RSS exploite & brainwash the poor

Sunny

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...MNGFV6530M1.DTL

http://www.akj.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=3&i=16236&t=16236

Gonasika, India -- The students singing a timeless Hindu hymn in this remote tribal village have no idea that they are pawns in a political experiment driven by ancient Indian hatreds and funded by donated U.S. dollars.

To pupils and parents, most of whom are "tribals," or aboriginal peoples, the school is a ray of hope in a life of desperate poverty. "My family sent me here because they couldn't afford me," said Dyneswar Juang, a seventh-grader. "Here I get everything for free. I have a future."

But human rights organizations in the eastern state of Orissa say the school and others like it are political tools in the hands of India's foremost Hindu nationalist organization, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

In the past several years, the RSS and its allies, collectively called the Sangh Parivar, have built a network of more than 30,000 Hindu religious schools, called shishu mandirs or "temples of learning." Most are located in remote tribal regions where government schools are few. Using the promise of free education and housing, the shishu mandirs have enrolled more than 5 million impoverished youths, including many orphans.

In class, students are "subtly indoctrinated into the RSS Hindutva ideology," said Sudarshan Das, president of Agami Orissa, an umbrella organization of nongovernmental organizations w

orking with tribal peoples.

Hindutva, or "Hinduness" is a nationalist ideology that asserts history, science, politics, economics and other subjects should be viewed from a Hindu perspective. Hindutva proponents say Islam and Christianity have divided India and caused its decline from its glorious past. With India facing Islamic separatists in Kashmir and aggressive proselytizing by evangelical Christians, the RSS believes their sovereignty and identity are under a renewed threat and Hindus should turn secular India into a Hindu state.

Subash Chauhan, the Orissa state secretary of a group that runs hundreds of shishu mandirs, concedes the schools' goal is to "make sure the Hindutva mood is created in Orissa."

In a recent report, Teesta Setalvad, a civil rights activist, chronicled how the shishu mandirs promote anti-Islamic and anti-Christian sentiment while lionizing the RSS. Students spend hours studying Hindu religion and culture and their history textbooks recount how "Muslim invaders killed our (Hindu) forefathers like flies."

Willy D'Costa, national secretary of the Indian Social Action Forum, an organization associated with Christian groups, says the Sangh Parivar also is leveraging the devotional fervor of the students and using them as shock troops in violent anti-Muslim and anti-Christian pogroms.

They point to the Hindu-Muslim riots that rocked the western state of Gujarat in March 2002. Witnesses and human rights groups reported that tribal areas where the RSS was most active experienced the worst violence.

Paramdara Pillay, a teacher at Juang's school, says his colleagues in Gujarat were "forced to send their students to fight or else they would have lost their jobs and funding for their schools."

Significantly, a sizable chunk of funding comes from Indians living in the United States, says Vijay Prashad, director of International Studies at Trinity College in Hartford, Conn., and a founder of FOIL, an umbrella organization of Indian

leftists.

"At least $6 million has been officially raised in the U.S and sent to these schools (by) U.S. branches of Sangh Parivar organizations," said Prashad, who along with several scholars and activists co-authored a report on such funding for South Asia Citizen's Watch, a human rights group based in France. "Often the funds are raised through charitable fronts, (and) donors have no idea where their money is going."

In India, fundamentalist religious organizations have long used foreign- funded schools to groom adherents. Saudi-funded Muslim madrassas are fertile recruiting grounds for extremists in Kashmir and elsewhere. And the Sangh Parivar accuses Western-funded Christian evangelists of using schools to lure vulnerable groups into Christianity.

But what makes the Sangh Parivar's schools different is the fact that nearly all of the enrolled students are not Hindus, according to Maj. A. Somnath, of the Dalit Solidarity People's Party.

"Because they need our votes, they are trying to make us Hindus," Somnath said, referring to tribals and Dalits (untouchables) at the bottom of India's caste system. "It's a kind of social engineering that has very dangerous effects."

The debate reflects an age-old social schism that has long haunted Indian politics.

About 2,000 years ago, Indian society organized people into a hierarchy of castes based on "ritual purity.'' Brahmins (priests) were followed by Kshatriyas (warriors), Vaisyas (traders), and Sudras (peasants). Tribals and some non-tribal groups, who now call themselves Dalits, were considered too impure to belong to any caste and became untouchables.

Excluded from mainstream Hindu life, the untouchables developed their own system of worship. Tribals typically follow animist beliefs, praying to trees and stones while Dalits pray to supernatural forces and Earth goddesses.

Since tribal religions have no religious texts or grand places of worship, they are often ignored

by other faiths. The Sangh Parivar insists that tribals and Dalits - as well as Sikhs, Buddhists and Jains -- are simply waylaid Hindus.

"This is not conversion but assimilation," said Ajay Sahni, executive director of the Institute for Conflict Management in New Delhi." And despite the theological arguments, he says the goal is completely political.

Tribals and Dalits make up about 35 percent of India's 1 billion inhabitants. Traditionally, they have joined India's Muslims, who represent just 12 percent of the population, in voting against the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party, a Hindu nationalist party. With new elections on Tuesday, pollsters say the BJP needs tribal and Dalit votes. Das says the shishu mandirs convert tribal students to Hinduism by teaching them to worship Hindu deities, and break tribal affinities with Muslims and Christians by demonizing both communities.

Chauhan says the assimilation of tribals into Hinduism is less socially disruptive than their conversion into a foreign religion like Christianity. He says Christian groups have made India a prime target for their proselytizing and that about 2,000 tribals have been converted in recent months.

"If Hindus do not unite, we will soon become a minority in our own country," said Chauhan. Though census figures do not support his argument -- India's Hindu population has held steady for decades at about 82 percent -- the Sangh Parivar has been effective at using it to rally tribals.

"Yes, we are Hindus," said Lahuri Juang, Gonasika's tribal priest, who minutes later performed an animist sacrifice that involved beheading a chicken and anointing his forehead with its blood.

All around Juang, the cracked mud huts and bloated bellies indicated that his village is not on anyone's development map. There is almost no sign of modern life anywhere -- except for an official notice advising residents how to update their voting records on a wall in the community warehouse filled with grain.

<

br>With elections looming, Das worries that the kind of violence that rocked Gujarat could break out here. In the past year, according to local police, several churches have been torched in the state and at least 30 Hindu- Christian clashes have occurred. Local police, human rights groups and opposition parties have accused Sangh Parivar of complicity in the violence.

"The Hindu right does not want any rival religion in India," said Maj. Somnath, the Dalit activist. "They tried to destroy Buddhism all those years ago, now they are doing it to us."

if u think about it, its pretty horrible cuz sum ppl hu really wanna learn r learnin the wrong things. n then gettin brainwashed only 2 end up killin minorities like sikh in india (or they may that big end up targeting sikhs worldwide). bit like germans nazi ppl innit. used 2 make kids learn about hitler, his whole life etc etc etc, then were told every1 wuz ure enemy n every1 had 2 end up joinin the army 9so that they cud defend themselves frm every1 around them wuz hitlers excuse). n thats wen ppl like my grandad came in2 worldwar 2 n kill the germans. (sikh regiment rules!)

kandola took the words out of my mouth. Here you have a massive 35% of india thats left to rot in backward life no education no hope , limited thought processes left gullible in the face of manipulation. Thats what happens when their faced with rejection from society wherever they turned for thousands of years including being unceremoniously kiked away from sikhism due to their living conditions and caste. Why are the rss getting to these tribes? where are the sikh missionaries why hasnt sikhi been taken to these people in todays age? why isnt sikhi taken where its really needed? theres a revolution waiting to happen in india it would be a dream come true if 35% of india became sikhs.

The dalits have not even realised their full potential in the nomadic lives some of them lead in different regions of india which various khalistani leaders have not only taken note of but written on check khalistan.net and the newly formed srimoni khalsa dal article. There is a verse by Guru Gobind Singh on the dalits along the lines of "rangrettas". One of the original panj pyarey was an untouchable before he took amrit from Guru Gobind Singh ji.

