Kara

Jassika

i thought kareh wer supposd 2 b simple hence it being known as a steel bangle not bracelet

also, as we r on da topic of this which wrist r u supposd 2 wear it on, is it accordin 2 a certain meanin or dependin on whether u r a leftie or a rytie? :p

kara must be made of IRON not steel peyareyo and if ny bdy got a doubt why iron only why cant we wear kara of steel the only answer is that guruji himself wears kara of pure iron there is the story behind it

http://www.sikhmatrimonials.com/sikhnet/di...33;OpenDocument

if you can go for steel then gold and other expensive elemets are there too we can wear kara of those too as many of our singhs and singhnis are doing the same..... well certainly guruji himself dont believe in all these superstitious things but later this became a part of 5 k's coz it works as a self defense and a unique ornament for sikhs

Kara came in use from the time of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. There is a very interesting story related to the wearing of Kara. Once a Brahman came to Guru Gobind Singh Ji and expressed his concern for the Guru, the Sikhs and the grim fate of the Sikh religion, in view of the martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev Ji and Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji along with three Sikhs (Bhai Dayal Dass Ji, Bhai Mati Dass Ji and Bhai Satti Dass Ji). The Brahman further suggested that if the Guru donated some mustard oil and pure iron to Saturn (Shani), then Saturn may be pleased and good times may return for the Sikhs. The Guru apprised him of the rich and scientific Sikh philosophy that has no faith in superstitions, but on the insistence of the Brahman, finally agreed to offer mustard oil and pure iron. The Brahman was happy that the Guru had been finally convinced. On the way out, the Brahman met some Sikhs and on being questioned, told them everything. The Sikhs immediately realized that the Guru in his wisdom, has set a test for them. So they took all the offerings from the Brahman and told him to come to the presence of the Guru the next day. Next day, when the Sangat had assembled, the all-knowing Guru asked a group of Sikhs on the appeal of the Brahmin, if they had to share anything with the Sangat. The Sikhs told the Guru that they had realized the test was being conducted by the Guru to examine the faith of the Sikhs in the Sikh philosophy, being taught to them since the last two centuries. Therefore, they took the offerings from the Brahman, used the oil in the Guru-ka-Langar, and made Kara (iron bracelet) of the pure iron, which they were wearing then. The Sikhs, according to the Sikh philosophy, have no faith in superstitions, planetary influences, holy or unholy days and in directions (East, West, North or South). The Guru expressed his happiness and blessed all the Sikhs with kara - in rejoicing for conquering the fear of superstitions. The kara, generally worn in the right hand, reminds the Sikh that his or her actions have to be fearless symbolizing Amrit. This is the symbol of Guru on the hand of action and therefore all actions are to be pure. The purity and strength of pure iron has to be reflected in every action of the Sikh. The free availability of iron makes it easy to afford and therefore everyone can wear it. It symbolizes the Sikh brotherhood.

Wow amazing!

amazing sakhi but im curious to know whether the kara was around before that time? also was that before or after the first amrit sanskar?

wjkk wjkf

u made me curious too but i guess there was no such thing before dashmesh pita made a kara of the pure iron given by brahman lady. Gurujis certainly have made it compulsary coz it was and is a good self defense tool as well as gives a unique identity to a person .......well certainly few ppls say that bhoot prait(goosts) dont come near you if you are wearing a pure iron kara.........this sounds funny coz i think in this world where humans are not getting space to live where these gosts are gonna live..well thats a bad joke......

all these are superstitious things which a sikh must not follow.

well if nybdy find nything wrong in above lines then pls let me know coz these are my personal thoughts

:D