Sikh Girl Wins Kara Court Case

WILDSINGH

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kara case involving a South Wales school

Statement by the Sikh Federation (UK)

The Sikh Federation (UK) has been involved with the Kara case involving a South Wales school when first approached by the family via Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton in October 2007.

The Federation has no regrets whatsoever in helping the family and in re-asserting the legal right of ALL Sikhs (Amritdhari and non-Amritdhari) to practice their faith and not to have any of their articles of faith removed by a school, employer etc. It has been a shame that Sikhs have had to return to the courts 25 years after the historic Mandla v Lee case in the House of Lords in 1983 that afforded Sikhs (and Jews, but not others) this right.

There is so much that many do not know about what the family has gone through. No family, Sikh or non-Sikh family, should have to experience, the discrimination, verbal and physical attacks etc. they have endured. Anyone calling themselves a Sikh should be prepared to stand up for such families as a matter of principle and if they truly understand the teachings of our Gurus and continue to live their lives as Sikhs.

We agree 100% that every Sikh should aspire to become an Amritdhari. The courts understand this and it was excellent to hear Sarika in January 2008 outside the Welsh Assembly publicly express her desire to become an Amritdhari to hundreds of Sikhs and the media. She should be given time to learn more about the faith she has chosen and we should all help her in her desire to be blessed with Amrit.

It is a real shame that some Sikhs posting on discussion forums or speaking publicly on radio are being very narrow minded and believe only Amritdhari Sikhs should have the right to wear the Kara or fight such cases. It is difficult for anyone to argue the Panj kakkars do not have equal status, although some would make a special case for Kesh. However, if we were to accept the argument of those that say 'only Amritdhari Sikhs have the absolute right to any of the kakkars' would they be silent and in agreement if tomorrow all schools and employers in the UK said Sikhs had to remove their Kesh unless they were an Amritdhari if they wanted to go to school or work. We suspect there would be (and rightly so) a huge outcry by Sikhs and non-Sikhs.

In short those (particularly some Amritdhari Sikhs) that are quick to criticise Sarika or any other Sikh that is aspiring to become an Amritdhari Sikh need to realise their views on this would and do turn people away from Sikhi. How should a younger Sikh go about moving towards Amrit and adopting each of the panj kakkars if Amritdhari Sikhs held such views on an all or nothing approach.

Many organisations (Sikh and non-Sikh) have been involved in this successful campaign and all should be congratulated and supported in similar endeavours.

The Sikh Federation (UK) was instrumental in introducing Liberty to the family and advising both along the way. Winning over political support e.g. the local MP Ann Clwyd by using the influence of other politicians, getting the local education authority to withdraw support from the school, organising a successful protest outside the Welsh Assembly that resulted in new guidance being issued to schools the same week and the successful petition by over 200 Sikh Gurdwaras and other organisations that was submitted to 10 Downing Street just before the case was heard in the High Court were just some of the activities where the Sikh Federation (UK) took the lead - despite criticism of the sort we see from a small group of Sikhs, the secular extremists, some other religious groups that believe Sikhs get sprecial treatment and activists from right wing groups.

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

Also posted separately at:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showto...t=0#entry361370

Vah Vah! Another great job by the Feds. Another page for the annual Fedy booklet for 08/09.

wow, i never knew some people could get this shallow...

i must say i'm really suprised Rupinder Singh...i've always looked to you as someone older than me that always provides a balanced and well thought out view point of things...chalo

Did you notice guys. Indian media in general did not report on this news. NDTV, Hindustan times etc. all quite. Generally they are very quick to report international incident of hatred on Sikhs. But Sikhs legal win is not acceptable to them on international forum. Hinduvta media is very cunning

The Sikh Federation (UK) has been involved with the Kara case involving a South Wales school when first approached by the family via Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton in October 2007.

The Federation has no regrets whatsoever in helping the family and in re-asserting the legal right of ALL Sikhs (Amritdhari and non-Amritdhari) to practice their faith and not to have any of their articles of faith removed by a school, employer etc. It has been a shame that Sikhs have had to return to the courts 25 years after the historic Mandla v Lee case in the House of Lords in 1983 that afforded Sikhs (and Jews, but not others) this right.

