Adam And Eve In Sikhi

Bored

According to this shabad, does sikhi belive in adam and eve?

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Bhairao on Pannaa 1161

sqir sYie slwr hY jw ky ]

sathar saie salaar hai jaa kae ||

He has 7,000 commanders,

svw lwKu pYkwbr qw ky ]

savaa laakh paikaabar thaa kae ||

and hundreds of thousands of prophets;

syK ju khIAih koit ATwsI ]

saekh j keheeahi kott at(h)aasee ||

He is said to have 88,000,000 shaykhs,

Cpn koit jw ky Kyl KwsI ]1]

shhapan kott jaa kae khael khaasee ||1||

and 56,000,000 attendants. ||1||

mo grIb kI ko gujrwvY ]

mo gareeb kee ko gujaraavai ||

I am meek and poor - what chance do I have of being heard there?

mjlis dUir mhlu ko pwvY ]1] rhwau ]

majalas dhoor mehal ko paavai ||1|| rehaao ||

His Court is so far away; only a rare few attain the Mansion of His Presence. ||1||Pause||

qyqIs kroVI hY Kyl Kwnw ]

thaethees karorree hai khael khaanaa ||

He has 33,000,000 play-houses.

caurwsI lK iPrY idvwnW ]

chouraasee lakh firai dhivaanaa(n) ||

His beings wander insanely through 8.4 million incarnations.

bwbw Awdm kau ikCu ndir idKweI ]

baabaa aadham ko kishh nadhar dhikhaaee ||

He bestowed His Grace on Adam, the father of mankind,

auin BI iBsiq GnyrI pweI ]2]

oun bhee bhisath ghanaeree paaee ||2||

who then lived in paradise for a long time. ||2||

idl Klhlu jw kY jrd rU bwnI ]

dhil khalehal jaa kai jaradh roo baanee ||

Pale are the faces of those whose hearts are disturbed.

Coif kqyb krY sYqwnI ]

shhodd kathaeb karai saithaanee ||

They have forsaken their Bible, and practice Satanic evil.

dunIAw dosu rosu hY loeI ]

dhuneeaa dhos ros hai loee ||

One who blames the world, and is angry with people,

Apnw kIAw pwvY soeI ]3]

apanaa keeaa paavai soee ||3||

shall receive the fruits of his own actions. ||3||

qum dwqy hm sdw iBKwrI ]

thum dhaathae ham sadhaa bhikhaaree ||

You are the Great Giver, O Lord; I am forever a beggar at Your Door.

dyau jbwbu hoie bjgwrI ]

dhaeo jabaab hoe bajagaaree ||

If I were to deny You, then I would be a wretched sinner.

dwsu kbIru qyrI pnh smwnW ]

dhaas kabeer thaeree paneh samaanaa(n) ||

Slave Kabeer has entered Your Shelter.

iBsqu njIik rwKu rhmwnw ]4]7]15]

bhisath najeek raakh rehamaanaa ||4||7||15||

Keep me near You, O Merciful Lord God - that is heaven for me. ||4||7||15||

bwbw Awdm kau ikCu ndir idKweI ]

baabaa aadham ko kishh nadhar dhikhaaee ||

He bestowed His Grace on Adam, the father of mankind,

As far as I understand, the Tuk doesnt say that Adam is the father of mankind. It seems a mis-translation.

It should be "He bestowed His Grace on Baba Adam"

The case is the same as thousand others in Gurbani. We shoudln't limit Gurbani to our minds.

The whole shabad is in praise of the one Lord, and you should look at it in that way.

WJKK WJKF

but i was told Guru Arjan Dev Ji was the first guru to acknowledge bhagat kabir, and to mention his poems/thoughts. so if he was talking about him he would quote some of his views. as for the shabad, i still dont think it means sikhs should believe that adam and eve populated the earth.

Hanji veerji, those shabads were uttered by Bhagat Kabir and written in the SGGS by Guru Arjan Sahib Ji.

Bhagat Kabir neither was a Hindu nor a Muslim.

He met Guru Nanak Sahib and was highly inspired by Guru Sahib.

Indeed a Sikh is not to believe that Adam and Eve populated the earth.

Read the whole Shabad and try to understand what they mean with the whole Shabad.

Whole the Shabad is written in praise of the Lord.

It is against the Muslims that started believing in Adam, the hundreds of thousand of prophets or in the 330 Million Devi Devte... It says that there is someone above them, the one that created them; blessed them. Try to look it in that veerji...

Bhul Chuk Maaf

WJKK WJKF

Bhagat Kabir neither was a Hindu nor a Muslim.

He met Guru Nanak Sahib and was highly inspired by Guru Sahib.

Indeed a Sikh is not to believe that Adam and Eve populated the earth.

Read the whole Shabad and try to understand what they mean with the whole Shabad.

Whole the Shabad is written in praise of the Lord.

It is against the Muslims that started believing in Adam, the hundreds of thousand of prophets or in the 330 Million Devi Devte... It says that there is someone above them, the one that created them; blessed them. Try to look it in that veerji...

Bhul Chuk Maaf

WJKK WJKF

ha, i do get a little carried away sometimes :D _oh_OLD:

I'm not a Giani, but I interpret this as follow:

He has 7,000 commanders, hundreds of thousands of prophets;

The creator Lord is above all; also the commanders or prophets

He is said to have 88,000,000 shaykhs and 56,000,000 attendants. ||1||

The creator Lord is above all; also the sheikhs and the attendants

I am meek and poor - what chance do I have of being heard there?

