WHAT DO YOU EAT!?!?!

What do you eat from the following choices?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. What do you eat from the following choices?

• I am a strict vegetarian
    • I still eat Meat, but trying to quit
    • I eat Meat and i love it
    • I only eat EGGS and or FISH
    • I only eat GELATIN/RENNET (animal fat in food products)

Veerjeeo, I have been busy so I was not able to respond. Let me just say this, not eating meat is something that one feels from the inside. This is something that doesn't need to be proven by quotes from Gurbani or what this or that person says. If you start following Sikhi, these things automatically come to you. It can not be described. The inner voice you have inside which always warns you from doing bad will tell you. This is Waheguru speaking to you, all you have to do is listen, the rest Waheguru takes care of. Please don't make your decision because of me, I know less than you. We are all students here. A student never does anything because another student says to do something. He only does something if his teacher says to do it. Follow Guru Ji our teacher, not a student.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• 1 month later...
Guest G.Kaur

Sat sri akal,

I've been a veggie for almost 6 years now.. I don't eat fish but I do eat things with egg in it like cakes, bread, pasta etc.

Balwinder Singh said,

Now dont u think its "misinterpetation" of Hukam for proving thier own points?? Here it becomes clear that "Kutha is halal".Please answer.
If you read the next paragraph of the article, it explains this 'inconsistency.' I've copied and pasted the line that explains it.
(By the way, regarding eating meat, both Halaal and Haraam- the Muslim description of any meat other than Halaal - were also forbidden. It means that eating meat was totally prohibited.)

• 9 years later...

This issue has been discussed too many times already it's already been clarified by Akal Takht Hukamanama..It comes down to personal choice if you want live a practical sant/sipahi lifestyle and be "tyar bar tyar" This was almost impossible in the times of the Guru's, you cant start making dhal on the battlefields. You eat wahatever comes your way in order to survive even if you have to kill it and eat it.

Jhatka and it's traditions are way of the warrior..These threads are just made by certain jathebandi crusaders who like to stir trouble...These are the same clowns who tries to start a petition to bann Jhatka at Sachkand hazur sahib. Meat consumption is not intended for taste or for people to go to the supermarket, nandos, kfc etc... it has deep meanings in history and tradition, check out the nihangsingh website to learn more...See quotes below:

Final Ruling from Akal Takht

The Akal Takht represents the final authority on controversial issues concerning the Sikh Panth, in this regard the issue of meat eating has been settled. Hukamnama issued by Akal Takht Jathedar Sandhu Singh Bhaura dated February 15th 1980 that Amritdhari Sikhs can eat meat as long as it is jhatka meat and that eating meat does not go against the code of conduct, Kurehit, of the Sikhs. Thus a Sikh cannot be excommunicated for eating meat.

‘On one occasion Guru Sahib went to hunt prey. They showed the Rajput princes how to kill a lion and then ate the mahaparshad.’ (Sau Sakhi Steek, Part 1, page 197)

‘Drink the immortal nectar and upon joining the Khalsa fold go hunting. Continually seek to perfect your use of weapons. Perform Jhatka and eat goats. Do not even go near Halal meat.’ (Pracchin Panth Parkash Steek, Part 1, Page 110)

‘The Guru introduced this idea of Jhatka among his followers, which being incorporated later on by Guru Gobind Singh among the baptismal vows prescribed by him is still insisted on by Sikhs as a mark of their liberty. It stands for freedom of food, which was maintained as long as Sikhs were politically free. But with the coming of the British it was suspended for us, and we are still waiting for the day when we should be again free in the matter of food.’ (Sikhs as Liberators, page 5)

‘The traditions of Kshatri Dharam, the ideals of Jhatka and the custom of anointing weapons with blood have been kept alive until now by the Nihang Singh battalions. Until today this tradition still exists at all Sikh Takhts, should for any reason this be stopped it would be great manmat (egocentric action of men which is against the teachings of the Gurus)’ (Jhatka Parkash, Page 228)

Sikhism, A Complete Introduction, Dr. H.S.Singha & Satwant Kaur, Hemkunt Press
We must give the rationale behind prescribing jhatka meat as the approved food for the Sikhs. According to the ancient Aryan Hindu tradition, only such meat as is obtained from an animal which is killed with one stroke of the weapon causing instantaneous death is fit for human consumption. However, with the coming of Islam into India and the Muslim political hegemony, it became a state policy not to permit slaughter of animals for food, in any other manner, except as laid down in the Quran - the kosher meat prepared by slowly severing the main blood artery of the throat of the animal while reciting verses from the Quran. It is done to make slaughter a sacrifice to God and to expiate the sins of the slaughter. Guru Gobind Singh took a rather serious view of this aspect of the whole matter. He, therefore, while permitting flesh to be taken as food repudiated the whole theory of this expiatory sacrifice and the right of ruling Muslims to impose iton the non-Muslims. Accordingly, he made jhatka meat obligatory for those Sikhs who may be interested in taking meat as a part of their food.

Sikhs and Sikhism, Dr. I.J.Singh, Manohar Publishers.
And one semitic practice clearly rejected in the Sikh code of conduct is eating flesh of an animal cooked in ritualistic manner; this would mean kosher and halal meat. The reason again does not lie in religious tenet but in the view that killing an animal with a prayer is not going to enoble the flesh. No ritual, whoever conducts it, is going to do any good either to the animal or to the diner. Let man do

I can't stand the smell of dead carcasses as I walk around the supermarket. I try to hold my breath for as long as possible. Otherwise I will vomit. I don't know how people stand the smell. That alone should be enough to put anyone off.

Same!

I always see those sad lobsters and think to myself if I should buy one and send it free in a river or something lol.

We do have canine teeths so tht make us omnivors if we want to be! Doesnt it? Humans are either herbivors or omnivors! God gave us a choice.. Well thts wat i believe! Ima meat eater too!

Veerji our canines are not carnivorous canines - they are to bite into hard furits like apples .... if they were like a dog or cheetah, try jumping on the backside of a cow and rip pingher hood with your 'canines' ....(make a youtube video for the sangat if you can ) ....

It is heart warming and inspiring to see so many on this forum caring about the welfare of animals and avoiding meat.

Meat if only form of cruelty bhaji .... there is the whole dairy thing which also causes tremenedous suffering - In north america and europe dairy cows are never given a break , they are milked even when pregnant , they are given hormones to increase output (like oxytocin), they are kept in very small spaces , the male calves are separated from mother at birth for produciton of veal ...finally when they are spent which is only about 5 years of life they are sent to the butcher

• 7 months later...

I gave up meat after watching Daljeet's presentation, but i eat stuff with egg in it, i.e. bakery stuff. Will give up that as well with time. :@ @

veer ji

how's about learning to make eggless cakes and stuff ...recipes batherey hage net utthe...bahut hi sauki gal aa... you'd be skipping out on all those trans fats and other nasty preservatives