The Sikh Channel - Worlds 1st Dedicated Sikh Tv Channel

KIRTANSEVAUK

WJKK WJKF

This is an excellent initative (but, I would say that anyway !).

I setup a TV channel a few years ago successfully and let me tell you at the very least the following costs:

1. TV licence £50k

2. Site costs p/ year (simple) £40k

3. Equipment (studios/ decks/ cameras/ play/ mix equipment) (BASIC) £30k (presume competive pricing/ refurbed/ bankrupt hardware) £40k

4. Staff and maintenance £40k

TOTAL £170k (c. $370k) first year costs with £40k ($65k) per year thereafter.

How will you fund this and against what assets (given the economic climate, banks are super critical to lend)?

Veer ji the costs are alot higher than that, if they were that low we would have already had 10 TV stations, the cost of running a radio on satellite is £110,000 a year however tv is a different story

could you please clarify that was for a TV channel on sky in the UK, plus could you tell me if it was for a tv channel what were your costs for uplink to the satellite.

we will be highlighting all costs on our webiste in the next coming week

we are not looking at banks for lending

please feel free to contact me directly please email info@thesikhchannel.com or call me on 077 939 76746

I would be very interested in discuss your costings in comparison to ours

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The costs totalled above fall ways hort of what it costs to run a digital TV station in the UK. Singh is King did you set up a station abroad?! Most of the costs are less but believe it or not the licence from OFCOM actually only costs around £5k. You have to work hard tog et it though and then not fall foul of the guidelines as 3 different asian broadcasters did last year (theye were subsequently fined 5 figure sums!) KSUK, the biggest jump from Radio to TV is the uplinking and content. Whereas on radio it isn't too difficult to monitor audio levels and maintain a strong signal, TV requires 24/7 monitoring and detailed measuring of the video. In regards to content, on radio you can simply stick on a cd/cassette (how many of the UK radio stations do this way too often!) with television you have to have something visual. To start with I can imagine lots of video stock footage being broadcast with kirtan playing over it, but as a serious broadcaster I'd expect you to build to real programming and content!

Good luck with the station! It's badly needed, however I notice that most of the anticipated programming is in English - not a bad thing but please have sufficient Punjabi/Gurmukhi stuff as well. We need to encourage Punjabi because all our historic literature (which often has the answers to the most common questions) is in Gurmukhi and cannot be accurately translated.

This is a very good move and you have my 100% support in this project. If there is anything i can get involved in then please feel free to let me and I am more than happy to get involved in this Seva.

You are going to get people who are going to try and pull you down in this project. We see it happen all the time whether its in a Gurdwara or in other projects. My advice to you is stay focused and with Guru Maharaj Ji's kirpa this will be a success. We need the Sikh Channel. It is something that should have come in to exisitence years ago.

Some points have been raised around transparency. I suggest that those individuals contact KSUK and discuss these issues and clarify any concerns they may have. Discouraging such a project is not sensible and is potentially damaging for us all.

Please support this project.

Sukhi Singh (Hitchin)

Waheguru Ji

As we want this to be your channel

We have launched our 1st version of the Sikh Channel website www.thesikhchannel.com

as the channel progresses so will the website

we will be adding a forum shortly to the site, where you can express directly your views and opinions for the channel, and participate directly in this project.

Updated information will be added to the site frequently

http://thesikhchannel.com

Support Us to Support You

Thank you for your support

We will not give up on this vision, there has always been people that have tried to bring us down and thats why we have so much faith in Guru Sahib and know that he will give us the strength to make this a reality.

From a personal point of view I am just dissapointed that people hide behind usernames, post on public forums but then never have the guts to contact me directly to get the real side of the story. They cant do anything themselves and they dont want to let others do anything!

But that wont stop us! This TV station is a must for Sikhs and we must make it a happen

True KirtanSevaUK veer...

This is problem with Panth, we ourselves do nothing, and when others finally try to do Seva for panth, instead of supporting and encouraging them, we try to find each and every of their faults, discouraging them etc...

Veerji, in how much time will the channel be on air? (approx, your estimate)

Will it only be available in UK or other European countries aswell?

It will launch in the UK via satellite

and worldwide via the internet

we then aim as we grow to take the channel global! thus europe would be next

we have not got a projected date, as we need to raise the funds for one years broadcasting 1st, this is vital in ensuring that the channel sustains a future.

So the quicker we get the funds the quicker we can have a channel