Sgpc: Sahajdhari Is One Who Slowly Adopts Doctrines Of Sikhism

Azaad

Chandigarh, December 10

The Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) today made official its stand on the definition of Sahajdhari by dissecting the word to say “sahaj” meant slowly and “dhari” connoted adoption.

In an affidavit submitted to the Punjab and Haryana High Court, the SGPC asserted Sahajdharis, as such, were novices born in non-Sikh families, “who have expressed their desire to adopt Sikhism slowly and gradually, its doctrines, ethics and tenants with belief in Shri Guru Granth Sahib and the 10 Gurus”.

Elaborating, the SGPC has asserted: “A Sahajdhari is a novice who has entered the path of Sikhism and will continue to be so till he fully accepts the moral and spiritual vows of Sikhism, to be called a practicing Sikh professing Sikhism.”

“Once a Sahajdhari becomes a Keshdhari Sikh, he, under no circumstances by cutting/trimming hair, beard, eyebrows in any manner, can claim to be a Sahajdhari Sikh. Similarly, a Sikh born in a Sikh family cannot claim to be a Sahajdhari Sikh by trimming / cutting hair, beard or eyebrows in any manner”.

Quoting the provisions of Section 2 (10)-A of the Sikh Gurdwara Act, 1925, the SGPC added: “A Sahajdhari Sikh is a person who performs ceremonies according to the Sikh rites; who does not use tobacco, kutha, halal meat in any form, who is not a patit and who can recite mulmantra”.

The affidavit by SGPC secretary Harbeant Singh was placed before the high court’s three-judge Bench of Justice J.S. Khehar, Justice Jasbir Singh and Justice A.K. Mittal on a petition filed by a student, Gurleen. She and other had been denied admission in the MBBS in Sri Guru Ram Dass Institute of Medical Education and Research, Amritsar, against seats reserved for Sikh students on the ground that those trimming beard or plucking eyebrows were not Sikhs in strict religious sense of the term. The case will now come up for further hearing on January 16 next year.

I am a mona and clean shaven and I dont agree with the Sehjdhari "Sikh" Federation

At the end of the day if you are not going to keep your kes, abstain from alcohol, meat (or halal depending if you think Jhatka is right), tobacco and adultery then you are not a sikh. Simple

Mona (like me) do not deserve the right to vote and have a say on the descions the KHALSA PANTH takes as we are not even sikhs. SIMPLE.

For once SGPC have the balls 2 do something right

Wow, just think if guru nanak was alive, who would he consider a sikh? wheather if they had kesh/dhari or not? <_<

Im getting <Edited> of with this attitude towards mona's not being Sikhs esp amritdhari's sikhs thinking they are only the gurus sikhs and they are higher then all. If Sikhs get khalistan, then what? Kick all mona's out? treat them like 2nd class citizens?

Dont get me started about SGPC, they sold out the sikh nation.

If a person believes in One God and has faith in the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, that person should be considered a Sikh, doesn't matter if you're mona or keshdharee.

But keep this in mind, a person should not be considered a Sikh if he/she encourages others to take part in things that are against the teachings of Sikhi. I don’t care if you have a hair cut or trim your beard or drink, that’s your own personal choice (I will still call you a Sikh) but if you go around encouraging these types of things and telling others to drink or smoke or cut their hair or discriminate, then you should not be considered a Sikh.

Its the duty of a Sikh to spread the message of Guru Ji and anyone who spreads the opposite message, should be considered the exact opposite – not a Sikh.

Just my thoughts. :)

I personally feel that sehajdhari sikhs are VERY IMPORTANT and sehajdhari shud be respected and LOVED so that they become amritdhari rehitdhari sikhs. Baba Jarnail Singh Jee Bhindrawale used to treat sehajdhari sikhs with respect and as a result, loads of sehajdhari sikhs became amritdhari at that time.

According to me a

sikh= an amritdhari who keeps proper rehit( rehit binai na sikh akhavai, rehit binai dar chotan khavai)

sehajdhar sikh = a person who

a) has accepted the supremacy of the house of Guru Nanak Dev jee- Guru Gobind Singh Jee and does not bow his head in front of anyone else other than Guru Granth Sahib Jee

b) does not take tobacco, does not commit adultery and does not eat halal(muslim) meat

c) does mool mantarr or gurbani paath, does some jorian de seva at Guru Ghar.

Whether a sehajdhari sikh keeps kesh or not is a non-issue. Kesh are to be kept only when sehajdhari sikh wants to chakk amrit.

The SGPC has been a disastar for Sikhs ever since its founding. The sahejdhari discrimination thats going on is completely anti-Sikh. The khalsa and Sikh definations are different this is what the SGPC is failing to address, they are making all Sikhs to come under the Khalsa rehat without being ready and this is the biggest mistake that has lead to political troubles and religious discriminations and animosity between keshdari and mona/sehejdhari Sikhs. Guru Nanak Dev ji would never turn away a hindu or muslim followers who had different appearences, some shaved faces some not. Why should we turn away and discriminate against our own Sikh brothers and sisters who are sehajdhari because the SGPC doesnt have the courage or humility to accept sehajdharis on their committee. Guru Gobind Singh Ji founded the Khalsa so that the Sikhs who were ready to stand up and fight for him and the community can be visilbly seen, he created the Khalsa's he did not insist all Sikhs become khalsa's or did he?

Approx 80% of Sikhs are sehajdhari's, discrimination against them has not only harmed the political movement for azaadi for Khalistan but also marginlised them from the dharam. So It's important to make them feel part of the religion and encourage them to activiely take part and god willing when they ready to take amrit they will become Khalsa's. I see kids being baptised as khalsa's yet when some hit their teens they rebel and become thugs indulging in anti-sikh behaviour and giving Amritdhari Sikhs a bad name, it is better that people develop first as a Sikh then when their older, wiser and ready to become a Khalsa they do so.