Are There Tables And Chairs In Any Gurdwaras Outside Of Bc, Canada?

Guest _SinghSingh_

i can understand if a 80 year old person wishes to sit on a chair and eat langar like that but to everyone else how hard is to sit on the bloody floor for less than a hour? is it too hard to swallow your food if you are sitting on the floor?

all this crap about modernizing has got nothing to do with it. the fact is that we are acting like monkeys, we see christians sitting on chairs in churches and we want to copy that. thats what monkeys do, they see someone doing something and they want to copy that. people get rid of the ego and sit on the bloody floor. its not going to make you a lesser man by sitting on the floor and sitting on a carpet is not going to wreck your clothes.

why have a carpet? did the gurus definitely have a carpet? its nothing to do with progress. it to do with common sense. chairs dont do any harm. cigarettes yes they harm, chairs dont. it is more comfortable to sit on a chair and eat from a table.

lol do u realise i can use your argument against you. why wear nike shoes? did gurus have them? why drink pepsi? did gurus drink it? why go on the net? did gurus used it?

and lol it is about comfort for you. is it really that hard for you to sit on the floor for 1 hour? if it is sit next to the wall and concentrate on the paath, you will start feeling comfortable in a while. your theory is that its more comfortable to sit on a chair and table but its also more comfortable to not study and get a job. instead one can stay home and be comfortable, yet i doubt you do that....

i have seen very elderly people sit on the floor instead of sitting on a chair, people who are close to 90 years old, if any one has the right to talk about comfort its them, yet they sit on the floor like everyone else and concentrate on the paath, not once have i heard them asking for tables and chairs unless they really need it. if they can do it is it really that hard for you and me?

you cant use my argument against me! it was not my argument, it was your argument. i say we should have chairs and you say no because the gurus did not use them. so if they didnt use them then we shouldnt use nike shoes or cars or light bulbs or we could just be sensible and focus on important things like war and famine, racism and politics, global warming and poverty, injustice and oppression, animal cruelty and drought, floods and hurricanes, earthquakes and forest fires. people need to wake up and forget about small things like tables and chairs and focus on the important stuff.

lol its still about comfort for you, let me ask you again, if elderly people dont have a problem with sitting on the floor, why do you. are you in such a bad shape that sitting on the floor for 1 hour is too much to ask?

i dont have problems that stop me sitting on the floor i just choose not to. what is your problem with me sitting on chair?

by the way im in good shape, i play football and squash most weeks

so geo, why do you want chairs and table in your gurudwara?

there are chairs in the gurdwara that i go to. i agree with this so in that regard im happy

but don't get attached, those tables ladders and chairs don't go with you when you die.

But they could be the cause of your death. :o

maybe they could be the cause of my death. but maybe they could be the cause of death to those who try to take them away. it is not for anyone to dictate to me

sitting on the floor is better for your health and posture.

but we really need chairs though dont we?? because the panth is now full of disabled and physically unfit ingrates who need a hip replacement before their chittar even touch the floor!!! imagine u trying to explain to GURU GOBIND SINGH JI at LANGAR SAHIB that HIS proposal of NOT having chairs and tables in the langar hall was wrong.

geo im gessing your one of these neo-sikh who want to reform EVRYTHING in sikhi. go to a mosque and say to the sule that they should sit on chairs in the mosque....you'll end up in so many peices just for asking.

but we really need chairs though dont we?? because the panth is now full of disabled and physically unfit ingrates who need a hip replacement before their chittar even touch the floor!!! imagine u trying to explain to GURU GOBIND SINGH JI at LANGAR SAHIB that HIS proposal of NOT having chairs and tables in the langar hall was wrong.

geo im gessing your one of these neo-sikh who want to reform EVRYTHING in sikhi. go to a mosque and say to the sule that they should sit on chairs in the mosque....you'll end up in so many peices just for asking.

