WHAT DO YOU EAT!?!?!

What do you eat from the following choices?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What do you eat from the following choices?

• I am a strict vegetarian
    • I still eat Meat, but trying to quit
    • I eat Meat and i love it
    • I only eat EGGS and or FISH
    • I only eat GELATIN/RENNET (animal fat in food products)

Sat Sri Akal:

Well, Sikhs can't be vegan...they put butter (Desi Ghee) in Karah Parshad...so anyone thinking of going vegan, remember this.

Not that a cow has to be slaughtered to get the milk out of her...but yes, I do not like the treatment that the poor animals are given.

ms514,

Good point on the Vegan aspect and Karah Prashaad.

I'm a strict Lacto-Vegetarian, however am pretty much moving as far possible to the Vegan level, more for health than the aforementioned concerns (not that I support the treatment meated out to the cows, but like you say it's not going to entirely possible for Sikhs to totally avoid Diary).

My main reason for doing so is the ill-effects of diary products (mainly milk and cheese) in their mucus producing nature...particularly amongst Africans and Asians (why most Desi and Chinese Docs often advise to avoid milk products when one falls ill).

since you're involved in the medical field, perhaps you could offer some advice on this front?

Thanks.

The diary products are made out of milk and milk is called Amrit in Gurbani. Therefore, milk is a vegetarian diet. Read the following tuk:

pasoo mileh chang-aa-ee-aa kharh khaaveh amrit deh.

naam vihoonay aadmee Dharig jeevan karam karayhi. ||3||

Even beasts have value, as they eat grass and give Amrit (milk).

Without the Naam, the mortal`s life is cursed, as are the actions he performs. ||3||

I was usesd to eat meat. But now I don't for some reasons, cuz i wanna be on a safe side cuz some ppl sat its allowed in sikhi and some say it is not. if it is not allowed in sikhi, and i eat it, then i am comminting a sin. On the other side, whether it is allowed in sikhi or not, i am not committing a sin by not eating it. So I think i am better off by not eating it. But egg is in everything, such as cookies, donuts, subway breads, all in all, in every bakery item. I don't eat eggs, but I do eat these things that have eggs? What should I do?

The diary products are made out of milk and milk is called Amrit in Gurbani. Therefore, milk is a vegetarian diet. Read the following tuk:

pasoo mileh chang-aa-ee-aa kharh khaaveh amrit deh.

naam vihoonay aadmee Dharig jeevan karam karayhi. ||3||

Even beasts have value, as they eat grass and give Amrit (milk).

Without the Naam, the mortal`s life is cursed, as are the actions he performs. ||3||

i beleive milk is only amrit for hindus, and this tuk may have been addressed to them. We obviously have a different idea of what amrit is..

I was thinking about hte vegan aspect and sikhi etc.. sikhi is meant to be universal etc etc.. ive found eveyrthing in sikhi could even apply to aliens and whatever else, its so beautiful, but one thing ive been thinking about lately is degh!! what happens if all the cows go extinct? or like the earth gets destroyed and we are living in space somewhere with no cows ahaha, then no more degh? or do we create a new degh recipe? i mean we can make butter out of like soy, soy butter, but hte question is, is this ok?

because the power of degh is not in the flour, water, sugar or butter, its in the naam, bani and ardas right?