There is so much that many do not know about what the family has gone through. No family, Sikh or non-Sikh family, should have to experience, the discrimination, verbal and physical attacks etc. they have endured. Anyone calling themselves a Sikh should be prepared to stand up for such families as a matter of principle and if they truly understand the teachings of our Gurus and continue to live their lives as Sikhs.

We agree 100% that every Sikh should aspire to become an Amritdhari. The courts understand this and it was excellent to hear Sarika in January 2008 outside the Welsh Assembly publicly express her desire to become an Amritdhari to hundreds of Sikhs and the media. She should be given time to learn more about the faith she has chosen and we should all help her in her desire to be blessed with Amrit.

It is a real shame that some Sikhs posting on discussion forums or speaking publicly on radio are being very narrow minded and believe only Amritdhari Sikhs should have the right to wear the Kara or fight such cases. It is difficult for anyone to argue the Panj kakkars do not have equal status, although some would make a special case for Kesh. However, if we were to accept the argument of those that say 'only Amritdhari Sikhs have the absolute right to any of the kakkars' would they be silent and in agreement if tomorrow all schools and employers in the UK said Sikhs had to remove their Kesh unless they were an Amritdhari if they wanted to go to school or work. We suspect there would be (and rightly so) a huge outcry by Sikhs and non-Sikhs.

In short those (particularly some Amritdhari Sikhs) that are quick to criticise Sarika or any other Sikh that is aspiring to become an Amritdhari Sikh need to realise their views on this would and do turn people away from Sikhi. How should a younger Sikh go about moving towards Amrit and adopting each of the panj kakkars if Amritdhari Sikhs held such views on an all or nothing approach.

Many organisations (Sikh and non-Sikh) have been involved in this successful campaign and all should be congratulated and supported in similar endeavours.

The Sikh Federation (UK) was instrumental in introducing Liberty to the family and advising both along the way. Winning over political support e.g. the local MP Ann Clwyd by using the influence of other politicians, getting the local education authority to withdraw support from the school, organising a successful protest outside the Welsh Assembly that resulted in new guidance being issued to schools the same week and the successful petition by over 200 Sikh Gurdwaras and other organisations that was submitted to 10 Downing Street just before the case was heard in the High Court were just some of the activities where the Sikh Federation (UK) took the lead - despite criticism of the sort we see from a small group of Sikhs, the secular extremists, some other religious groups that believe Sikhs get sprecial treatment and activists from right wing groups.

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

Absolutely 100% spot on! I think it is about time some "Sikhs" on this forum took a good look at what it means to be a "Sikh" - if Bhai Kineyaa Jee could see the light of Akaal Purukh in all, what happened to todays "Sikhs"?

Its obvious that the Sikh federation has been instrumental in yesterdays outcome, and a true reflection of their motto "never flinch from performing righteous deeds". This case will not only assist Sarika Singh, but also the hundred (if not thousands) of school children who are discriminated against because of their RIGHT to wear the Kara - I know immediately, schools in Leicestershire are revisiting their policies with regards to the Kara and PE lessons!

If Sarika Singh needs advice, help and guidance on Sikhi - I suggest she avoid this forum! Individual organisations (Young Sikhs UK, KAURAGEOUS etc) can welcome her with open arms - for Guroo Jee says: "charan saran gur EK penda jae chal, satgur kot penda agae hoe laith hae" - in my view, she has taken the first step - now Guroo Jee will do the rest!

Finally... five years ago, I was a monee who was supported by the Sikh Federation... today, with the blessings and guidance of Guroo Granth Saahib Jee and the assitance of many brothers and sisters who saw me as one of them, I walk the Guroo's Amrit laid path, for the third year... think of what the same love, appreciation and respect for Sarika Singh could do to change her destiny.

