Can I Remove My Kara In Self Defence Classes

roop33

VJKK, VJKF

Dear all.

I have a currently doing Martial Arts, in which there is a lot of close quarter sparring/grappling etc.

I was wondering if I am allowed to remove my Kara when undertaking such activities. I wonder if anyone could help.

many thanks

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh!

My younger sister used to do martial arts...she just used to wear a sweat band and that should be fine, it is all you really need to do...you shouldnt have to take your kara off, as the kara has been given by our guruji to be worn on our wrists....not in our pockets. ~ But then again that is just my opinion on this topic....pul chuk maf if i have said anything wrong though. :rolleyes:

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1stly ur taking ur kara off to put in ur pocket....yes ur taking ur kara off!!!!ur not suppose to.

2ndlu u put all sorts of crap in ur pocket rubbish tissues etc. wud u put ur kirpan in ur pocket???i wudnt disrecpectful. i wudnt take it off. same as kara. that guitar comment killed me!!!geese man aaaarrrrrr poor u does ur kara get in the way?????arrrrrrrr

ive dun martial arts for years, hockey football etc. never ben an issue. ashame it is for u.

Sorry to be blunt but I take my Kara off when I go for a poo. I put it in my dhumala/keski as this is the highest point of the body and the Kara is given its satkaar while I have my poo. Simple.

Come on guys, common sense speaks itself here!

For those who believe that the Kara should always remain on their wrists, have a good peak when your right or left hand goes down to have a good wipe.

Guru Sahib has given us Kakkar to wear in a certain way, but that doesnt mean we cannot slightly adjust this, inorder to carry out a task, which could disrespect it if we dont remove it. Theres nothing wrong with taking off your kara and wearing it either in your dhumala or kamar kasa for the certain tasks to be carried out. Fair enough your pocket may not be clean, then at least the individual can tie it as stated above.

Fateh Ji

Good topic....

I agree keep kara in your dastar or kamarkasa, i wrap my kirpan in kamarkasa when i do martial arts as i have had it stab into me few times when i fall to the ground lol, nihang singhs always have panj shastar in dhumala to keep reyat when going midaaneh, aslong as you have kara on your body your not doing anything wrong.

you know what it depends on how big you kara is, both of mine are big and heavy I would have to take them of playing hockey and shastar vidiya as I wouldn't want to hurt myself or anyone.

keep it in ur karmakassa or dumalla if its heavy and not a average size one what ever that is lool

comparing your kara to your kirpan by saying "would you put your kirpan in your pocket" is just BS. People fart on their kesharas, should we also say "would you fart on your kirpan" to compare???

Just put it in your dastaar, and it shoud be fine. The same way remove your keski from your head when you wash your hair...

Leh :D everyones getting in a tiff. Wear a sweat band over your kara or put it in your pocket. Only the person who does the actual action can tell the difference. From what we see it is Right or Wrong. We can reflect our views and tell the person. But their are some people who listen but dont act and some who listen and take the words to the heart.

Do what you think is Right not wrong.

:vaheguru: