Sins

Guest Amarpreet Singh

Guest Amarpreet Singh

Greetings

I am an 18 yr old Sikh. I have not been a religious person; however, I have attended Gurdwara, Sikh camps, etc, because of my parents desire. I have come to a point in my life where I realize the importance of following Guru's guidance.

I do have one question about sins. I have committed sins in my past and am trying now to stop and control myself and my behavior. I know in Christianity, one prays for forgiveness. Is this the same in Sikhism?

Thank you for responding to my question,

Amarpreet Singh

Greetings

I am an 18 yr old Sikh. I have not been a religious person; however, I have attended Gurdwara, Sikh camps, etc, because of my parents desire. I have come to a point in my life where I realize the importance of following Guru's guidance.

I do have one question about sins. I have committed sins in my past and am trying now to stop and control myself and my behavior. I know in Christianity, one prays for forgiveness. Is this the same in Sikhism?

Amarpreet Singh

In Sikhism, we do an 'Ardaas' for Maafi, Waheguru (God) is forgiving, you shall be forgived, if you really are sorry for those sins. Good to see you have realised how great Waheguru is!

:WW:

Greetings

Amarpreet Singh

You need not worry about what you have done, instead focus on what you are going to do. What is done is done, you cannot go back in time and correct your mistakes, but you can change the actions you are going to take.

Be more aware of what you are doing and why you are doing it, have patience before you take an action. Ask yourself is this actions going to benefit me Spiritually? Is this going to bring me closer to God or take me further away from God? Be conscious of your actions and thoughts. Instill your mind with Love of God, if you don't feel it in your heart then beg for it. Be humble in your dealings with others even those who you dislike.

If possible, ask for forgiveness from those you might have hurt, intentionally or unintentionally and most importantly forgive yourself. Guilt has its purpose to motivate you, but when this guilt becomes a hindrance in your progress, it has overstayed its welcome.

Learn the power of discrimination between right and wrong and use it wisely. Understand what actions will lead you towards Humility and Love of God.

We all stumble on the rocks in our path, they are there to show us the importance of the path we choose to travel, without these rocks we would have learned nothing in our lives. Each rock we trip over has a lesson to teach us, instead of cursing or feeling guilty, be thankful towards the rock for giving you an invaluable lesson in this life and continue to move forward.

“The first step in a person's salvation is knowledge of their sin.”

“The first step toward finding God, Who is Truth, is to discover the truth about myself and if I have been in error, this first step to truth is the discovery of my error.”

“The first step to improvement, whether mental, moral, or religious, is to know ourselves - our weakness,errors, deficiencies, and sins, that, by divine grace, we may overcome and turn from them all”

dhan dhan guru ji de gurmukh piyaare..

now that you hace realised this importence, you can look at it like you have found the diva the jot inside, but you need to have it turned on.. god does that. how? by us askin. this is why we have bani to do the ardaas of... i.e..... kar kirpa har naam devaayo. and lotsa other tuks (lines) in guru maharaj.

sins are like the blackness. the sin has been earned by yourself. it is going to be written, just as any good thing is going to be written. the good and bad things you do/earn, get written and resonate in 'heaven' (dharam hadoor'). it dont matter how close(small) or how far (big) these earnings are. (if u aint figaed out that this is int jupji sahib salok by now, thel im telling u now... so u have.. :) )

when u do a sin, you have earned some punishment.. ( now, to me, each punishment you get for the respective sin you have earned in your life is like 3 or 5 times more than one i.e. me, would expect.!! and that kinda takes the pee!)

we have all made mistakes.. and what ppl nornally think is that they get rubbed out by doing a good thing.. the thing is, they dont (it kinda does but lemi xplain). that earning is there.. it will get reduced as you do the good earnings....

lets look at it in pecentages..

you earn 100 units of paap. sin. you do no naam/seva (keertan +more) you will reap the full 100 units.. just cus you have come to a realisation that >>oh my god look at the crapness i gave out<< that doesnt abolish your sins at all.. that is just the gur prasaad from god that has let you realise that >oh my god i gota do summin bout this cus i dont want this crapness to come back to me in a later life/down the line< .

so you start to do naam simran/ sewa and things. the vibe (GOD) then says, hmm. this dude is dam sorry! lets make the 100 units to 90 units... then u do more naam /sewa and the he goes ok,.... down to 85 then 70 then 30 the 20.

when the 100 units get to 10 units, then god stops. sant mahapursh say that you will always have to pay for 10 units/% of your (bad) earnings. so insted of goin jail for 15 years, you wud get 6months community service.

the gurmukh says thank god for this massive reduction in paap that i have to pay for.

the <banned word filter activated> (mugadh = <banned word filter activated> in gurbani) /munmukh says >stupid god, how can he giv me 6 months.. and he dont realise the massiveness of the reduction..

