Just Plain Sikh

jasleen k

Veeray a good number of monnay have 1 million times more pyar and shardha for Gurujee than an outward looking so-called Amritdhari Singh like me. Why they are monnay only Gurujee knows. Maybe its their karam or bhaag, or maybe Maharaj wants us to learn not to judge a book by its cover. I have seen so many examples, be it Punjabi monnay from Sikh families, be it Punjabi Hindus, or even non-Punjabi Hindus from other Indian states. Their innocent and spotless love makes me feel ashamed of myself.

So true. I myself was a monaa before getting amrit chakk 2 years ago and most of my friends were jattan de kaake. I trust them much more than some of the jathaa "lions" who cheated me, took lots of my money, spread rumours about me, tried to fix me with one of their "charrdi kala" bibi,lol, haha.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every one of us belongs to some type of jatha or group, even the "vast majority" that follow Sikh Rehit Maryada. I think we all know the history of how the whole panth did not come to a consensus on one single Rehit Maryada. In fact, most puratan groups (sampardas) do not follow SGPC approved SRM because it doesn't address all of their traditional values. That said, most of the Gurmukhs and Sants from these sampardas/jathas never advocate belittling the SRM.

sure, there were some disagreements. sure, we all know master tara singh ji was a great meat eater and bhai randhir singh ji was in jail, and that's why some people think SRM advocates non-veg. there are probably a hundred little stories like that.

but in the end... the BASICS are all the same. here's how i look at it. SRM is the BASIC maryada we must follow. anything above and beyond that is wonderful. for example, SRM only requires 3 banis in the morning. everyone knows we should do 5. so do 5! that doesn't mean SRM is wrong, that means you're doing extra.

if i'm not wrong, this is the stand that AKJ advocates. they don't have a seperate jatha rehat maryada, they follow SRM + keski rehet + dietary rehet + panj bania rehet, etc, etc.

i hope this is making sense.

My only problem is when people start passing off the SRM as the "Panth-parvaan" and sideline all others as being fringe or sect maryadas. What exactly is left of the panth when most, if not all, of its traditional schools of thought don't accept it in its entirety. Doesn't matter how many professor or scholars support it as being the correct, most of the panth's sampardas don't accept it fully and deem it incomplete.

and my problem is that people who follow sect maryadas automatically assume that we who follow SRM are also incomplete, that they don't accept us, their fellow Khalsa, fully.

do you see where i'm going with this?

As far as bringing in Sri Akaal Takht sahib, we need to realize the issue isn't simple as it appears. Whatever group controls the office of Akaal Takht sahib, they are able to impose their views. Currently it's the SGPC. Why not give control of Takht sahib back to the Akali-Nihangs? Will everyone agree to the Nihang-singh maryada if that happens?

no, they will not. just like today, everyone will agree to the maryada they were ordered to follow by the panj piyare at the time of amrit sanchar!

and since i'm a woman who was blessed with khande de pahul, i'm obviously not going to be following nihung rehet. :)

End of the day, everyone is going to follow whatever view feels most correct. It could be Nihang, Taksali, Nirmal, or Missionary maryada.

wrong. everyone is going to follow what they were told to follow by panj piyare.

and what the heck is missionary maryada? :gg:

What we can do is make a resolution adopting some basic points:

- Not belittling another gursikhs chosen maryada

- Not flaunting own chosen maryada as being superior

- Accepting that the panth has diverse views about the Rehit Maryada

once again i need to point out that it's not choice, it's given to us by Guru ji in the form of panj piayre.

i hope i said that enough times. :)

Every one of us belongs to some type of jatha or group, even the "vast majority" that follow Sikh Rehit Maryada. I think we all know the history of how the whole panth did not come to a consensus on one single Rehit Maryada. In fact, most puratan groups (sampardas) do not follow SGPC approved SRM because it doesn't address all of their traditional values. That said, most of the Gurmukhs and Sants from these sampardas/jathas never advocate belittling the SRM.

sure, there were some disagreements. sure, we all know master tara singh ji was a great meat eater and bhai randhir singh ji was in jail, and that's why some people think SRM advocates non-veg. there are probably a hundred little stories like that.

but in the end... the BASICS are all the same. here's how i look at it. SRM is the BASIC maryada we must follow. anything above and beyond that is wonderful. for example, SRM only requires 3 banis in the morning. everyone knows we should do 5. so do 5! that doesn't mean SRM is wrong, that means you're doing extra.

if i'm not wrong, this is the stand that AKJ advocates. they don't have a seperate jatha rehat maryada, they follow SRM + keski rehet + dietary rehet + panj bania rehet, etc, etc.

i hope this is making sense.

My only problem is when people start passing off the SRM as the "Panth-parvaan" and sideline all others as being fringe or sect maryadas. What exactly is left of the panth when most, if not all, of its traditional schools of thought don't accept it in its entirety. Doesn't matter how many professor or scholars support it as being the correct, most of the panth's sampardas don't accept it fully and deem it incomplete.

and my problem is that people who follow sect maryadas automatically assume that we who follow SRM are also incomplete, that they don't accept us, their fellow Khalsa, fully.

do you see where i'm going with this?

As far as bringing in Sri Akaal Takht sahib, we need to realize the issue isn't simple as it appears. Whatever group controls the office of Akaal Takht sahib, they are able to impose their views. Currently it's the SGPC. Why not give control of Takht sahib back to the Akali-Nihangs? Will everyone agree to the Nihang-singh maryada if that happens?

no, they will not. just like today, everyone will agree to the maryada they were ordered to follow by the panj piyare at the time of amrit sanchar!

and since i'm a woman who was blessed with khande de pahul, i'm obviously not going to be following nihung rehet. :)

End of the day, everyone is going to follow whatever view feels most correct. It could be Nihang, Taksali, Nirmal, or Missionary maryada.

wrong. everyone is going to follow what they were told to follow by panj piyare.

and what the heck is missionary maryada? :gg:

What we can do is make a resolution adopting some basic points:

- Not belittling another gursikhs chosen maryada

- Not flaunting own chosen maryada as being superior

- Accepting that the panth has diverse views about the Rehit Maryada

once again i need to point out that it's not choice, it's given to us by Guru ji in the form of panj piayre.

i hope i said that enough times. :)

Dear Bhain, people might bash me for this but it was Dashmesh Pita who selected the first Mahaan punj pyare. These days any 5 people can get together and organize an amrit sanchar.

PUnj Pyare are GURU PANTH(they are under the direct command of Dashmesh Pita), but these days many "punj pyaras" speak exactly as they are told by their sant baba or the pardhan of gurdwara committee. I dont think such people are Punj Pyare.

Tomorrow sukhbir badal and some of his kanjarr corrupt akaalis can also become "punj Pyare" . whos stopping them ???

Dusht raagi Darshan "singh" still has decent number of followers, now if he becomes a punj pyare and speak against the pavittar Dasam Bani, will it be an instruction given to us by Guru Jee ?? NOOOO

Some Nirmalas do parchor vedanta(vedas matt) under the guise of Gurmat parchar. Are these instructions of Guru Maharaaj ?

Just as we have lots of bheki "sikhs" these days, we also have lots of bheki "punj pyare".

tried to fix me with one of their "charrdi kala" bibi,lol, haha.
leh yaar ho janda fix...mera vi rasta kholda :sad:

Veer, u dont me to get fixed. U are NRI right. Just attend a smagam or a rainsubai, tell some people that u are NRI and looking to get married, within minutes this information will spread through the entire jathaa and u will have lines of bibis ready to marry you and sit in an aeroplane with u, then after some years call her entire family. If u are a poor nri doing some low paid labour job, this bibi will leave u as well.

Dear Bhain, people might bash me for this but it was Dashmesh Pita who selected the first Mahaan punj pyare. These days any 5 people can get together and organize an amrit sanchar.

PUnj Pyare are GURU PANTH(they are under the direct command of Dashmesh Pita), but these days many "punj pyaras" speak exactly as they are told by their sant baba or the pardhan of gurdwara committee. I dont think such people are Punj Pyare.

Tomorrow sukhbir badal and some of his kanjarr corrupt akaalis can also become "punj Pyare" . whos stopping them ???

Dusht raagi Darshan "singh" still has decent number of followers, now if he becomes a punj pyare and speak against the pavittar Dasam Bani, will it be an instruction given to us by Guru Jee ?? NOOOO

Some Nirmalas do parchor vedanta(vedas matt) under the guise of Gurmat parchar. Are these instructions of Guru Maharaaj ?

Just as we have lots of bheki "sikhs" these days, we also have lots of bheki "punj pyare".

:gg:

so do you believe that some amrit sanchars are not valid? the people think they've had amrit of guru ji, while really they have not? how do we know if our amrit is "real"? :o

when they stir the amrit with the khanda, reciting the bani of Guru ji (shabad guru), focusing on the amrit...

do you think it isn't amrit, because you disagree with the views of those who are holding the bata? or...

it is amrit, but the maryada they give you is wrong, so we're free to use your MAN to decide which maryada to follow?

just curious. i guess i don't understand how the process works, if you don't trust those who distribute guru ji's amrit.

Veer, u dont me to get fixed. U are NRI right. Just attend a smagam or a rainsubai, tell some people that u are NRI and looking to get married, within minutes this information will spread through the entire jathaa and u will have lines of bibis ready to marry you and sit in an aeroplane with u, then after some years call her entire family. If u are a poor nri doing some low paid labour job, this bibi will leave u as well.

just curious... does this count as jatha bashing? coz it kind of looks that way to me...

I am unemployed NRI (not really Indian). I sleep at 2 AM and listen to Nitnem from my laptop after 9 AM, and even then I am 75% asleep. I cannot live without caffeine, be it soda or chaa or coffee. I eat junk food from outside and have no Amritdhari sangat. Once in a while I watch old Hindi movies from the days of my jawanni (high school) without paying for them, and very rarely I listen to songs (Hindi/Punjabi) without paying for them as well. I don't keep any Bibek, only that I don't eat at any restaurant or other outlets here in US. I still have the blot of the blue color passport on my fate and I am not sure if these qualifications are enough for the chardi kala bibis of Bharat. By the way, I am not sure if I want someone from that mahaan desh either because I myself never grew up there. I was 1 when I left it because even at that age I knew that someday I would have to run anyways.