Lakhi Jungle Khalsa...

All that i know is that Lakhi Jungle is a jungle with one LAKH (100,000) trees, hence LAKHi Jungle. During the times of the Mughals, when Sikhs were persecuted, massacred and what not, many/most Sikhs hid in the Lakhi Jungle.

Another Sakhi I heard about is that Guru Nanak Dev ji recited one lakh paths of Japji Sahib in the Jungle, and therefore it became to be known as Lakhi Jungle.

But as i aint some Gyani, I can't tell you the meaning of Lakhi Jungle in that tukk or explain that tukk.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh !

I Love this shabad, it speaks of the Joy felt by the Khalsa, residing in the Lakhi Jungle, when they heard Guru Sahib , Sri Dashmesh Pita , had come to visit them in the Lakhi Jungle. It tells of their uncontrolled joy and love and yearning for a Darshan of Guru Sahib.

The Jungle no longer exists but a Gurdwara - Gurdwara Lakhisar, Mehma Sarja, Goniana, District Bathinda marks the event.

Here is the Beautiful Shabad with Punjabi translation (The Version of Sri Dasam Granth Sahib I have is the 8 Volume Steek by Giani Narain Singh Ji and this shabad is on page 693 volume 5, part of the Asfotak Kabit just before 'Sikhi rehat'.)

scan10128is7.jpg

*from Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji - Steek , Giani Narain Singh Ji, page 693, volume 5-- CSJS Nov 2002 edition

Here is an English Translation :

In the Lakhee Jungle,

the Khalsa heard of the coming of the Guru, and they longed to gain a sight of him.

Just as hearing the call of the herdsman,

the water buffalo leave their water and feeding.

In their joy, they all ran,

each trying to pass the others

to see their Beloved.

Their anxieties were dispelled

when they met their Herdsman, the Guru.

And so in deep gratitude, they gave thanks.

and another by Shanti Kaur Khalsa from Sikhnet

In the Lakkhee Jungle, the Khalsa heard of His coming and they longed to see Him. Just like when the water buffalo hear the call of the herdsman, they leave their food and water to rush to him. In their joy and excitement they ran to see their Beloved, each trying to pass the other to get there first. Their pain was gone when they met the Guru, their herdsman, and they gave thanks!

WAHEGURU ! So beautiful !!

GurFateh !

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'