Bowing Down To Touch Your Elders Feet?

jii

i used to be very katad thinker not practical though and i stopped bowing down to elders or elder relatives. but that was stupid thing, one day i saw a very gurmukh singh bowing down to his elders and this accident broke my maha ahankar. there is nothing bad showing respect to elder by bowing down and touching their feet and taking their blessing.

there is always a big difference in our mind while bowing toward elders and Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It shud be in our mind that with which intension are we bowing.

dnt get into too much advise. all these kinda topics, not really the topics but the too many opposite replies makes me mad. untill we r katad very strict we cannot get anything.

first our jeevan shud be nirmal then we shud try to apply those high rules on ourself. and once u r nirmal u dnt need to be strict and worry abt these little things. but this thing is ok for limited things. doesnt means eat meat and but keep jeevan nirmal. the thing we r taking abt is love respect and spreading joy to everyone. i dnt knw what i am saying now.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

It's a good thing. The only Hukamnama regarding a similar issue states that no individual should be bowed down in front of in the presence of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

In the Vaaran of Bhai Gurdaas, there is a Shabad called Kal Taaran Guru Nanak Aayaa. In it is the following verse:

raanaa ra(n)k baraabaree pairee pavanaa jag varathaaeiaa||

Equating the poor with the prince, he spread the etiquette of humbly touching the feet.

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=5563

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

This question was put to Taksali Kathakar Balbir Singh, he said that If you bow onli before Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj then Maharaj will not strike you down for going home and touching your parents feet. The idea of bowing means that you are a owned by a master, however by touching an elders feet you are simply recognising that after all they are in some way superior to you being your father, mother, grandparent etc. You should respect all the relationships given to you by Maharaj.

Personally it is completely up to you, some people to matha tek in front of Guru Sahibs paintings others in the door ways to Gurudwara's or Sachkand. It comes down to the level of respect you have at the end of the day none can equate to Maharaj. I agree with the last post you shouldnt in anyway do beadbi to Maharaj by showing respect for someone else in this case you can say Fateh.

Bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

This question was put to Taksali Kathakar Balbir Singh, he said that If you bow onli before Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj then Maharaj will not strike you down for going home and touching your parents feet. The idea of bowing means that you are a owned by a master, however by touching an elders feet you are simply recognising that after all they are in some way superior to you being your father, mother, grandparent etc. You should respect all the relationships given to you by Maharaj.

Personally it is completely up to you, some people to matha tek in front of Guru Sahibs paintings others in the door ways to Gurudwara's or Sachkand. It comes down to the level of respect you have at the end of the day none can equate to Maharaj. I agree with the last post you shouldnt in anyway do beadbi to Maharaj by showing respect for someone else in this case you can say Fateh.

Bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Bhai Balbir singh is, i repeat, A LEGEND

anyone ever gets the chance listen to his katha

www.gurmatveechar.com go to katha and bhai balbir singh jee

i used to be very katad thinker not practical though and i stopped bowing down to elders or elder relatives. but that was stupid thing, one day i saw a very gurmukh singh bowing down to his elders and this accident broke my maha ahankar. there is nothing bad showing respect to elder by bowing down and touching their feet and taking their blessing.

there is always a big difference in our mind while bowing toward elders and Sri Guru Granth Sahib. It shud be in our mind that with which intension are we bowing.

dnt get into too much advise. all these kinda topics, not really the topics but the too many opposite replies makes me mad. untill we r katad very strict we cannot get anything.

first our jeevan shud be nirmal then we shud try to apply those high rules on ourself. and once u r nirmal u dnt need to be strict and worry abt these little things. but this thing is ok for limited things. doesnt means eat meat and but keep jeevan nirmal. the thing we r taking abt is love respect and spreading joy to everyone. i dnt knw what i am saying now.

all must read this :) very nice sunny ...

sada jeevan is nothing but gallaan is sooo big like a bramgyani :S

One of the biggest reasons I am against touching the feet of elderly sikh men is because by doing so, we are admitting that these elderly men are somehow more wise and spiritual than the youth. During the sikh freedom struggle in the 80's, many of these "saintly elders" got the sikh youth killed(and got their sons and families settlted in the west). Even at present, all the mess in our gurdwaras and the dirty politics happening is the work of the "saintly elders".

Youth of Gurdwara Sukh Sagar in Vancouver shud be the role model for the sikh youth.

I think istead of touching the feet of elders, we need to learn to respect the old age of elders.

Touching the feet of an elder in a prettty easy thing, but how many of the presentt youth are ready to take care of their own elderly parents(forget about other elders) ????????????

How many of the present "singhnis" are ready to take care of their bazurg parents in law ???????????????????

There are some really spiritual old nihang singhs in chaunnis. HOw many of the presentt day "charrdikala youth" is ready to take the responsibility of taking care of ONE such elderly nihang ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Fateh Ji,

Its a cultural thing.

But I have one request.... when you are in Guru Ghar please do not bow down (jhuko) to touch anyone's feet.

I made this observation to a relative and he said that in that case as God is everywhere then we should not give pairi ponna (bow to touch feet) anywhere.

I pointed out to him that Guru Ghar is halod gorund and that is why we remove our shoes and go inside. Going by his sentiment then we should not be wearing shoes anywhere.

Guru Rakha