November 1984

liveandletlive

This is just 1 case of many. It was our own sisters, mothers and brothers.

Any vigils or programmes being held to remember and ask for justice???

1984: Massacre of Sikhs

Some Case Histories

From Report of the Citizens’ Commission, consisting of Justice S. M. Sikri, Badrud-Din Tyabji (Indian Civil Service), Rajeshwar Dayal (Indian Foreign Service), Govind Narain (Indian Civil Service) and TCA Srinivasavardan (Indian Administrative Service). The report was released just a few months after the massacre.

[Reproduced from The Sikh Review, November 2000]

Case-6

A woman from Trilokpuri described her harrowing experience. She and her husband, a Lobana Sikh, originally from Sind, had migrated to Rajasthan in 1947. About fifteen years ago they had moved to Delhi in search of better prospects. During the slum clearance drive of 1974-75, they had been resettled in Trilokpuri.

She and her husband and three of their children survive, but the eldest son aged 18 was killed on 1 November.

She described the mob led by the Congress-I block pradhan as consisting of some people from the same block and others from neighbouring blocks and nearby villages. While the block pradhan identified Sikh houses and urged the mobs to loot, burn and kill, the women were herded together into one room. Some of them ran away but were pursued to the nearby nallah where they were raped. Their shrieks and cries for help fell on deaf ears. From among the women held in the room, the hoodlums asked each other to select whomsoever they chose. All the women were stripped and many dishonoured. She herself was raped by ten men. Their lust satisfied, they told the women to get out, naked as they were. For fear of their lives they did so, hiding their shame as best as possible. Each begged or borrowed a garment from relenting neighbours and sought shelter wherever they could.

The Sikh Genocides of 1984 rank as one of the worst instances of communal violence in the world. For something like that to have happened in that day and age and in a country like India, was abysmal. Twenty-one years later, the issue still has not been adequetly adressed.

i don't think we can call what happend in 84 a 'riot', thats just sugercoating what actually happend, it was a MASS GENOCIDE of great proportion. absoloutely disgusting and babaric. makes me blood boil looking at the photographs of innocent sikh men being burnt alive. just think about it that could have been our father being torched infront of our faces.

What an apalling and rancid political society India is, politicians giving execution orders to street gangs!

how can the people responisible sleep at night? maybe because they are the spawns of hitler

"I felt like a refugee in my own country. In fact, I felt like a Jew in Nazi Germany."

- Khushwant Singh