The Sikh Channel - Worlds 1st Dedicated Sikh Tv Channel

KIRTANSEVAUK

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spoken to Charanpreet Singh a couple of times since this venture was launched on the internet and he seems to be a very pleasant chap. As he has suggested on this thread a few times, do get in touch with him by email (or telephone, as appropriate) if you want to make any suggestions, support the venture or query anything. There is nothing wrong with people voicing concerns over these types of issues when money is involved as some users have above and I don't think it is discouragement at all. Charanpreet certainly seems to take it all in his stride and continues to request that you speak to him if you are genuinely interested, so let's not make anyone out to be hounding him which I don't think they really are!! :) A little love and faith goes a long way from both sides of course!!

I have never (knowingly) met him before and although at Naujawanidotcom we would hope that one day there was a channel that we could produce content for, we are totally impartial in this venture. From my conversations with him I have gathered that this is a commercial venture in the sense that the channel will be run with a professional infrastructure, waged employees(!) and vested parties responsible for paying the bills, signing the cheques and of course perhaps reaping the rewards. However, that all is a long way off and as has been stated in this thread, go to the website where you will find greater clarity in the coming weeks as to costs etc.

This sounds like a great initiative that has been tried numerous times before, mostly unsuccessfully. However, unlike past ventures, we (the sangat and World at large) are being brought in to advise and contribute to the direction of the channel. This is why the station is described as the sangat's channel. It is a viewer-driven and interactive channel. I certainly would like to believe in Charanpreet's vision of a parchar-based channel whose goals and direction are not money-orientated. From naujawanidotcom, we will be meeting him very soon to talk more about the sikh channel and give people a greater insight into what is being put forward. We do, as all Sikhs here, wish him the very best!

This is a very good move and you have my 100% support in this project. If there is anything i can get involved in then please feel free to let me and I am more than happy to get involved in this Seva.

You are going to get people who are going to try and pull you down in this project. We see it happen all the time whether its in a Gurdwara or in other projects. My advice to you is stay focused and with Guru Maharaj Ji's kirpa this will be a success. We need the Sikh Channel. It is something that should have come in to exisitence years ago.

Some points have been raised around transparency. I suggest that those individuals contact KSUK and discuss these issues and clarify any concerns they may have. Discouraging such a project is not sensible and is potentially damaging for us all.

Please support this project.

Sukhi Singh (Hitchin)

Waheguru Ji

As we want this to be your channel

We have launched our 1st version of the Sikh Channel website www.thesikhchannel.com

as the channel progresses so will the website

we will be adding a forum shortly to the site, where you can express directly your views and opinions for the channel, and participate directly in this project.

Updated information will be added to the site frequently

http://thesikhchannel.com

Support Us to Support You

I fully AGREE with your post!

For funds, it is best to get pledges from the Gurdwaras and Sikh businessmen. Also, something online perhaps for the general Sangat worldwide (Debit Card payments, Paypal...etc), I'm sure it will definitely add up very quickly. Make posters for nationwide distribution and approach the Gurdwaras to promote this much needed vision.

If Sikhs can raise MILLIONS of pounds for many new Gurdwaras around the country, I'm sure raising £750,000 for a much needed Sikh Channel, the first of its kind, should not be too difficult.

This is something we lack from Sikhs in Puraatan times - WORKING TOGETHER AND SUPPORTING EACH OTHER FOR THE PANTH!

What does Sangat think,

Will people like Bob Dhillon, Baron Iqbal Singh, Gurbaksh Singh Chahal, Reuben Singh and all other Sikh lakhpatis, crorepatis and millionpatis donate to this Sikh cause (if contacted)?

Just an opinion please.

(I was talking to a friend about donations to the channel, and he said, that none of these Sikh rich people will contribute..)

From a personal point of view I am just dissapointed that people hide behind usernames, post on public forums but then never have the guts to contact me directly to get the real side of the story. They cant do anything themselves and they dont want to let others do anything!

The points raised do not appear to be an attack on your mission but is the forum members attempts to understand whether the sangat will have full transparency of funds. To which you have clarified this point...so i don't see the need to get worked up or direct your frustrations at any one in particular.

I don't see any problem with them being raised on this forum esp when the channel is being referred to as the sangats channel unless there are things to hide?

I was talking in a general sense

sangat have the upmost right to ask questions, and we will do our best to answer them as fully as we can

we have nothing to hide, and have explained the context in which it is the sangats channel

like we have said any questions - do not not hesitate to contact us via phone or email and we can clarify things.

I would like to clarify the following points so it is clear

The aim of the channel is not for commercial gain (which is what i should have said) we will have to have investors as they be vital in making this project financially viable. If thats makes us a commercial channel then fine we are a commercial channel

We have never said that we are a non profit organisation for this channel, however making profit is not our priority.

We said its the sangats channel, in the sense that we want your collective input in making it a success.

Thank you very much. This is the kind of clarification I was after. I fully appreciate the project needs to be financially viable, and of course you need the support of the Sangat to determine what will be successful and what will not be successful. Although, when it was said that it is the Sangat's channel, it implied that it was a completely not-for-profit venture.

Financial viability is of course absolutely crucial to make this a long-term success, and I fully appreciate that the sevadaars undertaking this project need to earn a living and/or want to benefit from the upside of the project's success.

As naujawanidotcom rightly mentioned, we have too many radio stations in the UK who are making money from the Sangat by making daily appeals for funds, including setting a fee for doing Ardaas, etc on their shows. They always tell us their costs, but never explain or disclose their revenues. One of the Gurbani radio stations has a constant appeal for funds due to alleged projects funded in India. Who knows whether the funds reach their destination, as there is never full financial disclosure made. If these types of media make appeals for the Sangat's money, the major concern is that they are not using it to line their own pockets. THIS WAS THE CONTEXT AND REASONS FOR ME TO RAISE CONCERNS!

One final Benti - going forward, if it is a private enterprise/company, then the financial affairs are between you and your investors, and you do not have to disclose anything beyond your Companies House submissions. However, if the Sangat does give donations on your request, it is an open public matter and we have every right to question you to explain your costs AND REVENUES! This distinction and the level of disclosure you want is something you should consider going forwards.

From a personal point of view I am just dissapointed that people hide behind usernames, post on public forums but then never have the guts to contact me directly to get the real side of the story. They cant do anything themselves and they dont want to let others do anything!

Veer jee - it was never my intent to pull you down. I've repeatedly said I support The Sikh Channel project. However, the transparency of the financial affairs in relation to the seva you do is an absolute necessity. This may save you from accusations in the future, and hopefully we have clarified some issue in front of the Sangat. BTW, reason I did not discuss this directly with you, as I have on previous occasions, is so the whole Sangat can get such clarification.

Best of luck :)

Waheguroo