What Makes You A Warrior ?

TruSoul

Someone with the integrity to do what is right (truth / dharam), the strength to make their presence known and a strategic mindset to think on their feet and act without fear of physical harm.

Knowing how to fight is one thing, being able to use it to protect yourself and others is another. Allot of people in their ego use their fighting ability (or false sense of warrior spirit) to intimidate or threaten others, true warriors avoid conflict and only fight when there is no other option. In Sikhi philosopy, first comes Shaastar (knowledge and bachan), and if that fails Shastar (weapons) are drawn.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone with the integrity to do what is right (truth / dharam), the strength to make their presence known and a strategic mindset to think on their feet and act without fear of physical harm.

Knowing how to fight is one thing, being able to use it to protect yourself and others is another. Allot of people in their ego use their fighting ability (or false sense of warrior spirit) to intimidate or threaten others, true warriors avoid conflict and only fight when there is no other option. In Sikhi philosopy, first comes Shaastar (knowledge and bachan), and if that fails Shastar (weapons) are drawn.

I only know about dandaaa. I dont know about shaastraaa, lol, jokes, hahahahahaha

Look at onesself first,

this is not a world of jedi masters,

if you are skin and bones, or adipose hither and tither,

then form whence will the Warrior Spirit Rise?

Without disciplined exercise, right nutrition, and daily meditative practice, weakness and doubt settle in, the mind is weakened, and the body withers away...

Let's ask the only one who really knows:

ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋ ਸੂਰਾ ਵਰੀਆਮੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਦੁਸਟੁ ਅਹੰਕਰਣੁ ਮਾਰਿਆ ॥

Nānak so sūrā //ī▫ām jin vicẖahu ḏusat ahankaraṇ māri▫ā.

O Nanak, he is a brave warrior, who conquers and subdues his vicious inner ego.

-Ang 86

ਜੋ ਹਰਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਆਪਣਾ ॥ ਤਿਨਹਿ ਗੁਸਾਈ ਜਾਪਣਾ ॥ ਸੋ ਸੂਰਾ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ਸੋ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਜਿਸ ਦੈ ਭਾਗੁ ਜੀਉ ॥੫॥

Jo har kīṯā āpṇā. Ŧinėh gusā▫ī jāpṇā. So sūrā parḏẖān so masṯak jis ḏai bẖāg jī▫o. ||5||

Whom the Lord has made His Own. he alone meditates on the Lord of the World. He alone is a warrior, and he alone is the chosen one, upon whose forehead good destiny is recorded. ||5||

-Ang 132

ਬੀਰਾ ਆਪਨ ਬੁਰਾ ਮਿਟਾਵੈ ॥

Bīrā āpan burā mitāvai.

One who eradicates his own evil is a brave warrior;

ਤਾਹੂ ਬੁਰਾ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਨਹੀ ਆਵੈ ॥

Ŧāhū burā nikat nahī āvai.

no evil even approaches him.

-Ang 258

ਮਰਣੁ ਮੁਣਸਾ ਸੂਰਿਆ ਹਕੁ ਹੈ ਜੋ ਹੋਇ ਮਰਨਿ ਪਰਵਾਣੋ ॥

Maraṇ muṇsā sūri▫ā hak hai jo ho▫e maran parvāṇo.

The death of brave heroes is blessed, if it is approved by God.

ਸੂਰੇ ਸੇਈ ਆਗੈ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਸਾਚੀ ਮਾਣੋ ॥

Sūre se▫ī āgai ākẖī▫ahi ḏargėh pāvahi sācẖī māṇo.

They alone are acclaimed as brave warriors in the world hereafter, who receive true honor in the Court of the Lord.

-Ang 579-580

ਜਾ ਕਉ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗੁ ਲਾਗੋ ਇਸੁ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਸੋ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਹੈ ਸੂਰਾ ॥

Jā ka▫o har rang lāgo is jug mėh so kahī▫aṯ hai sūrā.

He alone is called a warrior, who is attached to the Lord's Love in this age.

