B4 The British Took Over Punjab

Just to balance the family stories out.....my family is the complete opposite. Everyone was amritdhari. It was uncommon to find anyone who had not taken Amrit and most of the children had taken Amrit too. This is all from what my nana ji told me. He would have been in his 90's or 100's.

He was from Pakistan Punjab (dunno if this makes a difference) but anyways he knew about the Guru's etc when he was young. His family used to tell Sakhi's at bedtime. And no girl was married into the family unless they had taken Amrit.

But I also remember him sayin there was a lot more integration back in the days. People were happier to visit Hindu Mandirs, Muslims were happy to come Gurdwara etc. He was quite hurt by the fact that the youth of today were hating pakistan when Pakistan as he said was India anyway.... Back in the day it wasn't like tht....everyone just got along and enjoyed the experience...but anyways i agree with S1ngh the impression i got was that people were more religious then and there were more amritdharis....I do believe there ha been a decline esp if you look at the youth of Punjab today.

The first Sikh in our dynasty (Royal dynasty from Orissa who settled in the Doaba in the 10th century and also ruled the Doaba), was a contempary of Akali Baba Phula Singh. The Gurus did most parchar in the Majha area, but not in Doaba. Thats why that Sikhs in Doaba form just 45% of the population, while in Majha they make 61% of the Population. But Akali Phula Singhji who were Doabi themself, did parchar of Sikhi in the area, the first Sikh to do so, and had results. IN that process, the great grandfather of my great grandfather, who was born in the beginning of the 19th century (anytime between 1800 and 1820), took amrit from the hands of Akali Phula Singh ji. From there all were amritdhari in the family. Till my grandfather, who was born in the 1930s, all were amritdhari. Howhever my dad tells me that his grandfather (my great grandfather) was amritdhari and wore gatra, but his grandmother didn't wear gatra... So this says something about Amrit and women in the olden times.

Sikhi was considered same as Hinduism in many areas of Punjab, where Sikhs were in the minority and Hindus were the majority. That explains why still many traditional Sardar homes have Hindu deities pics alongside that of our Gurus. That also explains why Sikhs (atleast in my area, as I witnesses last year in india) go to the mandir and consider Hindu deities as equals to our Gurus.

Sikhi wasnt the same it is now.

Some estimates by me (Bhul Chuk Maaf)

1469 - 1708 - REAL SIKHI

1708 - 1849 - 99% Fake SIKHI

1849 - 1947 - 50% Fake SIKHI

1947 - 1978 - 35% Fake SIKHI

1978 - 1995 - 20% Fake SIKHI

1995 - 2008 - 10-15% Fake SIKHI