Marriage Allowed With...

P_1984

Well since you asked the question from a cultural standpoint, it is not. It is not permissible to marry anyone from the clan of either your parents let alone village.

according to sikhi, there is NO restriction on marrying someone who's mother is from the same villiage as yours.

please don't encourage jatt culture in a sikhi forum.

Jasleen bhanji. i know u mean well but its not jatt culture....its punjabi culture because I know pathare, tarkhans and many other tribes follow the same principles too. Also Punjabi culture is not all bad.

In regards to sikhi all souls are considered the same...however that does not mean we marry our dads, brothers or cousins....No where does it say in sikhi that I cannot marry my dad. However it is not acceptable to marry my dad due to the close genetic link. Likewise this is the same prinicple but it is extended to tribes and pinds where genetic features are similar.

Jasleen bhanji. i know u mean well but its not jatt culture....its punjabi culture because I know pathare, tarkhans and many other tribes follow the same principles too. Also Punjabi culture is not all bad.

In regards to sikhi all souls are considered the same...however that does not mean we marry our dads, brothers or cousins....No where does it say in sikhi that I cannot marry my dad. However it is not acceptable to marry my dad due to the close genetic link. Likewise this is the same prinicple but it is extended to tribes and pinds where genetic features are similar.

sorry if i've offended, but i know it's not common across all of punjab, because i've done a lot of research on this issue after some high profile "honour killings". the trend is mostly among the primarily agricultural people from malwa region (some harianvi jatts practice it too), that's why i said "jatt", but sure, other "tribes" practice it. that does't make it sikhi or even logical.

having children with anyone outside of the first cousin level of relationship is not a problem from a medical and genetic standpoint. even if we think it is, we should be able to keep track of who we're related to and who we're not. :)

or we could all just marry people of a different nationality altogether, just to make sure. :)

the trend is mostly among the primarily agricultural people from malwa region (some harianvi jatts practice it too), that's why i said "jatt", but sure, other "tribes" practice it.

As a punjaban I can tell you that that you need to research some more. I disagree with the notion that its among the jatts....culturally its widespread across all punjabis with each tribe/caste following it to different levels... I can tell you that its more among the pathara caste/tribe. They go upto grandparents.......so rather than 4 sets of data you have 8 sets to deal with....the rest of the tribes/castes only go as far as parents.

that does't make it sikhi or even logical.

Sikhi says nothing about who you marry. Its very open. Marry your dad and your fine cos it doesn't say in Sikhi don't marry your father. Sikhi only says to marry someone who brings you closer to waheguru....if ure father does that then fine marry him...

Logically if we think then it does make sense. Its about gene pool and avoiding similar genetics but its upto you if u want to see that.

having children with anyone outside of the first cousin level of relationship is not a problem from a medical and genetic standpoint

I disagree....its all about the alleles the couple give to the offspring. Obviously beyond cousins the risk of recessive illnesses decrease but that does not mean its not a problem. Medically even if you have a non-cousin marriages you can produce genetically ill children.

even if we think it is, we should be able to keep track of who we're related to and who we're not. :)

In all honesty, war, migration, families not talking to each other means this is not possible. I don't know about you but I started doing my family tree and its tough..hence why i appreciate this ancient system of keeping track of relations.

In all honesty, war, migration, families not talking to each other means this is not possible. I don't know about you but I started doing my family tree and its tough..hence why i appreciate this ancient system of keeping track of relations.

ok, sorry.

but ya, my grandfather started our family tree... traced back to the 1400s in germany. pretty cool. unfortunately a church fire had destroyed all the records prior to that. :)

Guest Gareeb Nimaana

Definitely NOT allowed. You could well be related and should consider her your sister.

This has nothing to do with any particular caste, but is part of our culture and with good reason too. It's one of the great things about our culture and shows how advanced we once were.

The West has only recently found out the dangers of marrying relatives - the entire British Royal Family suffer from blood defects caused by inter-marriage of cousins.

would you be able to marry someone from the same city in the UK?

There are definite concerns about your family being related to hers that you need to find out. Once that is cleared, it becomes an cultural issue of 2 people from the same village marrying each other that you will need to get over. Once that is done, you will need to toughen up when you go back to your pind as the people who live in the village will make a mockery about your marriage. Once you get over that, live your life out in Love.

I know someone in the same situation as you and they have gotten engaged. If it is cleared that there is no direct blood relation between the families, then it is the culture that you have to confront.