Facebook

akal sahai

We have weekly simran programs here in TO, some sangat dont know about it.. this week I had at least 4-5 that came upto me saying we found out about this because of facebook, we will come every week.

Facebook has its advantages/disadvantages.

The real question is not if its a waste of time, but can YOU manage your time? The same goes for forums, surfing the net, etx..

I think its a waste of time, why? Because half the time you waste your time looking at other people's profiles and their photos and then commenting on their photos or wall with your one liner haha hehe, and the other half the time you waste your time looking at photos you've been tagged in and check out what people wrote on your photo or wall. Its voyeuristic, superficial, and its only for those who want to feel a sense of belonging in the world, people have hundreds of "friends" but more than half of them they don't even see or talk to and some you may not even know haha.. its sad if you feel good about having hundreds of friends but yet only a few in the REAL WORLD.

At the end of the day if you're SERIOUS about your sikhi then you don't need to feel a sense of belonging in the world, you only need to feel a sense of belonging in the presence of saadh sangat and guru sahib, once you feel like the only thing you need to belong to is maharaj, you're doing good.

You're not gonna become a gurmukh by checking facebook 2-3 times a day, which is what it turns into after a while. And instead of getting addicted to naam you get addicted to a site which becomes your life. I'm not hating but its just some things I noticed while my time lasted on that site. On top of that is the stupid teenage giggling when talking about some silly games or pranks or jokes or gossip on someone's picture or an inside joke. Bottom line, its a "social networking site" and if you're serious about your sikhi you shouldn't waste your time on it, rather read a book, learn a instrument or start a sehaj paath. As far as events go, Im SURE you will hear about an event or find out from one of your mates.

Anything and everyhting is a waste of time if you let it.

Take Sikhsangat forums for example: you have stuff like "off topic thread" and "lets cuss other members" topics to waste your time too

So in effect nothing is a waste of time until u become a waster urself

:3singh3:

In fact, even having girl friend or boy friend can easily NOT be a waste of time ;) But most people here are not mature enough to understand that :D

hmm....its true tht facebook is time wasting machine ....if u have nothing to do jump on it nd time just fly away ....nd some ppl got adicted to it...

on the other hand i got some very gud ppl around the world because i want to know about how sikhs live around the world so now i got some info about whats going on on the other part of globe ..like its very hard for sikhs in france to go to work nd school with turbans n keski...which i know today...

so choice is urs sangat ji ..if u think its time wasting then dont go there....

The real question is not if its a waste of time, but can YOU manage your time? The same goes for forums, surfing the net, etx..

Very well said.

These things are only a waste of time if you make them a waste of time, in my opinion. If there's something better you could be doing - then really, why aren't you?