Bowing Down To Touch Your Elders Feet?

jii

I have a question that I want further information about; is there a quote from Guru Granth Sahab which states one must not touch the feet of others and that one must not bow down to anyone but Guru Granth Sahab? If so, can someone forward it.

I am confused with this as I believe some people mis-interpret the quote, as by bowing down to elders is not the same as bowing down to Guru Granth Sahab; as one is not worshipping them but simply greeting them out of respect. For instance the Chinese usually put there hands together and bow to greet someone else, but it does not mean they are worshipping them as their God.

People who come down from India do this all the time as it has become quite a custom in India to do this, but I do not find this to be offensive.

I like to find out others views on this, and whether you think its right or wrong.

The only quote you will find is one that says it is a great act to do dandaut to a Sant.

Touching the feet of elders or a Gurdev (Sansaari Vidya Guru) is puratan Indian tradition that all Mahapurkh practice and have practiced.

This is one of the reaons that ll society (esp Punjabi) is degrading - because there is no material concept of respect anymore - it is just a word. This is why households cannot remain together, let alone extended family.

I agree with fatehe - its just a form of expression. Some people do it and some people don't. We shouldn't force people to do it or force people not to do it. How they express themselves is between them and the other person.

If ever you see someone commiting a kind act, or someone getting great Bliss from meditation

and if you recognize one as a poor person, and one as a Saint

and within you rises ego, or haumai and jealousy

Then kneel down and wipe the dust of their feet, humble yourself so that your mind does not get the best of you.

All other reasons of touching feet are false, except that to Slice with a Dagger the thoughts of your mind, that will keep you disconnected from the Lord.

I have a question that I want further information about; is there a quote from Guru Granth Sahab which states one must not touch the feet of others and that one must not bow down to anyone but Guru Granth Sahab? If so, can someone forward it.

I am confused with this as I believe some people mis-interpret the quote, as by bowing down to elders is not the same as bowing down to Guru Granth Sahab; as one is not worshipping them but simply greeting them out of respect. For instance the Chinese usually put there hands together and bow to greet someone else, but it does not mean they are worshipping them as their God.

People who come down from India do this all the time as it has become quite a custom in India to do this, but I do not find this to be offensive.

I like to find out others views on this, and whether you think its right or wrong.

I personally would NEVER touch the feet of anyone other than Satguru jee. Having said, touching the feet of a saintly elder person is not a kurehit. But we need to understand thatt the 5 thieves doing die with age. There are some really bady elderly people in thtis world. Some elderly are even more lusty than teenagers. I had an elderly professor who broke all records of lust. Such elderly people are asking for a gandaassaa to be honest.

there are a lot of people on this site who lack knowledge of Sikhism...........

GuruNanak DevJi states in Gurbani:-

Soohee, Fifth Mehl, Gunvantee ~ The Worthy And Virtuous Bride:

jo deesai gursikh-rhaa tis niv niv laaga-o paa-ay jee-o.

When I see a Sikh of the Guru, I humbly bow and fall at his feet.

aakhaa birthaa jee-a kee gur sajan deh milaa-ay jee-o.

I tell to him the pain of my soul, and beg him to unite me with the Guru, my Best Friend.

so-ee das updaysrhaa mayraa man anat na kaahoo jaa-ay jee-o.

I ask that he impart to me such an understanding, that my mind will not go out wandering anywhere else.

ih man tai kooN dayvsaa mai maarag dayh bataa-ay jee-o.

I dedicate this mind to you. Please, show me the Path to God.

ha-o aa-i-aa Dhoorahu chal kai mai takee ta-o sarnaa-ay jee-o.

I have come so far, seeking the Protection of Your Sanctuary.

ANG 763