Piracy!

Singh23

WJKK WJKF

Sangat Ji I just wanted to know how many people have used pirated software and have downloaded illegalcopies of movies or games ( I am not from Microsoft :) ). Don't actually name wht you pirated, there's always people watching. <_<

Also I wanted to get your thoughts on whether or not it is wrong...

WJKK WJKF

I use pirated material. Its illegal... its wrong... but i doubt i will stop. With the crazy costs of softwares now a days i can see why people turn to pirated material.

99% of the material on all computers in my household are pirated. From OS to softwares to content.

WJKK WJKF

Fateh Ji

Anything that you take that has not been earn't honestly is tokha and is a sin, there are plenty of alternatives for the main stream software products we use i.e. open office instead of microsoft office, avg antivirus instead of mcafee antivirus an so on....

We really have no excuse in using illegal copies of software, i can understand the arguement if you state you use the software solely for seva purposes i.e. creating sikhi posters and web sites as all belongs to the guru anyway but if it is used for our own lives, jobs, study then please think again as dharam raaj will have a record all all our accounts.

If you want a list of good free alternatives of main stream software please message me.

Gurfateh Ji

Wow, I can't believe "they have enough money" is an excuse to steal. I'm sure your guru would be proud...

Stealing is stealing... one of the three pillars of sikhi is working hard for what you have got, and certainly stealing isn't acceptable. The good thing is that now days with so much free software of pretty good quality, you don't need to steal to get software, most of the time you can get it legit for nothing or a nominal fee.

Wow, I can't believe "they have enough money" is an excuse to steal. I'm sure your guru would be proud...

Stealing is stealing... one of the three pillars of sikhi is working hard for what you have got, and certainly stealing isn't acceptable. The good thing is that now days with so much free software of pretty good quality, you don't need to steal to get software, most of the time you can get it legit for nothing or a nominal fee.

Are they not stealing ? I am sure MS have got back all they have invested in s/f like Office. So why continue to charge £££ hundreds for it ? I see nothing wrong with, I know of a few Gurdwara where the computer s/w is mainly unlicensed throughout networks.

Fateh Ji

Because they do it doesnt make it ok for us to do it, you dont have to use expensive software, and regarding films dont watch them in the first place you will be better off in the long term. You know what is right, just down to if you will follow your man or your guru

Gurfateh Ji

Are they not stealing ? I am sure MS have got back all they have invested in s/f like Office. So why continue to charge £££ hundreds for it ? I see nothing wrong with, I know of a few Gurdwara where the computer s/w is mainly unlicensed throughout networks.

Its obvious you've never been in buisness... nobody makes a product, whether it be a car, software, or a tabla, without the hope of making A PROFIT. Maybe to you its harder to see being software the costs involved in making it, but there are many millions of dollars invested into research and development, paying software engineers, architecters, lighting buildings, etc that need to be recouperated when they sell software. If you disagree with them charging for it, this is capitalism. Do what you are supposed to do: vote with your dollar! Don't purchase their product, but use that money to purchase one from somewhere else! In this case, if you don't like windows, get linux! If you hate office, use openoffice.org! Paint.NET and GIMP are excellent alternatives to Photoshop. Either way there are options rather than stealing.

And to answer your question, are they stealing? Its THEIR software. THEY made it with their own hands, what right do you have to take it and say "its mine"? Its no different than someone walking into your house, making a photocopy of the book you are writing and walking off with it. They took something that wasn't theirs. And you are doing the same.