• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the suggestions, please keep them coming

we are having alot of positive emails

we want this channel to be the sangats, so more the input the better

Here are a few suggestions-;

1. A website or a blog would be very useful. A place where you could place latest info on how the project is progressing as well as some kind of meter (like the sikhnet site) which can show how much money is needed and how much has been collected. An estimate of the running costs should also be provided. After the project is on a surer footing a short video about the project on the website or blog would also be good.

2. I think you should also consider getting volunteer representatives in most UK cities who could disseminate information in their communities. These volunteers can also gauge the level of support for the project as well as give a good idea of how much donations might be forthcoming once it reaches that point. I am sure a call for volunteers from the youth would meet a good response given that they are more aware of how we lack in these kind of media resources as compared to other communities.

3. On the donation side I like the way Punjab radio started, through making memberships rather than just donations. In that way the donations can be recurring and these donors have a sense of having ownership of the channel. As for Gurdwaras some are very forward looking and will give donations but others are not so forthcoming and more like the pardhan's property rather than the Sangats! The volunteer representatives should be able to let you know which category their local Gurdwara comes into.

4. A good idea would be to have the station broadcast on the net when it starts so that Sikhs outside UK can see some of the programmes and with that if the quality of programming is good then there will definitely be support from these Sikhs for the channel to go global.

5. As suggested by other members, "The Sikh Channel" as the name of the channel is a very good idea, Simple and straightforward.

Let me know if you require any addition sewa, I know a few people as well as myself who would be able to donate to the channel once they are aware of how the project will be planned and how it is to proceed.

Overview of suggestions till date:

1) Catchy name for the channel

* Gurmat TV

* Satnaam TV

* SBN (Sikh Broadcasting Network)

* SBC (Sikh Broadcasting Channel)

* GSC (Global Sikh Channel)

* IKB (International Khalsa Broadcasts)

* Khalsa World Television

* The Sikh Channel

* Sikhi TV

* Guru Nanak TV

2) What type of programming you would like to see

*Historical documentaries on Sikhs on there. Objective ones or pro-Sikh ones, not the coconut rubbish they teach us in school, or the Hindu/Muslim junk that some nutjobs try to brainwash us with.

* Rare footage (especially of Sikh history), etc

*Sikh News Show, which is BASED OUTSIDE OF INDIA. they can give a fair and informative view on world issues and anything affecting Sikhi. They can also report on things that happen in India that the Indian govt is keen to hush up. Yhey could also have journalists around the globe, kind of like other news shows do. If they do their job well, it will also attract non-sikhs who just want informative and objective news to the channel. British Sikh news correspondents would be helpful, like within each area of the UK you'll have journalists who can give up to date information of any stories or incidents concerning Sikhs rather than relying on google news or other 3rd party outlets for news.

* Live shows from programmes (raeensbaees, etc) and daily broadcast from Harmandar Sahib (morning and evening)

* Youth programs where they get to host the show.

* Documentaries created by Sikh youth, on various Sikh topics/issues etc etc.

* Debate program similar in concept to the old BBC 2 Asian debate programs. But Sikhi based.

* Nagar Kirtan videos

* Diwans by Sant Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale

* Kirtan videos promoting high standard Gurmat Sangeet Keertan.

* Sikh Movies (Punjabi feature films like Nanak Naam Jahaz Hai etc, Animation movies for children like The rise of Khalsa etc, and documentaries like Mangal Singh Dhillon's Khalsa etc)

* Special programs depending the occasion (like 300 years Gurpurb, etc)

* Kathas, e.g. katha by Gyani Thakur Singh Ji daily (from the complete katha of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji cd ), Sant Maskeen Ji Kathas, etc.

* Quiz show about Sikhi (History and Gurmat)

* Sikh Perspectives - a show which examines the latest issues from a Sikh perspective, such as Gaza, Credit Crunch, Iraq War etc

* Sikh Issues - examining issues around the world which affects Sikhs such as Turban ban, Ethnic profiling, Situation in India etc

* Sikh Lives - video diary type programme, ask Sikhs worldwide to send in videos of how the place where they live affects how they can practise their Sikhi.

* Sikh Achievers - showcasing a Sikh who has made a major achievement in some field.

* This day in Sikh history - a look at the day in Sikh history.

* Documentaries with Sakhis and other REALLY inspirational stuff (like Vasu Bharadwaj's statements etc)

* Live shows to discuss matters with sangat via phone calls.

* Notifications of all upcoming samagams around the world.

* English speeches about what Sikhism is, the vast majority of Sikhs in the west are sahajdhari/monay (about 70-80%). These are the people that need to be targetted with why Sikhism is important in their lives. Need to have English speakers giving presentations and documentaries.

3) What you would not like to see

*Bhangra.

*Stuff related to PUNJABI Culture and not to Sikhi (Lohri, etc)

*Jatha bashing

4) Any general suggestions

*A website or a blog would be very useful. A place where you could place latest info on how the project is progressing as well as some kind of meter (like the sikhnet site) which can show how much money is needed and how much has been collected. An estimate of the running costs should also be provided. After the project is on a surer footing a short video about the project on the website or blog would also be good.

*On the donation side I like the way Punjab radio started, through making memberships rather than just donations. In that way the donations can be recurring and these donors have a sense of having ownership of the channel. As for Gurdwaras some are very forward looking and will give donations but others are not so forthcoming and more like the pardhan's property rather than the Sangats! The volunteer representatives should be able to let you know which category their local Gurdwara comes into.

*A good idea would be to have the station broadcast on the net when it starts so that Sikhs outside UK can see some of the programmes and with that if the quality of programming is good then there will definitely be support from these Sikhs for the channel to go global.

It would be Sky Satellite

Thats excellent.. I hope it would not be like Alpha ETC (Zee TV). Firstly its owned by Zee so all you get is "ADVERTISEMENT OF WHAT IS ON ZEE TV AND ZEE CINEMA" more than quality programmes. No offence to the channel they do a great job. to bring daily Gurbani from THE Harmandar Sahib. The only problem being it's not enough, e.g Gyan da Sagar they telecast it for only 18 to 20 mins....?? we want to listen to Kirtan, excuse me for what I am about to say, but we do not want repeated Kirtan. i.e. Same Shabad, by the same artist. ?? and one has to pay (not that I mind, they need finance) and not available to all, e.g Virgin Media, Telewest etc.

I hope I have not offended anyone. That's my point of view. But of course we don't mind it (the new channel) if it is paid.

Oh one more thing...I hope you don't mind me advertising / sharing the news on facebook unless you are already doing so in which case please give me the ID. :D

About time :) Hindus have 2 channels already the channel punjab was run by RSS

1) Gurmat TV

2) Rare footage (especially of Sikh history)

3) Bhangra, gossip

4) Gurbani Santhiya

Channel Punjab was not run by RSS, if so please provide evidence or a thorough report/investigation.

:lol: