How Do You Bhog La Prashad And Langar?

Amrit

• 4 weeks later...

Starting off with the basics, the Gursikh doing bhog Must be full ishnaani and must be Amritdhari. Sucham is too be kept at all times and Kirpaan must be cleaned and dried before doing bhog.

Full Anand Sahib must be recited before doing bhog to parshaad (not sure about langar). Karra Prashaad MUST be prepared by amritdhari gursikh. When doing ardaas we must ask for maharaj to bless the food prepared and ask for Aagiyaa to do bhog on behalf of maharaj so it can be distributed to sangat. Whoever has even a small morsel of this food, may they jap Waheguroo.

This pangtee from maharaj is to be recited...

Aink pRkwr Bojn bhu kIey bhu ibMjn imstwey ]

anik prakaar bhojan bahu keeeae bahu bi(n)jan misattaaeae ||

I have prepared all sorts of foods in various ways, and all sorts of sweet deserts.

krI pwkswl soc pivqRw huix lwvhu Bogu hir rwey ]2]

karee paakasaal soch pavithraa hun laavahu bhog har raaeae ||2||

I have made my kitchen pure and sacred. Now, O my Sovereign Lord King, please sample my food. ||2||

The Gursikh must then do Bhog to the Langar and Karra with the Kirpaan. After the Ardaas (and usually Hukamnama also), the Gursikh must first Distribute Karra Prashaad to 5 Singhs (must be amritdhari). If 5 Singhs are not Haajar then 5 Guffai (handfuls) of parshaad must be put into a seperate bhatta.

When doing this, the gursikh is too say Dhan Baba Daya Singh Jee, Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Jee Kee Phatehi. Dhan Baba Dharam Singh Jee Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguroo Jee Kee Phatehi...... and so on until all 5 Guffai are in the Bhatta after reciting the Panj Piaare's Names.

This then goes back into the Main Bhatta of Karra Prashaad and another handful is taken out and placed into a bhatta for The Granthi Singh. This is usually placed near Maharaj's Thakht if granthi singh is doing chaur sahib or other seva.

The bata of degh that is placed near Guroo Saahibs takhat is solely for the Granthi Singh. Guroo Saahib has already accepted and has taken the degh when Bhog was done. Many people assume that this bata is for Guroo Saahib but this is incorrect.

The Karra Prashaad Dee Deg can now be distributed to rest of sangat.

After Langar has had Bhog done, it must be returned to the kitchen and placed back into the rest of the sabjeeya, dhaala etc before being distributed.

2608244744_4db5d9912c_o.jpg

beautiful explanation above...

just want to add that we do bhog of prashad and langar AFTER hukanmana is read as a sign that we are accepting the gift of hukamnama of Waheguru ji.

True. although karra prashaad di deg can be made and done bhog on when Guru Granth Sahib Jee is not parkaash. for example, keertan at somebodys home etc.

beautiful explanation above...

just want to add that we do bhog of prashad and langar AFTER hukanmana is read as a sign that we are accepting the gift of hukamnama of Waheguru ji.

True. although karra prashaad di deg can be made and done bhog on when Guru Granth Sahib Jee is not parkaash. for example, keertan at somebodys home etc.

cool, i did not know that. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Bhul chuk maaf .. but the above explanation is not related to langar. The lines written are describing kitchen of our mind and not actual food.

1. If we say that we present langar to Guru Granth sahib ji then we are treating them as a body and that way we should take care of other things too like giving them a bath etc.

2. If we say we put some langar to make it more pure by putting near guru granth sahib ji or doing Ardas in front of Guru granth sahib ji ... then pardon me that means that there is no need to read what is written in Guru granth sahib just by putting some thing in front and doing ardas will do the magic.

Cant understand why people go towards the same things from which our gurus told us not to go. Having pictures made by painter Shoba singh , bhog and i will not be surprised if tommorw some body will put a Idol of our gurus in gurdwara's and then we we are back to from where we started ..

Let me know ur views .

right on.

gurbaani says that the hindus give the idols food which is then eaten by the pundit. i thought of this shabad when i read that some parshad is for guru granth sahib and it usually eaten by the ragi singh...

the real "parshad" is the hukam from guru granth sahib.

Aasaa, Kabeer Jee, 9 Panch-Padas, 5 Du-Tukas:

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

You tear off the leaves, O gardener, but in each and every leaf, there is life.

That stone idol, for which you tear off those leaves - that stone idol is lifeless. ||1||

In this, you are mistaken, O gardener.

The True Guru is the Living Lord. ||1||Pause||

Brahma is in the leaves, Vishnu is in the branches, and Shiva is in the flowers.

When you break these three gods, whose service are you performing? ||2||

The sculptor carves the stone and fashions it into an idol, placing his feet upon its chest.

