Guru Nanak Dev Ji's Jyoti Jot

Azaad

In another thread on this forum, Sunny veer claimed that when Guru Nanak Dev Ji left this world, their body was cremated. Below is what Sunny veer actually said

"No body turned to flowers.. Its all myths..

Guru Sahib was cremated in front of their wife, sons and Bhai Lehna along other followers. There's no question of the body becoming flowers."

I've always believed that after Maharaj left this world, their body turned into flowers and the chadar which covered the body was torn into two...which was divided between the muslims and hindus who then respectively buried it. Even when I went to Kartarpur Sahib, I saw the grave in the Gurdwara Complex where the muslims buried that chadar. Muslims still come and read their namaz there.

Sunny Veerji asked me to open a new thread so he could explain his version. Please feel free to add what your opinion is.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guru Sahib gave throne to Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji, and declared His time was near on September 22, 1539, which is Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji's Joti Jot Divas. He asked the Sikhs to sing Sohila Sahib and end with the last verse of Jap Ji Sahib. He then drew a sheet over His body, and He left His physical body.

However, a problem arose at this time, between the Hindus and the Muslims. The Hindus considered Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji a Guru, and the Muslims considered Him their Pir. The Hindus wanted to cremate the body of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, but the Muslims wanted to bury Him. These were their religious services that were done at funerals. There were fights that broke out between the Hindus and Muslims. Then, they lifted the sheet off Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, and instead of seeing the body of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, they found flowers. These were the same flowers that anyone could pick up. Everyone could pick up these flowers, whether they were Hindu or Muslim. These flowers were available to anyone. The Hindus and Muslims cut the sheet in half and they divided the flowers. The Muslims burried the sheet and flowers, and the Hindus cremated the sheet and flowers.

The importance of the flowers:

Why weren't they food? Why were they not money? Why were they flowers? Because they were available to everyone. Anyone could pick up those flowers. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji said, through the Jot of Guru Arjan Dev Ji,

nw hm ihMdU n muslmwn ] Alh rwm ky ipMfu prwn ]4]

naa ham hi(n)dhoo n musalamaan || aleh raam kae pi(n)dd paraan ||4|

I am not Hindu or Muslim. My body and breath of life belong to Allah.

To Allah, to Ram, the same God of both. He's not saying that He doesn't want to be Hindu or Muslim, He's saying that He's neither. These names, Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Christian, these names don't matter at all. What does matter? The one thing that matters is Akal Purakh. Waheguru. God. Allah. Ram. That's the only thing that matters. Not these petty little names. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, through the Jot of Sri Guru Amar Daas Ji, clearly says in Gurbani,

hir nwmu cyqw Avru n pUjw ] eyko syvI Avru n dUjw ]

har naam chaethaa avar n poojaa || eaeko saevee avar n dhoojaa ||

I remember the Lord's Name, no other. I serve the One Lord, no other.

He's clearly saying that these names don't matter at all. One day, when Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji was going from village to village, He went to a village called Paak Patan. The holy man of that village was Sheik Brahm. He asked Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji a question:

"Oh Nanak, these Hindus: they deny the God of Islam. They deny Allah, but these Muslims accuse the Hindus of worshipping too many gods. You Nanak, you say that there is only one God? There is only one way? How can you say this? This can't be!"

Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji clearly and easily said that these ignorant people impose darkness upon themselves. These people who see divisions among each other, they know nothing. They know nothing of who or what God is. These same divisions are all around us. In school, at work. I go to high school, and I see that people discriminate each other. They say, "That guy's a 'muzi', that guy's a 'pun', that guy's a 'hindu', that guy's an 'apna/giani'. They look at this, and they say those words, but do we ever say that there's one God? Do we ever focus on that one point? Do we even remember that point? That the person next to you is the same as you, that you belong to the same God, the same Father? These divisions mean nothing. Guru Nanak Dev Ji says,

ihMdU qurk duhW nybyrw ]1] rhwau ]

hi(n)dhoo thurak dhuhaa(n) naebaeraa ||1|| rehaao ||

He adminstrates both Hindus and Muslims.

A father never loves his children unequally. He always loves them equally. The same goes for our Father. He loves us equally. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji always said that these names don't ever matter.

The only thing that does matter is the importance, and Piyaar(love) for Waheguru.

Guru Nanak Dev passed away at Kartarpur (in 1539) both Hindus and Muslims laid claim to his body. Ultimately it was decided that overnight, flowers would be placed by both Hindus and Muslims on his body. Whoever’s flowers withered next morning would lose claim. The next morning when the cloth was removed, the body was missing and flowers of both communities were found in the same shape as they had been put in. The two communities finally decided to divide the cloth, and the Muslims buried it while the Hindus consigned it to fire [x]. Therefore both a grave and a smadh exist here. It is correct to say that Dera Baba Nanak, is sacred to all religions as three shrines of Guru Nanak exit in the form of an Islamic grave, a Hindu samadh and the Sikhs’ angitha. Nowhere else in the world three shrines of a single person coexist [xi].

http://www.kartarpur.com/gateway%20to%20peace.htm

Guru Sahib gave throne to Sri Guru Angad Dev Ji, and declared His time was near on September 22, 1539, which is Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji's Joti Jot Divas. He asked the Sikhs to sing Sohila Sahib and end with the last verse of Jap Ji Sahib. He then drew a sheet over His body, and He left His physical body.

