So You Thought No One Else Knows Punjabi?

Mehtab Singh

A very good friend of mine, a Pakistani, told me an incident that happened with a friend of his, a Pakistani Punjabi. This dude worked at Sharjah Airport (a few miles from Dubai). Once some British passenger (a gora) came up to him and was upset as he wasn't offered some specific service he had requested and paid for. The Pakistani Punjabi dude got ticked off, and although he kept smiling, he murmured abusive words in Punjabi as he sorted out the issue for the British gentleman. Once everything was done, the gora said "thank you bhaaji, hunn tussi inj karo, apne manager nu bula lao".

So next time you cuss someone in Punjabi at someone you can't even dream about knowing Punjabi, think again!

awww that guy shudn't have sworn....I've met some white people who know Punjabi, one of Dad's friends is white but he worked in the army and therefore lived in India for some time where he picked up the language.

Anyways this reminds me of another story which happened to me. I was going to India, Amritsar on that well known turk/uzbec plane.

Anyways we had a stop in Arabia but it was an old style airport where you step down the stairs to go out from the plane. Normally all planes i have travelled on open into the airport on a ramp so that there is no need for stairs.

So basically I got excited about the stairs and I started taking lots of posing pics on them. I actually waited for all the passengers to leave and took another pic by the cockpit...

So whilst I was doing this one of the airport men came to me and started saying things in farsi.. I was like wat...he said the same things again in farsi - it was really bad cos he didn't know English and then I was surrounded by loadsa other airport workers who were all talking to me in farsi.

I had no clue what they were saying. Not a single person knew English and they kept getting angry becasue they thought I was pretending to not know what they were saying. Apparently they thought I was persian and they were really shocked when I told them I was Indian. But in the end I worked out they were telling me that pics around the airport were not allowed. lol.

(While we're sharing stories)

I worked for a while in a doctor's surgery in an area where most of the patients and staff were Asian (Pakistani/Indian). There was one gori bibi named Alison who was a receptionist at the practice and had worked there for many years. One extremely grumpy Pakistani patient came in one day but she had to spend about 5 minutes working on his request and clearly he thought this was too slow. He began muttering bad things under his breath and complaining to his wife, referring to Alison as 'Moti' (she wasn't exactly the skinniest of women). So it was really funny when Alison stood up and proceeded to shout at him in very fluent Punjabi in front of all the other patients in the waiting room, much to everyone's astonishment. She gave him a very thorough telling-off :lol: .

omg we used to have a moti Alison at our drs surgery too. She actually spoke punjabi and left our surgery about 10 years ago. What if its the same one!?! But good on her tho. :)

This reminds me of something else. My cousin is 100% Punjabi but God made him naturally blonde haired and white skinned so he looks completely like a white person.

Now when he goes gurdwara he hates how some punjabi people stare and start referring to him as 'a gora singh' and then to make it worse they chat about him in punjabi whlist he is standing there.

Its really rude because he knows punjabi and there you have people saying things about him to his face and then they treat him differently etc. We've made it into a fun game now and its cool to shock people and catch them out but still its saddening how people are quick to stereotype and judge.

There's a guy on a stool at my local market who turned around and said 'waheguruji ka khalsa wahegurujiki fateh' to me when I went to buy a shawl. Then he starts talking in half hindi and half punjabi...he said he used to work in Haryana in the market place and loved it...he misses speakin in 'hinjabi' so he stands there singin songs to himself all day hahaha

There's a guy on a stool at my local market who turned around and said 'waheguruji ka khalsa wahegurujiki fateh' to me when I went to buy a shawl. Then he starts talking in half hindi and half punjabi...he said he used to work in Haryana in the market place and loved it...he misses speakin in 'hinjabi' so he stands there singin songs to himself all day hahaha

wjkk wjkf

I worked for a bank at one time and they had a stand at the Mega Mela at the NEC (this is going way back now) and as i was Sikh, was asked to attend the baknks stand. I was attending with a gori who worked at one of the banks baranches in a very asian area so knew punjabi quite well. Anyway, the gori and I were walking in the Mela to the shop to get some food and a couple of indian girls were walking past us and one of them rudley bumped into the gori while her mate was muttering, "Kidha gori naal firda" and gave me a pretty dirty look, which i thought was quite funny (I love it when people judge on appearances, its so silly), but my friend the gori heard and turned around to them and said "thuhanoo ki aa, sapp larrda" (or something along those lines, was a while ago and cant remember the exact words now), and you should have seen the look on the indian girls faces, it was sooooo funny.

Moral of the story, dont judge on apperances..!

wjkk wjkf

During a lecture at Uni this Muslim bibi in hijab came up to me and said "kidhaaa" lol and we randomly started to speak punjabi.. she said she missed speaking punjabi since moving to uni.. so everytime we meet we forget our english and just stick to punjabi lol

..actually this is the case for most muslim girls i know on my course..!