N.B. THIS IS ONLY FOR SINFUL EARNINGS

there is another thing for good earnings.. but i dont wana go off topic and such things..

so we do naam cus >>naam ne subh kuch banaia. subh sristi naam de oopar khari hai.<< understand this, then alota things will become clear..

basickly for a good karam, you will always get the 100 units. but aaisa parmesar hai, ke .. he gives you more goodness on top of that 100 units! pretty damn cushy innit!!

but there is another thing...

all the good and bad things, tis called a persons >laikha<.

there is a way that you can have your laikha riped.!

how badass do u think that wud be? to start a fresh?? mahapursh can do that. guru can do that. god does that.

but only when god feels like it..

so , as we skin our knees, he sits up there chillaxin!!! y? cus this is all his game. >aapana khael, aap karanehaar<.

soz for the long read..

gurfateh ji.

hum rulte firte

Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Gauree on Ang 205

gauVI mhlw 5 ]

gourree mehalaa 5 ||

Gauree, Fifth Mehla:

rwKu ipqw pRB myry ]

raakh pithaa prabh maerae ||

Save me, O My Father God.

moih inrgunu sB gun qyry ]1] rhwau ]

mohi niragun sabh gun thaerae ||1|| rehaao ||

I am worthless and without virtue; all virtues are Yours. ||1||Pause||

pMc ibKwdI eyku grIbw rwKhu rwKnhwry ]

pa(n)ch bikhaadhee eaek gareebaa raakhahu raakhanehaarae ||

The five vicious thieves are assaulting my poor being; save me, O Savior Lord!

Kydu krih Aru bhuqu sMqwvih AwieE srin quhwry ]1]

khaedh karehi ar bahuth sa(n)thaavehi aaeiou saran thuhaarae ||1||

They are tormenting and torturing me. I have come, seeking Your Sanctuary. ||1||

kir kir hwirE Aink bhu BwqI Cofih kqhUM nwhI ]

kar kar haariou anik bahu bhaathee shhoddehi kathehoo(n) naahee ||

Trying all sorts of things, I have grown weary, but still, they will not leave me alone.

eyk bwq suin qwkI Etw swDsMig imit jwhI ]2]

eaek baath sun thaakee outtaa saadhhasa(n)g mitt jaahee ||2||

But I have heard that they can be rooted out, in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; and so I seek their Shelter. ||2||

kir ikrpw sMq imly moih iqn qy DIrju pwieAw ]

kar kirapaa sa(n)th milae mohi thin thae dhheeraj paaeiaa ||

In their Mercy, the Saints have met me, and from them, I have obtained satisfaction.

sMqI mMqu dIE moih inrBau gur kw sbdu kmwieAw ]3]

sa(n)thee ma(n)th dheeou mohi nirabho gur kaa sabadh kamaaeiaa ||3||

The Saints have given me the Mantra of the Fearless Lord, and now I practice the Word of the Guru's Shabad. ||3||

jIiq ley Eie mhw ibKwdI shj suhylI bwxI ]

jeeth leae oue mehaa bikhaadhee sehaj suhaelee baanee ||

I have now conquered those terrible evil-doers, and my speech is now sweet and sublime.

khu nwnk min BieAw prgwsw pwieAw pdu inrbwxI ]4]4]125]

kahu naanak man bhaeiaa paragaasaa paaeiaa padh nirabaanee ||4||4||125||

Says Nanak, the Divine Light has dawned within my mind; I have obtained the state of Nirvaanaa. ||4||4||125||

• 3 weeks later...
Greetings

Amarpreet Singh

Well I'm just asking this to you out of nowhere. How do you feel of being a Sikh? You can reply me as a mail or message me to or put it here. Waiting your reply Amarpreet Ji.

You need not worry about what you have done, instead focus on what you are going to do. What is done is done, you cannot go back in time and correct your mistakes, but you can change the actions you are going to take.

Be more aware of what you are doing and why you are doing it, have patience before you take an action. Ask yourself is this actions going to benefit me Spiritually? Is this going to bring me closer to God or take me further away from God? Be conscious of your actions and thoughts. Instill your mind with Love of God, if you don't feel it in your heart then beg for it. Be humble in your dealings with others even those who you dislike.

If possible, ask for forgiveness from those you might have hurt, intentionally or unintentionally and most importantly forgive yourself. Guilt has its purpose to motivate you, but when this guilt becomes a hindrance in your progress, it has overstayed its welcome.

Learn the power of discrimination between right and wrong and use it wisely. Understand what actions will lead you towards Humility and Love of God.

We all stumble on the rocks in our path, they are there to show us the importance of the path we choose to travel, without these rocks we would have learned nothing in our lives. Each rock we trip over has a lesson to teach us, instead of cursing or feeling guilty, be thankful towards the rock for giving you an invaluable lesson in this life and continue to move forward.

:goodpost:

Everything that Pheena said is so TRUE and important. To the original poster and people generally, please give it a deep reflectance if you haven't done so far, even if it may seem like something very simple or obvious. Be aware, and when you notice yourself slipping to the dark side, do Chaupai Sahib and concentrate, or just think what you will get/lose by doing it. Again and again and again. Even if you decide to do something bad, stay awake! Be aware of the way you're doing whatever you're doing and how you're feeling when you do it, and keep asking yourself things like what's the point, is this bringing me happiness or am i just fooling myself?