What Makes You A Warrior ?

TruSoul

We all know that we are supposed to be warrior saints. Think we have the saint part covered in depth. What about the warrior side, what makes you a warrior ?

What does a modern warrior have to train in, arts to learn ?

I cant find anything any where to illustrate what is a modern Sikh warrior, okay i know some are going to have kittens over the " modern " part. But think about it alot has changed from the days of our Guru ji's we cant just swing swords in todays combat.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think every Singh and Singhani should be ready, and be willing to take part in combat...Thats what makes you a warrior...some sikhs are becoming pacifists these days and it makes NO scense. they claim to be saint soldiers but totally leave the soldier part out. As for training, if you are going to do sewa for the panth in such a manner that you will need to learn combat then thats a whole diff story, but more in general i think you should just be willing and be ready to be get involved in combat because when the time for the sewa comes guru sahib will take it from you himself..theres a story a singh told me of a very old singh in 84 who did langar di sewa everday at a gurdwara. Everyday he would take a kurpa and perpare daal, sabji etc. In 84 when a mob came to riot the gurdwara the singh (WHO WAS REALLY OLD) went infront of the gurdwara gate with his kurpa and as soon as somone from the mob would come near him he would hit them in the head with his kurpa, and protected the gurdwara for a really long time, in the end he did attain shaheedi.

We all know that we are supposed to be warrior saints. Think we have the saint part covered in depth. What about the warrior side, what makes you a warrior ?

I cant find anything any where to illustrate what is a modern Sikh warrior, okay i know some are going to have kittens over the " modern " part. But think about it alot has changed from the days of our Guru ji's we cant just swing swords in todays combat.

Wjkk Wjkf Jeo,

Although I am not capable yet of answering this question but I can point one thing, we are not supposed to be warrior saints, its saint warrior instead. This difference might sound subtle, but makes all the difference imho. Crave to be a saint first, once we have become one, Guruji will answer automatically and tell us what to do in order to be a warrior. Please, Bani comes first. Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj were an ocean of peace, the waves of warriorhood at on top, and temporary ones at that. Let's all fill our little ponds with nectar of the bani first, then we can think of ways to get our waves splashing when we are forced to go that far.

Sorry if i have said anything wrong

Fateh Jeo.

But is it easier said then done in today's society, shouldn't all Sikhs be familiar in how to use firearms, close hand combat and general combat routines.

Am not to sure in techniques used during Guru ji's time, but wouldn't warfare techniques develop and have evolved with demands on the battlefield ?

If yes, how come we are lagging so far behind. Very few Sikhs know basic combat. Courage and bravery is a huge factor when it is needed but to be able to respond in a tactical manner is whole different thing.

Also in the way things are these days, with regards to a massive focus on terrorism, would learning combat be seen as in sighting and supporting terrorism ?

Or is it our fundamental right/part as Sikhs to learn?

Correct me if am wrong but didnt Sikhs have to train and practice Gatka etc on a daily bases to make sure they are always conditioned.

I dont understand why a massive factor of Sikhi has just been washed away/dissolved. How can we focus/discuss pointless issues and never once think am i in a condition to protect my own and others if the need be.

It has shown in history that poorly trained armies only get so far, you can be the bravest of soldiers but to not train and maintain your combat readiness is foolish.

Maybe because sikhs over the last few 100 years have had no need or direct combat need that we have become lazy and lackluster is our approach to combat.

I dont know, think we need to take serious look into this matter, i will try and find some more information.

This is a debate am not trying to start something and annoy those that think we should just ignore it.

Slightly off topic:

Also if you didnt know, the Iraq elite army was trained by a Singh. I watched an interview when the whole iraq thing kicked off, even then he said that he has trained the army in such away that this war will go on for years even decades. I written down his name somewhere il have to hunt it down.

Warriors must be trained in the best weapons of the age they live in.

In the Gurus time the best weapons were long bow, swords, muskets ect

Shastar vidya is important to learn. Arts of hand to hand combat and combat with weaponary should be mastered.

Close quatre grappling i.e wrestling is good for strength building and technique.

We need to learn the use of guns aswell nowdays, i think this is important.

Learning to use guns should be regarded as important in todays age i believe.

Although there are better weapons than guns available today , guns are very useful and are probably most used in warefare.

Just like the long bow was extensively used in warefare because of the advantage it has of striking a man down from a long distance. THis is a good advantage a Gun has also.

For this reason it is my opinion that learning how to use firearms is a must.

Wjkk Wjkf Jeo,

Although I am not capable yet of answering this question but I can point one thing, we are not supposed to be warrior saints, its saint warrior instead. This difference might sound subtle, but makes all the difference imho. Crave to be a saint first, once we have become one, Guruji will answer automatically and tell us what to do in order to be a warrior. Please, Bani comes first. Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj were an ocean of peace, the waves of warriorhood at on top, and temporary ones at that. Let's all fill our little ponds with nectar of the bani first, then we can think of ways to get our waves splashing when we are forced to go that far.

Sorry if i have said anything wrong

Fateh Jeo.

Veer thank you for your reply. Just a few questions. Does saint carry a greater weight then the warrior aspect? if so can you explain why.

I would have thought that they both bare equally as much importance, being disciplined in combat develops a person physically and somewhat mentally. I find it hard to believe that if the need be tomorrow to protect humanity from trinity that we will automatically be combat ready.

Can you not develop both elements at the same time, dont they go hand in hand.

Just because your combat ready doesnt mean your going to abuse your skills. Better to have it in your skill set then not have it at all.

Can someone please shed more light on this issue, how was it done 300+ years ago.

Warriors must be trained in the best weapons of the age they live in.

In the Gurus time the best weapons were long bow, swords, muskets ect

Shastar vidya is important to learn. Arts of hand to hand combat and combat with weaponary should be mastered.

Close quatre grappling i.e wrestling is good for strength building and technique.

We need to learn the use of guns aswell nowdays, i think this is important.

Learning to use guns should be regarded as important in todays age i believe.

Although there are better weapons than guns available today , guns are very useful and are probably most used in warefare.

Just like the long bow was extensively used in warefare because of the advantage it has of striking a man down from a long distance. THis is a good advantage a Gun has also.

For this reason it is my opinion that learning how to use firearms is a must.

I agree, i have to ask where did it go wrong ? why don't we develop these skill sets and why is it seen in a negative manor ?.

Do we as sikh see the whole warrior aspect as extremist aspect of sikhi ? (In light of khalistan movement ?)

Baba Budha jee is GOD of SHASTAR VIDYA. Even Mahakaal jee takes advice of Baba Budha Jee. I hope Baba Budha jee Maharaaaj does kirpa on the sikh youth and give them bit of shastar vidya. Nidar Singh will RUN AWAY in front of an Akaali who has got BIT of shastar vidya from Baba Budha Jee Maharaaj.

Baba Budha jee is GOD of SHASTAR VIDYA. Even Mahakaal jee takes advice of Baba Budha Jee. I hope Baba Budha jee Maharaaaj does kirpa on the sikh youth and give them bit of shastar vidya. Nidar Singh will RUN AWAY in front of an Akaali who has got BIT of shastar vidya from Baba Budha Jee Maharaaj.

But in todays climate dont we need more then Shastar Vidya, has the art of combat within sikhi not developed over the years. Are we still relying on Shastar Vidya to protect and serve ?.

Also Veer ji can you give us some insight how you think learning Shastar Vidya has helped you develop as a " Saint Warrior " (Assumming you are learning Shastar Vidya).