His Court is so far away; only a rare few attain the Mansion of His Presence. ||1||Pause||

One has to do a long path (naam simran) to attain Sach Khand

He has 33,000,000 play-houses.

The creator Lord is above all; it was Him that created the 330 million Devi Devte

His beings wander insanely through 8.4 million incarnations.

The creator Lord is above all; his creation goes through 84 million reincarnations

He bestowed His Grace on Adam, who then lived in paradise for a long time. ||2||

The creator Lord is above all; he created the human beings, who lives in the world for a long time.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

WJKK WJKF

According to Proffesor Sahib Singh's 'Guru Granth Darpan'...

'Adam', known as 'Baba Aadam' is mentioned once in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The Shabad is revealed through Baba Kabeer Ji on Ang 1161 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

The Muslim describes the greatness of his God that he has seven thousand angels, one hundred and twenty five thousand Prophets, etc.; and that God lives in the Seventh Sky above Earth. In this Shabad (hymn) Baba Kabeer Ji offers a reply that I am a Weaver by background, even if I become a Muslim, I will remain poor. You say that your God's Court is in the Seventh Sky; no one will bother to notice me there and nor can I travel that far. According to Islam the most perfect man created by God was Adam, who is believed to be the first human. However, Baba Kabeer Ji points out that if the most perfect man is chucked out of paradise (i.e. the casting out of Adam and Eve from Eden) then what hope is there for anyone else? Instead Baba Kabeer Ji says that he prefers to remain drawn and in the presence of God's Lotus Feet, which for him is Heaven.

ਸਤਰਿ ਸੈਇ ਸਲਾਰ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਕੇ ॥ ਸਵਾ ਲਾਖੁ ਪੈਕਾਬਰ ਤਾ ਕੇ ॥ ਸੇਖ ਜੁ ਕਹੀਅਹਿ ਕੋਟਿ ਅਠਾਸੀ ॥ ਛਪਨ ਕੋਟਿ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਖੇਲ ਖਾਸੀ ॥੧॥

(O person!) The God (you say) has 7,000 commanders, and (you say) has one hundred and twenty-five thousand prophets serving Him; He is said to have 88,000,000 old sheikhs (living at His door), and who (you say) has 56,000,000 attendants (up to His court). ||1||

ਮੋ ਗਰੀਬ ਕੀ ਕੋ ਗੁਜਰਾਵੈ ॥ ਮਜਲਸਿ ਦੂਰਿ ਮਹਲੁ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

I am meek and poor - what chance do I have of being heard there? (Then you say that) His Court is so far away (in the seventh sky); (I am a poor Weaver,) who will find God's House? ||1||Pause||

ਤੇਤੀਸ ਕਰੋੜੀ ਹੈ ਖੇਲ ਖਾਨਾ ॥ ਚਉਰਾਸੀ ਲਖ ਫਿਰੈ ਦਿਵਾਨਾਂ ॥ ਬਾਬਾ ਆਦਮ ਕਉ ਕਿਛੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਦਿਖਾਈ ॥ ਉਨਿ ਭੀ ਭਿਸਤਿ ਘਨੇਰੀ ਪਾਈ ॥੨॥

(The people who talk of Heaven also say that) He has 33,000,000 angels as His servants (how will they even listen to me?). His beings (separated and lost) wander insanely through 8.4 million incarnations. (O person! You say that God kept 'Adam' (the supposed father of Mankind) in Paradise, but according to you) when God (according to His Will) glanced his eye of Grace on Adam, then that Adam only enjoyed Paradise for a short while (because he was removed from there, so if people like Adam have been removed, then tell me, how long will someone like me be allowed to last there?) ||2||

ਦਿਲ ਖਲਹਲੁ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਜਰਦ ਰੂ ਬਾਨੀ ॥ ਛੋਡਿ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਰੈ ਸੈਤਾਨੀ ॥ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੋਸੁ ਰੋਸੁ ਹੈ ਲੋਈ ॥ ਅਪਨਾ ਕੀਆ ਪਾਵੈ ਸੋਈ ॥੩॥

Those who have forsaken (the path shown in) their religious-books and turn to follow bad practices, their hearts are disturbed (with wickedness and corruption), and their faces turn pale (i.e. he or she get pushed away from Waheguru's Door). A person receives the fruits of one's own action, but (in ignorance) one blames others, and gets angry with the world. ||3||

ਤੁਮ ਦਾਤੇ ਹਮ ਸਦਾ ਭਿਖਾਰੀ ॥ ਦੇਉ ਜਬਾਬੁ ਹੋਇ ਬਜਗਾਰੀ ॥ ਦਾਸੁ ਕਬੀਰੁ ਤੇਰੀ ਪਨਹ ਸਮਾਨਾਂ ॥ ਭਿਸਤੁ ਨਜੀਕਿ ਰਾਖੁ ਰਹਮਾਨਾ ॥੪॥੭॥੧੫॥

(O my Lord! I have no need for any Paradise or Heaven) You are my Great Giver, I am forever a beggar at Your Door (whatever You are giving me that is fine). If I were to deny You, then I would be a wretched sinner. Slave Kabeer has entered Your Shelter. O Merciful Lord Waheguru! Keep me near You Feet – that is heaven for me. ||4||7||15||