Finding Money At Work ( Not Stealing ).

Singh23

WJKK WJKF

Sangat Ji, I just entered the working world recently at a super market and one of my duties is to collect shopping carts from outside of the store and to bring them inside. The the thing is I frequently find money left in the carts ($1) and normally I use it to buy a pop or something at break. I asked some of the other workers and they do it to. I was just wondering though is it wrong to use this money or not? I would like to your opinions. Thx.

WJKK WJKF

You should check what the store's policy is on money found by their employees. Some employers would class an employee keeping money they found whilst at work to be theft. The law is England is that if you find any money then you can hand it into the police station. The police will then keep it for a month in case the person who lost the money comes into the station to report their loss. If they can convince the police that they money handed in is their then they can have it. The police will inform you that it has been claimed. If however no one comes forward within a month, you can go to the police station and they will hand the money back to you. After that legally and morally you can do what you want with the money.

Excellent replies above.

If you check with store management, there is a good chance they will tell you that it is store property. They may have an argument. You are trying to sort this out sincerely and that is commendable.

However, be careful as employers can later use this against you to avoid their own obligations. For example in many jurisdictions an employer provides a notice period or pay in lieu of notice if your employment is terminated. They may avoid those obligations to you by suggesting your actions are “cause” for notice. This often happens as you advance in your employment.

Today you are collecting carts, you may some day return to be a regional manager in the industry. This could become an obstacle for you to get there or even surface much later. Things like this can take on a life of their own.

I would suggest that you go to the store, and since it is lost money (the store only has it by mistake) ask for permission to start a policy whereby the money is collected and spent on food in the store which is then donated to a food bank or charity as suggested in replies above.

WJKK WJKF

Sangat Ji, I just entered the working world recently at a super market and one of my duties is to collect shopping carts from outside of the store and to bring them inside. The the thing is I frequently find money left in the carts ($1) and normally I use it to buy a pop or something at break. I asked some of the other workers and they do it to. I was just wondering though is it wrong to use this money or not? I would like to your opinions. Thx.

WJKK WJKF

A store will only confiscate this money (which is not theirs either) and add it to their funds.. I agree with Pheena, save it up and use it towards a good cause.

What if it was a $20 or $100 deposit that was forgotten? Would our views change on what we should do with it? Experiments have shown that views would change.... but should the same logic not apply for $1?

Any sociologists/psychologists out there have reference to experiments about what i refer to here?

Also if you are close to being implicated in pocketing CURRENCY/CASH in small amounts (even passing it on to charity)... you will find far less leniency than if you were dealing with goods or services of greater value. It is not logical, but it's a fact. If you're going to be a rebel, make it more worthwhile.

Speak to some charity or the food bank ahead of time. Then email the store management with your proposal while ccing the charity and media. Be prepared to lose your job, aka promotion. That is worth it.

WJKK WJKF

Thx guys for the advice...... There's actually a few boxes where you can drop off donations throughout the store, so I'm thinking I could just drop it off there. But I'll ask my supervisor first. Maybe next time I find a looney I'll ask him what to do with it.... thx :)

WJKK WJKF

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

As a person one is free to do what one likes with the money .

But being a Gursikh one must set standards.

i.e hand over the money to your superior so that he can follow the company policy in regards to such incidents.

Moreso by handing over the lost & found you gain goodwill, trust and confidence of your superior and colleagues. The act implies that you are a sincere person and honest worker.

Gursikhs must remember and check their actions as we are the representatives of Sikhism. What we do has a direct impact on the reputation of Sikhs all over the world.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh