Green(harraa) Is Called Blue(neelaa) In Kashmir

xHarinder_singh

I have always wondered about the tukk in Sri Asa ki Vaar where Guru Sahib has used the term "neel vastarr" for the clothes worn by muslims. I recently met a kashmiri muslim who is very well educated and at the same time is very closely connected to the kashmiri culture and history. He told me that in Kashmir we call "harraa" as "neelaaa".

He also told me many amazing things about kashmiri singhs. He said that sikhs in PUnjab are so different. He was so much of praise for kashmiri singhs that he said "if I get permisson from allah tallaa to opt for a faith other than islam, I will become a sikh".

The main thing is "You Woke Up"...

We read Gurbaani while we are sleeping...we just say the words and give no importance to their meaning...I'm no different...We "read" like we are cramming for exams at the last moment...And after the exam or "reading" we forget the meaning to the words...They seem like they don't even exist until the next Amrit Vela or Rehras time...And then again, cramming occurs...

But Some words strike the heart and have to be translated to our understanding...they just do...

"Choji Mere Govinda..."

;)

I have always wondered about the tukk in Sri Asa ki Vaar where Guru Sahib has used the term "neel vastarr" for the clothes worn by muslims. I recently met a kashmiri muslim who is very well educated and at the same time is very closely connected to the kashmiri culture and history. He told me that in Kashmir we call "harraa" as "neelaaa".

He also told me many amazing things about kashmiri singhs. He said that sikhs in PUnjab are so different. He was so much of praise for kashmiri singhs that he said "if I get permisson from allah tallaa to opt for a faith other than islam, I will become a sikh".

i think your friend is pulling your leg. :) neela doesn't mean green to kashmiri muslims. and even if it did, i don't believe Guru ji was writing in kashmiri dialect.

Guru Gobind Singh ji describes Shiva as "neel kanth". are you suggesting that Shiva has a green throat? but all the idols show blue, right?

oh, and Bhai Vir Singh ji says in Mahan Kosh, p. 381, that neela rang is a blue colour, like the sky but darker. maybe the sky in kashmir is green! :D

actually in older dialects, neela/neel is green

can you give more info? how old? dialects of which language from which region? bhai vir singh ji is a very thorough scholar and would have mentioned a shift in colour between dialects if it were known then, right? mahan kosh by bhai kahan singh nabha ALSO gives the meaning of neela as blue.

i'm not trying to disagree with you, i just want to understand from where this information is coming.