Confused About Nitnem, Please Help!

Guest bornagain

Guest bornagain

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh sangat jee

I am security officer who works nights and sleeps during the day (not that i want to, but have to so i can stay awake the following night). So basically, what is day for 'normal' people is night for me and likewise night for them is, well, a day for me. My understanding of nitnem is that Japji Sahib and 4 other banis are to be recited 'amrit vele'. Bhai Sahib Singh translates amrit vela as 'time where mind is fresh and free from wordly affairs' (correct me if im wrong). Clearly in my situation, the amrit vela is afternoon - evening time when i wake up for work. I dont know what to do, so at the moment i use my own discretion - I do pang banis when i wake up, then around 4 am ish i do Rehraas Sahib, and about 6ish (time i go to bed), i do my Kirtan Sohila. Sometimes, i do panj banis in the morning too, just to make sure im not doing anything against the principles, although as u can understand that becomes a bit hard, having done 10 - 12 hours at work. I dont know what to do, would appreciate any sincere advice!

fateh jee!

PS: I am not amritdhaari (yet - but thats another topic!)

VaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

VaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh!

Aww Paaji it's the same situation this Singh I know is going through (least u know it's not only u) - he works nights as a security guard and his timings for his NitNem is pretty much the same as u but due to the odd working hours the reccommended times can't possible be carried out so as long as ur reciting ur Bani each day then it should be alright! :)

VaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa

VaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh!

Get a walkman, mp3 player, ipod or music enabled mobile phone.

Download Nitnem plug in earphones and listen at the correct time, while doing work.

"haath paon se kaam kiye cheet niranjan naal"

Let me put it this way:

Night in India, is day in North America and vice a versa.

Since your working nights, its completely fine with what you are doing. Its great you're doing Panj banis a day. Maharaj has done kirpa on you.

I hardly do 1 everyday, May the Lord bless me to do more.

VJKK VJKF.