:D :D :D :D :D

Agreeeeeee....!!!

i have read geo's posts in regards to Dhan Dhan Sahib Sree Guroo Granth Sahib Jee...in the vienna topic as well-i am disgusted

now i know this is not a gursikh thing to say....but i feel like crying after reading your beadbified remarks-go and jump in a well!

dont be such a girl! its not my fault if you cant understand what im trying to explain. my messages are of tolerance, how can that be a bad thing?

:D :D :D :D :D

Agreeeeeee....!!!

do they have a langar hall in the mosque? so how is this relevant? you go to a fundamentalist church and tell them to sit on the floor, see how many peices you end up in. this is a pointless discussion. we are talking about gurdwaras not mosques or churches.

when did guru gobind singh propose this? where is it written? when did he ban chairs? maybe one of the gurus also proposed gathering firewood, why do you guys use gas and electricity? what is wrong with having tables and NO chairs, that way everyone can stand and eat, whats wrong wtih that option?

Sitting on the floor IS the most efficient way to eat langar, and for it to be served as well.

For those who are eating: use of space is optimised and more people can eat at one time.

For the sewadars: it's easy to serve the langar and give out thaals, clean the floor etc.

Sitting on the floor also discourages people from lounging about after they eat and to talk less during langar as well.

There are several studies that have been carried out which prove that sitting in chairs is a major cause of hip-inflexibility in Westerners, in addition to numerous lower back problems. In Asia and Africa, where people squat down when farming, chatting with friends, waiting at bus/train stations, eating etc, hip problems are almost unheard of. Even the very old easily sit on the floor.

Good post.

Geo, sitting on the floor is also part of the maryada of showing respect to Guru Ka Langar. For that reason, standing and eating is not recommended - it's also bad for the digestive system.

Taking all the requirements of Guru Ka Langar into consideration, the best solution is the one Guru Ji gave us - all sit in pangat on the floor.

Sitting on the floor IS the most efficient way to eat langar, and for it to be served as well.

For those who are eating: use of space is optimised and more people can eat at one time.

For the sewadars: it's easy to serve the langar and give out thaals, clean the floor etc.

Sitting on the floor also discourages people from lounging about after they eat and to talk less during langar as well.

There are several studies that have been carried out which prove that sitting in chairs is a major cause of hip-inflexibility in Westerners, in addition to numerous lower back problems. In Asia and Africa, where people squat down when farming, chatting with friends, waiting at bus/train stations, eating etc, hip problems are almost unheard of. Even the very old easily sit on the floor.

Good post.

Geo, sitting on the floor is also part of the maryada of showing respect to Guru Ka Langar. For that reason, standing and eating is not recommended - it's also bad for the digestive system.

Taking all the requirements of Guru Ka Langar into consideration, the best solution is the one Guru Ji gave us - all sit in pangat on the floor.

eating while standing up is NOT bad for digestion. there is no evidence for this. if you disagree then please show me where this research has been done to prove this.

by this reasoning then, tables and chairs would be ok if you had more than enough space?

also by this reasoning standing up and eating would optimise use of space even better if it were done properly.

if standing up and eating were done properly, with narrow tables then this would be easier to serve the people their food.

sitting on the floor is not the most efficient way to serve food, if it were im sure mcdonalds and kfc would adopt it and the population would accept it if as you claim it is better for health.

i would also like to point out that most meals are consumed in the home, do any of you eat on the floor in your home? if not then why are you talking about the health benefits? just simply say that you believe this is the correct way and thats that. dont say floor is healthier and then eat your roti at home on a table and chair thats just hypocritical.

Good post.

You're a table&chair fanatic lol.

Ask a desi doctor / ayurveda practitioner why it's not good to eat standing up. Eastern civilisation has been around for much longer than Western, but we're quick to see everything foreign as better or more advanced. Until recently, most Asians did sit cross legged and eat.

However, as I wrote earlier, the main reason for Langar on the floor is maryada and respect ( similar to how we shouldnt really take Degh standing up, but that is another tradition that has been lost outside traditional groups of Sikhs).