Writing Bani On Paper!

Guest __singh__

Guest __singh__

WJJK WJJF sangat jeo

this is sound to sound weird but a few days back while doing Japji Sahib, a desire flashed in my heart - that i should write japji sahib with my own hands. I think my handwriting is decent enough, but i was thinking of writing in calligraphic style, coz to be honest, the gutka prints can be a lot better and i am just not convinced the print and typesetting and everything does justice to the beautiful words of gurbani (not that i can do any better but hey i have a desire to try! :) ). is this absurd? :S im actually thinking of getting the best paper available, make my own quill and write in 'puratan' style. i must be crazy! but anyway, my point is - IF i decide to go ahead with thiswould I be doing beadbi to bani? please help me in making the right decision!

fateh ji!

WJJK WJJF sangat jeo

this is sound to sound weird but a few days back while doing Japji Sahib, a desire flashed in my heart - that i should write japji sahib with my own hands. I think my handwriting is decent enough, but i was thinking of writing in calligraphic style, coz to be honest, the gutka prints can be a lot better and i am just not convinced the print and typesetting and everything does justice to the beautiful words of gurbani (not that i can do any better but hey i have a desire to try! :) ). is this absurd? :S im actually thinking of getting the best paper available, make my own quill and write in 'puratan' style. i must be crazy! but anyway, my point is - IF i decide to go ahead with thiswould I be doing beadbi to bani? please help me in making the right decision!

fateh ji!

as long as no beadbei occursto the paper

than go for it :)

lol that's what I do! - it helped a lot when I was trying to learn gurmukhi and I've tried it in many different font styles - its fun and you can learn many different bani's faster! ....as long as (as said above) no beadbi takes place and you dont write with shoes on and have washed hands etc

Check out the pics from Day 5 of the Sikhi Camp 2008 (BOSS) to see students writing gurbani at the camp and to see some examples of hand written fonts.

Just do simple things like, clean the pen/pencil/quill you write with, use clean surface (maybe put down a clean cloth as they did at the camp), cover your head, take off shoes etc.

http://www.saintsoldiersounds.com/multimed...p08/index5.html

Flick forward through the pics and you can see the ones you need.

Guest __singh__

Thanks everyone, ive started writing already :) bought a really nice pocket sized notebook from WHSmith, some of you must have seen the ones im on about, check this : http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/...k-32925722.html . and while I was there I got myself a nice parker fountain pen and loads of blank ink catridges. I didnt want to use any 'old' pen, this one is fresh and im going to only use it for Gurbani, and treat it with respect (im crazy i know!). So anyway, what I wanted to say Ive finished writing Japji Sahib, Shabad Hazare, and now Im halfway through Jaap Sahib, without a single mistake by Waheguru jis grace! :) The feeling you get writing each word is beyond words! VERY spiritual, and helps to understand each word seperately as I am having the steek alongside as well! And today, I did Japji Sahib and Shabad Hazare banis from my own 'gutka' :) ) it felt soo nice! I want to go back to writing some more, but your handwriting starts to slip after a couple of hours of continuous writing so i guess raati karo! :) If anyone is interested, I can scan a couple pages from it and post it here :)

fateh!

According to Gurmat,

By speaking, listening and WRITING gurbani, a mortal can cross over the world ocean and also do the udhaar of his ancestory. Here is the gurvaak:

kehte pavitt, sunnte puneet, LIKHTEE(N) kul tariyaaa jeeeooooo.

But make sure that whenever u write bani, u treat that piece of paper just as a Gutka Sahib and give it the same respect.

In the future, the panth is going to write Gurbani again just as we used to do in the 18th century as this industrial civilization(maya) is going to finish in the near future.