to be coming sideways at the wolf.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of animals being killed myself but it is nature. Even wild eagles (without interference of man) do some very brutal things like catch certain animals off the side of steep hills and throw them off for easy kills. Even in the wild there are fights like these, rarely is there an instant kill. Sad to watch but amazing at the same time.

It's sick to be amused by it but once someone accepts it happens there are two options imo - accept that it happens and respect nature or to take pleasure in suffering of animals.

im not looking at it from a sporting angle, but a religious one.

I think the two are one in the same, the reason it became such a symbol for Sikhs is because of what the baaj represented- the rebel warrior spirit that opposes tyranny and injustice.

Not sure though, perhaps someone else could be of more help.

Chatanga

Mainly there are anecdotes in texts stating that the Gurus kept a Baaj (Falcon) with them.

Also see these links:

http://www.info-sikh.com/PageBaaj.html

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/White_Falcon#Guru_Gobind_Singh_Sakhis

Report on how the Baaj is on the verge of extinction:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20101213/punjab.htm#16