ਆਤਮ ਜਿਣੈ ਸਗਲ ਵਸਿ ਤਾ ਕੈ ਜਾ ਕਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪੂਰਾ ॥੧॥

Āṯam jiṇai sagal vas ṯā kai jā kā saṯgur pūrā. ||1||

Through the Perfect True Guru, he conquers his own soul, and then everything comes under his control. ||1||

-Ang 679

ਜਿਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਸੇਈ ਤਰੇ ਸੇ ਸੂਰੇ ਸੇ ਬੀਰ ॥

Jin jāni▫ā se▫ī ṯare se sūre se bīr.

Those who know Him, cross over; they are the brave heroes, the heroic warriors.

-Ang 929

ਜੋ ਸੂਰਾ ਤਿਸ ਹੀ ਹੋਇ ਮਰਣਾ ॥

Jo sūrā ṯis hī ho▫e marṇā.

He alone is a warrior hero, who remains dead to the world.

-Ang 1019

ਸੋਈ ਚਤੁਰੁ ਸਿਆਣਾ ਪੰਡਿਤੁ ਸੋ ਸੂਰਾ ਸੋ ਦਾਨਾਂ ॥

So▫ī cẖaṯur si▫āṇā pandiṯ so sūrā so ḏānāʼn.

He alone is clever and wise and a religious scholar, he alone is a brave warrior, and he alone is intelligent,

ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪਿਓ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੋ ਪਰਵਾਨਾ ॥੨॥੬੭॥੯੦॥

Sāḏẖsang jin har har japi▫o Nānak so parvānā. ||2||67||90||

who chants the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy. O Nanak, he alone is approved. ||2||67||90||

-Ang 1221

ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੂਰ ਹੈ ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਮਾਰਿਆ ॥

Gurmaṯī sabaḏ sūr hai kām kroḏẖ jinĥī māri▫ā.

Those who follow the Guru's Teachings are the true spiritual warriors; they have conquered sexual desire and anger.

ਸਚੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਮਹਲਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਵਾਰਿਆ ॥

Sacẖai anḏar mahal sabaḏ savāri▫ā.

They enter into the True Mansion of the Lord's Presence, embellished and exalted by the Word of the Shabad.

-Ang 1280

Mastering the four schools of Yoga makes the true warrior.

What is Yoga?

ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਬੇਦ ਬਖਾਨੇ ॥

Simriṯ sāsaṯ beḏ bakẖāne.

The merits of reciting the Simritees, the Shaastras and the Vedas,

ਜੋਗ ਗਿਆਨ ਸਿਧ ਸੁਖ ਜਾਨੇ ॥

Jog gi▫ān siḏẖ sukẖ jāne.

knowledge of the science of Yoga, spiritual wisdom and the pleasure of miraculous spiritual powers -

ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਤ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਿਉ ਮਨ ਮਾਨੇ ॥੩॥

Nām japaṯ parabẖ si▫o man māne. ||3||

these come by surrendering the mind and meditating on the Name of God. ||3||

Pjs I disagree strongly with your post, although your Muchaa are amazing. I believe it is not Saint first then Warrior, nor is it Warrior first then Saint, it is absolutely totally 50/50 in everyway. A real Gursikh is equal parts saint/warrior warrior/saint.

As for training, I believe a reasonable level of fitness and strength must be reached and maintained and that you are familiar with modern modes of combat, and never being afraid to use them. The rest of your shakti and ability in warfare comes from Simran and Gurbani and bellowing mighty Jakaras. Cool post by Singhstah as well.

:goodpost:

Pjs I disagree strongly with your post, although your Muchaa are amazing. I believe it is not Saint first then Warrior, nor is it Warrior first then Saint, it is absolutely totally 50/50 in everyway. A real Gursikh is equal parts saint/warrior warrior/saint.

As for training, I believe a reasonable level of fitness and strength must be reached and maintained and that you are familiar with modern modes of combat, and never being afraid to use them. The rest of your shakti and ability in warfare comes from Simran and Gurbani and bellowing mighty Jakaras. Cool post by Singhstah as well.

Wjkk Wjkf Jeo

You have every right to disagree with me veer jeo :) Whichever way you want to look at it, let us all try to be better Gursikhs, so that all the Gurujis can be proud of us, saying anything beyond that is not under my capacity.