If this stone god was true, it would devour the sculptor for this! ||3||

Rice and beans, candies, cakes and cookies

- the priest enjoys these, while he puts ashes into the mouth of the idol. ||4||

The gardener is mistaken, and the world is mistaken, but I am not mistaken.

Says Kabeer, the Lord preserves me; the Lord, my King, has showered His Blessings upon me. ||5||1||14||

if we believe in blessed food, what is wrong with Muslims eating halal which they too say is blessed? what is wrong with the ganga if we too believe in sacred sarovars?

are all sikh rituals right but the exact counterparts in hinduism and islam are wrong?

anyways good points rajwinder. that's the danger of taking gurbaani literally. gurbaani is full of metaphors but many interpret literally.

just like how the shabad, gurbaani is the real sarovar as mentioend in gurbaani, but people take it to mean the literal sarovars at gurdwaras...then you have people who take home a glass of sarovar water and sprinkle it in their houses to "purify" them....

anyways....sikhi is becoming like every other faith, full of dogma and blind rituals, all in the name of sharda. even hindus have sharda that bathe in the ganga and muslims have sharda who go to mecca for piligrimage. what makes sikhs' sharda greater?

peace.

• 2 weeks later...
another handful is taken out and placed into a bhatta for Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaj. This is too be placed at Maharaj's Thakht (this prashaad is usually given to the granthi singh at the end on behalf of Maharaj and the seva they have done).

wjkkwjkp!

This is not correct. The bata of degh that is placed near Guroo Saahibs takhat is solely for the Granthi Singh. Guroo Saahib has already accepted and has taken the degh when Bhog was done. Many people assume that this bata is for Guroo Saahib but this is incorrect.

Also, a few people have claimed that by doing Bhog we are personifying Guroo Saahib and that the Hukam is the true Parshad. This again is incorrect.

Firstly, there is nothing wrong in personifying Guroo Saahib, as they are "Pargat Guraa Kee Deh". I could quite easily turn the argument around and say by not personifying Guroo Saahib then you are making them out to be a mere object! (I dont wish to go down that avenue, but I could do).

Bhog is a custom which has always been done and will always be done. Those who think that this is Bahman vaadh are misguided individuals. There are many stories that involve Guroo Saahib and Degh, and it is only obvious that we offer Degh to Guroo Saahib before we distribute to the sangat.

Whether you see it as 'Parvaan' (Accepted/Blessed) or whether you see it as 'Bhog' (Sampled) is up to you and your own personal choice. But to see it as neither and as a mere ritual is outrageous and to some would be considered blasphemous!

M_K_L_Q said that the true Parshad is the Hukam. This is incorrect. The Hukam is a Command which we MUST follow and obey. Parshad is a blessing which we take away with us. It is there to represent that we are never to leave Guroo Saahibs Darbaar empty handed, even if we do not take away the Gyan straight away we will always have the Degh which will help us on our way.

2. If we say we put some langar to make it more pure by putting near guru granth sahib ji or doing Ardas in front of Guru granth sahib ji ... then pardon me that means that there is no need to read what is written in Guru granth sahib just by putting some thing in front and doing ardas will do the magic.

Rajwinder, it seems you have no faith in your Guroo.

Look at Guroo Harkrisan Saahib Jee, who simply touched people and cured them from Leprosy. If you are a Gursikh then you will agree that the Jot of Guroo Harkrisan Saahib Jee is present in Sri Guroo Granth Saahib Jee... which voids your statement completely. You have however missed the point completely in that Degh and Langar are not just placed their and Ardaas done and that it is. They are offered to Akaal Purakh through Satguroo Saahib Jee.

There are many instances in which this can be seen, look at the Gurdwara Saahib is Kaabul, where Guroo Saahibs Handprint is visible in the Degh if it is made correctly. Also for the skeptics among us read the amazing Biography of Sant Baba Harnam Singh ji Khalsa Rampur Khere wale and you shall see their experience of Guroo Saahib and degh >Se Kinehya PDF go to page 414.

I didn't want this post to be so long but felt that certain things needed to be addressed. I could go on about other aspects which were also incorrect but I didnt want to be too negative seen as CaptainQ had written such a great response to the original post.

Dont get caught up in hiding from "rituals" because this in itself will turn out to be a ritual!

wjkkwjkp!

i don't think gurbaani is a set of "commands"..hukam is the Will or raza of akaal purakh that we live in. gravity is hukam. you can't "follow" gravity...because commands can be followed or ignored, can we choose to ignore gravity?

parshaad means blessing. what's a greater blessing than the shabad?

doesn't gubaani say that the fortunate ones meet the guru and hear the true shabad...

yes, guru sahib is pargat, in guru roop khalsa, guru panth khalsa ji.

peace.