However, a problem arose at this time, between the Hindus and the Muslims. The Hindus considered Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji a Guru, and the Muslims considered Him their Pir. The Hindus wanted to cremate the body of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, but the Muslims wanted to bury Him. These were their religious services that were done at funerals. There were fights that broke out between the Hindus and Muslims. Then, they lifted the sheet off Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, and instead of seeing the body of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, they found flowers. These were the same flowers that anyone could pick up. Everyone could pick up these flowers, whether they were Hindu or Muslim. These flowers were available to anyone. The Hindus and Muslims cut the sheet in half and they divided the flowers. The Muslims burried the sheet and flowers, and the Hindus cremated the sheet and flowers.

The importance of the flowers:

Why weren't they food? Why were they not money? Why were they flowers? Because they were available to everyone. Anyone could pick up those flowers. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji said, through the Jot of Guru Arjan Dev Ji,

To Allah, to Ram, the same God of both. He's not saying that He doesn't want to be Hindu or Muslim, He's saying that He's neither. These names, Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Christian, these names don't matter at all. What does matter? The one thing that matters is Akal Purakh. Waheguru. God. Allah. Ram. That's the only thing that matters. Not these petty little names. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, through the Jot of Sri Guru Amar Daas Ji, clearly says in Gurbani,

hir nwmu cyqw Avru n pUjw ] eyko syvI Avru n dUjw ]

har naam chaethaa avar n poojaa || eaeko saevee avar n dhoojaa ||

I remember the Lord's Name, no other. I serve the One Lord, no other.

He's clearly saying that these names don't matter at all. One day, when Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji was going from village to village, He went to a village called Paak Patan. The holy man of that village was Sheik Brahm. He asked Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji a question:

"Oh Nanak, these Hindus: they deny the God of Islam. They deny Allah, but these Muslims accuse the Hindus of worshipping too many gods. You Nanak, you say that there is only one God? There is only one way? How can you say this? This can't be!"

Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji clearly and easily said that these ignorant people impose darkness upon themselves. These people who see divisions among each other, they know nothing. They know nothing of who or what God is. These same divisions are all around us. In school, at work. I go to high school, and I see that people discriminate each other. They say, "That guy's a 'muzi', that guy's a 'pun', that guy's a 'hindu', that guy's an 'apna/giani'. They look at this, and they say those words, but do we ever say that there's one God? Do we ever focus on that one point? Do we even remember that point? That the person next to you is the same as you, that you belong to the same God, the same Father? These divisions mean nothing. Guru Nanak Dev Ji says,

ihMdU qurk duhW nybyrw ]1] rhwau ]

hi(n)dhoo thurak dhuhaa(n) naebaeraa ||1|| rehaao ||

He adminstrates both Hindus and Muslims.

A father never loves his children unequally. He always loves them equally. The same goes for our Father. He loves us equally. Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji always said that these names don't ever matter.

The only thing that does matter is the importance, and Piyaar(love) for Waheguru.

This shabad was spoken by bhagat kabeer ji. And it does not include Sikhs as you said. If you would like to see the reason why then just replace where the shabad speaks about hindu and muslim practices and put in Sikh practices. Also define what a Sikh is. It'll come clear who Bhagat Kabeer ji is speaking too.

there is a mosque or gurudwara i think so in pakistan where the flower has been buried and an anghitha has been made onto it ...

the grave where the Muslims buried the flowers is actually in the complex of Sri Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara complex. Muslims still come to read their namaz there!!

Fateh Ji,

And then some do also question about Guru Nanak Sahib Ji's jyot passing on from Guru ji to Guru ji.

In Tav Prasad Sawiye Guru Gobind Singh ji says : Jinn prem kiyo tinn hi Prabh paiyo. All our Guru Sahibs after Guru Nanak Sahib Ji had the same selfless love and hence the same enlightment as Guru Nanak Sahib Ji. Jyot is awareness.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong

Guru Rakha

To Vikramjit veer, indeed, all our Gurus were one with Waheguru and had one and the same JOT.

Azaad veer, tell me, whats the first historical source where it is claimed that Guru Ji's Deh (body) turned into flowers and also the period when it was written.

After that, I will elaborate more on this fact.

Sunny Singh Ji, u made a claim in the quiz thread and offered to show evidence. When I asked you for evidence, you asked me to open anew threads which I have done. Iv also posted some posts in which I believe in. Instead of going round in bushes and asking me write about the first historical source or whatever, I'm asking you to back your claim with evidence like you said you would!!