Fateh jeo!

We all know that we are supposed to be warrior saints. Think we have the saint part covered in depth. What about the warrior side, what makes you a warrior ?

What does a modern warrior have to train in, arts to learn ?

I cant find anything any where to illustrate what is a modern Sikh warrior, okay i know some are going to have kittens over the " modern " part. But think about it alot has changed from the days of our Guru ji's we cant just swing swords in todays combat.

Wjkk Wjkf Jeo,

Although I am not capable yet of answering this question but I can point one thing, we are not supposed to be warrior saints, its saint warrior instead. This difference might sound subtle, but makes all the difference imho. Crave to be a saint first, once we have become one, Guruji will answer automatically and tell us what to do in order to be a warrior. Please, Bani comes first. Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj were an ocean of peace, the waves of warriorhood at on top, and temporary ones at that. Let's all fill our little ponds with nectar of the bani first, then we can think of ways to get our waves splashing when we are forced to go that far.

Sorry if i have said anything wrong

Fateh Jeo.

Veer thank you for your reply. Just a few questions. Does saint carry a greater weight then the warrior aspect? if so can you explain why.

I would have thought that they both bare equally as much importance, being disciplined in combat develops a person physically and somewhat mentally. I find it hard to believe that if the need be tomorrow to protect humanity from trinity that we will automatically be combat ready.

Can you not develop both elements at the same time, dont they go hand in hand.

Just because your combat ready doesnt mean your going to abuse your skills. Better to have it in your skill set then not have it at all.

Can someone please shed more light on this issue, how was it done 300+ years ago.

Warriors must be trained in the best weapons of the age they live in.

In the Gurus time the best weapons were long bow, swords, muskets ect

Shastar vidya is important to learn. Arts of hand to hand combat and combat with weaponary should be mastered.

Close quatre grappling i.e wrestling is good for strength building and technique.

We need to learn the use of guns aswell nowdays, i think this is important.

Learning to use guns should be regarded as important in todays age i believe.

Although there are better weapons than guns available today , guns are very useful and are probably most used in warefare.

Just like the long bow was extensively used in warefare because of the advantage it has of striking a man down from a long distance. THis is a good advantage a Gun has also.

For this reason it is my opinion that learning how to use firearms is a must.

I agree, i have to ask where did it go wrong ? why don't we develop these skill sets and why is it seen in a negative manor ?.

Do we as sikh see the whole warrior aspect as extremist aspect of sikhi ? (In light of khalistan movement ?)

Wjkk Wjkf Jeo,

I did not mean to imply one carries more weight than the other, but.. ah, what can i possibly comment? Gurbani is the supreme authority so I would suggest we all read Singhstah's post where he has quoted beautiful tukks from the Gurbani, that should answer our questions!

Fateh!

Vahguru ji ka Khalsa

Vahguru ji ki Fateh

Singho it is important to exercise both aspects of sikhi equally, the sant and the siphae. Saying only concentrate on bhagti because being a warrior is no longer important in today's world and age. That siphae is not useless, and is fighting a jang, is fighting war even right now. That siphae discipline not only keeps you conditioned and tyar bar tyar, it provides that discipline needed to fight the war of the mind; the war of kaam, ,krodh, lobh, moh , ahuankar, jhoot, nindiya. Singhs in purataan times and even some now exemplify the unity of the sant sipaee by doing proper shaster vidya pentra while doing jaap sahib. The adh chand so many adorn now a days on their dastars, its not their to look cool, it shows the unity of the sant and siphae. Durring war singhs would have a tegha in one hand and a mala in the other doing akaal puraks jaap... singho dont seperate something that is suppose to come together as one.

When you are recognised by others as having achieved arduously and acknowledged that through your humbleness of the glory that it brings, then you have probably used the essence of warriorhood, gifted as your birthright from Dasmesh Pita.

I doubt that many people who have personal experiences that justify the answer to the question of their warriorhood, will not readily divulge a black and white answer. Such self proclaimant fools the ego if accepted and hurts the spirit if doubted by others.