Well done Sarika and well done SF UK!

well done to everyone involved in the case !!

despite the Mandla case, many sikh bachay/bachiaan have had problems with schools saying they "cant" wear karay particularly with p.e. lessons so there was a clear need for Sikhs to do some parchaar. the school took a ridiculous stance and pushed it all the way to the high court so its their fault but well done to all involved for not backing down and re-enforcing our human rights.

also, Sarika is welcome on the forum. since its an open forum you get the odd negative person who posts something stupid but they are under Quality Control moderation now.

http://www.sikhsangat.org/news/publish/eur..._Of_Faith.shtml

:D

Guest Gray Apes
Did you notice guys. Indian media in general did not report on this news. NDTV, Hindustan times etc. all quite. Generally they are very quick to report international incident of hatred on Sikhs. But Sikhs legal win is not acceptable to them on international forum. Hinduvta media is very cunning

Sikh girl wins case to wear 'kara' in school

London, July 29

A teenage Sikh girl today won a legal battle to wear 'kara', a religious bangle, in her school, which banned her from attending classes for breaking the "no jewellery" rule nine months ago. Sarika Watkins Singh (14) was excluded from Aberdare Girls' School in South Wales in November 2007, for refusing to remove a wrist bangle.

Justice Silber said the bangle - known as the kara - was a symbol of her Sikh faith and not a piece of jewellery. "The school is guilty of indirect discrimination under race relations and equality laws." As a sequel to the judgment, Sarika will be returning to the school in September wearing the kara. Sarika said: "I am overwhelmed by the outcome and its marvellous to know that the long journey I have been on has finally come to an end. I am so happy to know that no one else will go through what me and my family have gone through. I just want to say that I am a proud Welsh and a Punjabi Sikh girl." — PTI

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2008/20080730/world.htm#7

Gurjeet Singh

National Press Secretary

Sikh Federation (UK)

Absolutely 100% spot on! I think it is about time some "Sikhs" on this forum took a good look at what it means to be a "Sikh" - if Bhai Kineyaa Jee could see the light of Akaal Purukh in all, what happened to todays "Sikhs"?

Its obvious that the Sikh federation has been instrumental in yesterdays outcome, and a true reflection of their motto "never flinch from performing righteous deeds". This case will not only assist Sarika Singh, but also the hundred (if not thousands) of school children who are discriminated against because of their RIGHT to wear the Kara - I know immediately, schools in Leicestershire are revisiting their policies with regards to the Kara and PE lessons!

If Sarika Singh needs advice, help and guidance on Sikhi - I suggest she avoid this forum! Individual organisations (Young Sikhs UK, KAURAGEOUS etc) can welcome her with open arms - for Guroo Jee says: "charan saran gur EK penda jae chal, satgur kot penda agae hoe laith hae" - in my view, she has taken the first step - now Guroo Jee will do the rest!

Finally... five years ago, I was a monee who was supported by the Sikh Federation... today, with the blessings and guidance of Guroo Granth Saahib Jee and the assitance of many brothers and sisters who saw me as one of them, I walk the Guroo's Amrit laid path, for the third year... think of what the same love, appreciation and respect for Sarika Singh could do to change her destiny.

Well done Sarika and well done SF UK!

Good post!

Agree 100%

wow, i never knew some people could get this shallow...

i must say i'm really suprised Rupinder Singh...i've always looked to you as someone older than me that always provides a balanced and well thought out view point of things...chalo

I am sorry for altering your opinion about me. But my response was sarcastic in the sense that I felt the press release was nothing more than the Feds seeking a commendation for their own involvement.

We can clearly see from the media comments of the mainstream that people do not understand Sikhs and we clearly struggle in getting the message across. I am sure every single person on this forum has had prejudice towards them as they look different. Boys get picked on for wearing a turban and standing out. Girls get picked on for not removing the kes of their faces or arms. This always makes it hard for Sikh children to stand up for their faith and continue to be committed.

What I question is why, in the last 40 years of Sikhs growing up in the UK, has no representation been made for Sikh children undergoing bullying. I personally know others who have approached Gurdwaras and Sikh organizations (Sikh Feds via Smethwick Gurdwara) over a bullying issues with their own children in UK schools and as the cases were not high profile enough they were not given much attention by the Sikh organisations. What made this case different was the fact that it hit the papers very early on and therefore invited the likes of the Federation and other groups to intervene as there was some attention to be gained. That’s my gripe!