Is It Gurmat To Wear A Black Dummala

akal sahai

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Penji I could say the same thing, dont spread SGPC maryada by saying red and green is parvaan :)

There aint one Panthic samprada/jatha which says green/red dastaar is parvaan but chalo if u like to wear red/green dastaar than thats your choice.

Ill stick with blue :D

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

i don't know what "SGPC" maryada is, but the panthic rehat maryada doesn't say anything about certain colours being better or worse than others. and i'm certain that gurbani doesn't either.

i'm not spreading anything anti-panthic, i am sharing what i have learned as a Sikh who is not affiliated with any jatha or samparda. as a panth, we are (supposed to be) united under Akal Takht as our temporal authority. at least that's what Guru Hargobind Sahib seemed to have in mind when he created it. saying that things outside of Akal Takht's maryada are standards for the whole panth is misleading. and discounting Akal Takht's maryada as somehow less valid or less important than that of your particular sect is just wrong.

but please feel free to post links to "all of the samparda/jatha" maryadas and their relevant sections, so that we may all learn more about each other.

btw, the only reason i'm not wearing a red dastaar today is because i don't have one (yet). :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

panthic rehit maryada is published by SGPC

you are correct. but it is signed by Akal Takht. SGPC is a gurdwara management committee who have no authority outside of punjab. they didn't write the SRM, nor do they change or update it. so calling it SGPC maryada is misleading and incorrect.

everyone knows about the corruption inside SGPC, by calling the SRM the SGPC maryada, people are insinuating that SRM is also corrupt, which is insulting to the panth.

nihang singhs generally speakin do not wear black dastaar or baaneh, their coulour of preference is blue...wjkkwjkf bhenjee its surprsin to mee to see nihangs in black, that is a first in my eyes... never seen it before...

proper nihang singhs are warriors.. totally imbued in the love for akaal purakh, tyar par tyar always ready, wich is represented by the rang blue...

black a colour, unsettledness...morcha.. when people are dieing/suffering..agnoy.. its more of an upsettin colour if u get me?... as the singh jee said baba nihal singh jee talks about it in his kathaaa...

mayb wjkkwjkf bhenj wen u go harianvela nxt you can ask the singhs there.. and also tell em that his moorak said hi!! lol i wanna goo harianvelaaaaaaaaa vaheguroo kirpa karehh!!!

as sum1 said.. blue keskee/bonga is a must for a dhamalaa..

gagan mandel vich boongaa hamaraa...akaaalooo!!!!

Nihang Singhs dont wear black dumaala or baana. Its maryada for them to only tie blue bunga and blue keski, then they can tie either blue, white or orange as dumaala.

Since Nihang Singhs wore dumaala first i think its right to respect the maryada instead of coming out with comments which are not worth posting.

Vaheguru Ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

vaheguroo..satbachan jee!!!

mY gur imil auc dumwlVw ]

mai gur mil ouch dhumaalurraa

I met with the Guru, and I have tied a tall, plumed turban.

akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaloooooooo!!

I did ask them why only blue, white or orange (traditionally blue) - the answer was that Black also symbolises Kalyug...it's the colour of evil, dirt (and as you said pahji, dying and agony etc.) Wearing white symbolises you trying to stay detached from kalyug and maya, living a simple life, and keeping away from 5 chorr. Blue is a VERY old tradition, it's the colour of shaheedi and qurbani, warrior-lifestyle and the power which Guru Gobind Singh Ji took away from the Moghuls (Muslims peers and the rich usually wore blue) which is why Nihangs always have a blue Nishan Sahib, instead of the more common orange. Orange is also the INDIAN traditional colour for shaheedi and now more commonly the Khalsa.

Nihangs were encouranged to wear these colours as they are members of Dals - they are collectively an army... "the ladlian faujan". And like all armies they require a uniform.

Next year (or hopefully THIS year ;) ) I will ask the bhai sahib why he was wearing black. It may just be because of personal preference - or because it may have been a donation)...people often gift Nihangs with clothes and food...or because he was unaware of Baba Nihal Singh Ji's katha (which is unlikely lol.)

The point is - colours will NOT effect your avastaa, closeness to Guru Ji w.e - BUT they are symbolic and can mean different things to different people.

Personally I avoid black because it dont suite me :p and I think it's a boring colour - but I HAD to wear a black dastaar in High school because it was uniform. Simple

They can represent the different elements:

Black - Wind - Pavan ie: Giaan

Blue - Sky ie: like the sky covers everything whether a begger or a king, a sikh should treat everyone the same regardless of social status

Orange - Earth ie: like the earth is able to withstand the burden of everyhting on it, a sikh should be able to sacrifice

White - Water ie: Calmness

Red = Fire ie: destroy everything

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Penji I could say the same thing, dont spread SGPC maryada by saying red and green is parvaan :)

There aint one Panthic samprada/jatha which says green/red dastaar is parvaan but chalo if u like to wear red/green dastaar than thats your choice.

Ill stick with blue :D

i don't know what "SGPC" maryada is, but the panthic rehat maryada doesn't say anything about certain colours being better or worse than others. and i'm certain that gurbani doesn't either.

i'm not spreading anything anti-panthic, i am sharing what i have learned as a Sikh who is not affiliated with any jatha or samparda. as a panth, we are (supposed to be) united under Akal Takht as our temporal authority. at least that's what Guru Hargobind Sahib seemed to have in mind when he created it. saying that things outside of Akal Takht's maryada are standards for the whole panth is misleading. and discounting Akal Takht's maryada as somehow less valid or less important than that of your particular sect is just wrong.

but please feel free to post links to "all of the samparda/jatha" maryadas and their relevant sections, so that we may all learn more about each other.

btw, the only reason i'm not wearing a red dastaar today is because i don't have one (yet). :)

Like one of the Singhs said "panthic maryada" is set by SGPC who are politicians and they have control of what goes on under Akaal Takht Sahib. Until Akaal Takht Sahib is back under control of Mahapurakhs i doubt anyone will pay attention to "panthic maryada"..

Its a sad state of affairs but thats politics for ya penj..

Like one of the Singhs said "panthic maryada" is set by SGPC who are politicians and they have control of what goes on under Akaal Takht Sahib. Until Akaal Takht Sahib is back under control of Mahapurakhs i doubt anyone will pay attention to "panthic maryada"..

Its a sad state of affairs but thats politics for ya penj..

i'm going to assume you live in the UK or some other place where every sect/samparda/jatha are all segregated (it's almost like a caste system!), so the only people you know are people who are just like you. :)

in india, the panthic rehet maryada is the most common and the vast majority of sikhs follow it.

btw, it's not "set" by sgpc, it's published by them, they did not write it and they can not alter it.

but i know, your sant/baba told you something and that's what you'll believe. :) it's ok, it's just all you've been exposed to.

i always thought black was Agiaanta

antigian

w.e

then why do all the raagis wear black? :gg:

^it was used in the 80s during the morche not to represent freedom but protest and agiaantaa

that the governemnt were keeping them in the dark, etc

veerjeeoo, I don't think that's true in its entirety because bhaee saaheb bhaee randheer singh jee also wore black dastaar, although I remember that did happen in several of the morche we all derive different ideas from different things in sikhee doesn't mean we're right or wrong its just how we look at it...........

it started in the 1920s after the british raj murdered those pilgrams at Nankana Sahib. since then it has been used in several protests, including jallianwala bagh, amritsar massacre, and throughout the '80s.