Anti Panthic Activity At Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Nottingham

Bahadur_Bahadur

VJKK VJKF,

I was listening to Panjab Radio this morning and Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Nottingham Road, Nottingham is hosting an Akand Paath to commemorate the 300th Gurgaddi Divas of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. However, five Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jis will be read concurrently. The Panjab Radio presenter at the time stated that this was not in accordance to Maryada and plain 'wrong!'.

Also doesn't the Panthic Maryada of the Akal Takht clearly state that our eternal Guru, Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is and can only be recited in one form !? Is the notion of four additional Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jis being recited anti-Panthic !?

The chaar paryiee the paath states the concept of 'soniayee the paryiee' –how can the Sangat possibly listen to four additional Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jis –what spiritual salvation does this bring ?

I understand the managing committee has been led by monae for many years and they have strong affiliations with Congress (Michael Johal, President, 07812 242649). This Gurdwara has never hosted an Amrit Parchar, neither has it supported any Morchae, further when the crash helmet versus Distaar issue was being legislated, this Gurdwara was the only one that wrote to the Prime Minister at the time and said the Distaar is not important and the crash helmet should be endorsed ! Just plain pathetic !!!

I invite the Sangat to educate me in the value of reciting five Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji's concurrently versus the edict of the Panthic Maryada of the Akal Takht ? Should we support Singh Sabha Gurdwara or is this managing committee ill guided with regard to Sikhi Parchaar and Panthic Maryada ????

Thanks and Regards.

VJKK VJKF

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with it - the Bani is read at the same speed by all Paathis. Being such a big occassion, there must have been many people who wanted to get an Akhand Paath done and this is how the Gurdwara arranged it. Gurbani works in many different ways......

Regarding the crash helmet issue - that was about 30 years ago and surely the committee has changed since then several times lol!!

Punjab Radio have their own dodgy agenda. Who are they to talk about Akal Takht Maryada and Hukamnamas when they are openly anti-Dasam Granth and continue to support Darshan Singh!!

I am not sure about maryada and whether it is prohibits such a thing however personally I cannot see why you would do Five Akhand Paths at once and from my question to the Giani there about 3-4 weeks ago, neither could he.

He started telling me about how his Pind in India there is a BIG Gurdwara there that has Hundreds of Akhand Paaths at once. And to make sure all Granthi's actually do what they are supposed to, there's cameras in each Palki.

Now do you honestly think Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji would get the respect they deserve in such a situation? Would everyone Matha Teek to each Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

And where would you draw the line? 5, 10, 100, 500??

There are Historical gurdwaras conected to our Gurus in Punjab where you can get readymade akhandpaths. It's like higher price immediate delivery popular among NRIs. Pay extra and get ardaas done for a paath already completed for higher end customers then and there no need to wait for long queue. is this not brahmanvaad?

Although there's nothing wrong in holding simultaneous akhandpaaths as long as maryada is followed. the more the merrier :)

more Guru Granth Sahibs Jis mean more bani being read....how can that be a bad thing......and how can maharaj be disrespected if theres more than one.......thers one paati reading bani from each saroop....whers the disrespect!!!

regarding matha tekhing to all the Maharaj Saroops.....why not....wats stopping anyone from matha tekhing to all the Maharaj Saroops?!?!?

people just love making something outa nothing if you ask me!!

Regarding the crash helmet issue - that was about 30 years ago and surely the committee has changed since then several times lol!!

Punjab Radio have their own dodgy agenda. Who are they to talk about Akal Takht Maryada and Hukamnamas when they are openly anti-Dasam Granth and continue to support Darshan Singh!!

----

Matheen, you are correct that the crash helmet issue was over 30 years ago ! However, regretably I must correct your assumption that the committee has changed. They are all inter-related, nepatistic monae strong hold families. Nothing has changed -no evolution/ growth of the Sangat, etc. Sikhi Prachaar is weak at this Gurdwara and this is common knowledge across the country. Please everyone pray to Guru Ji to bless these monae with Amrit. Monae should not be allowed to set the Sikh agenda -they have no right. These are the same people who say Amrit and keeping Kes/ Distaar is a ritual/ old fashioned and 'its all about the inside'. Partially true, wrt to 'the inside' but isnt keeping Kes/ Distaar and being blessed with Amrit the basic tenants of Sikhi !

You are entitled to your views (like I am on mine) wrt Panjab Radio, etc. May Guru Ji bless you with a great day.

So back to the original point Akand Paath with one Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji or 'N'. Where 'N' is a large positive integer.... right or wrong?????

Bul chuk maaf karnie.

more Guru Granth Sahibs Jis mean more bani being read....how can that be a bad thing......and how can maharaj be disrespected if theres more than one.......thers one paati reading bani from each saroop....whers the disrespect!!!

regarding matha tekhing to all the Maharaj Saroops.....why not....wats stopping anyone from matha tekhing to all the Maharaj Saroops?!?!?

people just love making something outa nothing if you ask me!!

No one has said anything about holding concurrent Akand Paaths are:

a. disrespectful (although some may say they are technically wrong)

b. limits to maatha tek

What is being asked is 'what is the value of hosting many Akand Paaths together' ? You are not reading more bani because there are more Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jis -its not as simple as that -there is no correlation. Please stick to the question.