Theres two sides to dalits in india its not all about rss

check this link on 5 dalits slaughtered over some cow 5 human lives were cheaper than a cow?

http://www.countercurrents.org/dalit-cow.htm

in my opinion, the main sikh organisations are doin parchaar of sikhi (u gotta admit, u hav 2 thank SGPC 4 allowin alpha 2 broadcast gurbani. thats wot got me in2 sikhi). but the parchaar is not enuff. Raja Ranjit Singh n his ppl did loadsa parchaar, result tens of thousands of hindus n muslims embraced sikhi. we owe raja ranjit singh alot 4 this parchaar cuz now theres a 150 million strong fauj in the world (hu r sikhs). but y organistations like the SGPC, or other organisations arent doin enuff parchaar (n bringin others in2 sikhi like yogi bhajan did) dunno. now RSS is makin hinduism stronger (which iz gud, but wot the RSS is sayin is hindusm doesnt tolerate other religions). wen the gujrat riots took place there wuz a documentry on this. n gora asks RSS guy

"wot is the main mission of the RSS?"

RSS(in gujrati): "our mission is to take over india and encourage all the countries frm Burma 2 Iraq 2 embrace the Hindu Dharam. This was what Hinduism was once was. We want to bring the old glory days back"

Gora: "What about other religions such as Sikhism who have saved Hinduism?"

RSS: "We thank them, however the Hindu Dharam is no longer in trouble, as a result we want to encourage everyone to embrace Hinduism. And bring back the old glory days of the worlds largest religion"

Gora: "I just saw a Muslim women who was recently burnt by acid, she claims it was the RSS people who did this. Is this true?"

RSS: "No....Muslims want to make Hindus look bad.... it happened by accident"

Gora: "So your saying someone through a bottle of acid was an accidnent"

RSS: :umm: .... yes

well wot u make of that then? can ny1 remember, it wuz on channel 4 long time ago. years n yrs bak.

both of you are right i agree this damn india is working on next evil level.

i hope and pray khalsa raj comes fast , we must stay united in the face of rss and the indian groups.

kandola few sgpc sevedars are doin a wicked job in parchar, but heres a big chunk of people that need it who just aint getting it. imagine instead of rss brainwashing if these simple minds are brainwashed the right way with naam simran and gurbani. i reckon sikhs shud do parchar in chumar strongholds that leads to the potential of india coming down into two pieces minimum . the indian gov and major right wing hindu groups have treated the chumars with serf status but the potential of a khalsa raj across india still stands if numbers are created then grouping into strategic areas.

the indian gov is very wrong khalsa ji the list is very long, it is no friend of the punjab never was, which is why punjabis must rely on themselves and form together regroup and take what belongs to it when they are strong enough. the more combined strentgh the better it is.

hajara, dont call me khalsa ji (if u were implyin this 2 me) i aint amritdhari.

yes SGPC r doin parchaar (few sewadars) but not enuff. we need organisations 2 go 2 the chamars n preach. there mus b millons of em.

Raja Ranjit Singh did loadsa parchaar by gettin muslas, hindus n chamars in2 sikhi. the numbers in millions, but its a shame this has neva bin repeated since. howeva ppl hu hav got internet can thank waheguroo.com, sikhnet.com (though they giv wrong advice @ times) 4 doin parchaar. i hav managed 2 meet gursikhs on the site (thru the internet). but wot about those hu aint got email n internet?????? (SGPC need 2 do loads more than wot they r doin now. its gr8 they got alpha broadcasted n stuff, but wot needs 2 b dun r gyanis or sewadars 2 go 2 remote villages, chamur strongholds or even 2 other minority strongholds n preach, i thought yogi bhajan wuz gonna send 10,000 singhs 2 india n do parchaar, sez in that in search of the true guru book that he wuz gonna send em, guess not yet.)

kandola your mixed up where i said khalsa im replieing to "brave khalsa".

untouchables are 35% of 1 billion. 350 million.( my first figure was mistaken) i read somewhere the khalsa one day will reach a figure of 960 million whether thats true or not i dont know but id love to see soooo many sikhs.

new info to me big up to the the sacrifices of raja ranjit singh but i wasnt aware to what level parchar is carried out in india, and if it was im sure we would notice changes, i went to punjab 2 years ago most of my cousins cut their hair in punjab, more interested in looking like pretty boys wearing american designers.but i saw a hell of a lot of kesdhari sikhs in delhi its like a mini punjab in some parts .

i think it wud be rocking to take sikhi where its needed, if our people dont want it what can you do?