All Bhagat's, Whose Bani Is In Sggs Were Sikhs?

guptveer1469

Most people popularly believe that except a few (like Bhai Satta and Balvand) and the Sikh Guru Sahibaans, most were Hindu or Muslim/Sufi Bhagats.

After reading quite a lot, it seems that many of those Bhagats were Sikhs...

Whats Sangat's viewpoint?

These are the 15 Bhagats whose Bani is in Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj.

Bhagat Jaidev Ji

Bhagat Namdev Ji

Bhagat Trilochan Ji

Bhagat Parmanand Ji

Bhagat Sadhana Ji

Bhagat Beni Ji

Bhagat Ramanand Ji - Had a discussion with Guru Sahib and received Naam Daan from Guru Ji.

Bhagat Dhanna Ji

Bhagat Pipa Ji

Bhagat Sain Ji

Bhagat Kabir Ji - Met Guru Nanak Sahib for the first time in 1490s.

Bhagat Ravidas Ji - Is said to have met Guru Nanak Sahib

Baba Farid Ji - Met Guru Nanak Sahib twice

Bhagat Bhikhan Ji

Bhagat Surdas Ji

Many Bhagats are said to have met Guru Nanak Sahib in Ayodhya.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people from other religions claim even Guru Nanak to be a Muslim, or a Hindu, they distort our history, because of jealousy, in the same way I believe the same has happened to these Bhagats. They were neither Muslim nor Hindu, they might of been born into a family of those religions, like Guru Nanak, they may have even been followers of those religions for some time. But they are contained within the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, who is our Guru, therefore all those bhagats are part of our Guru. They are merged into the Guru. So at one time they may have been hindu or muslim but now they are God. God has no form, no caste, nevermind religion. God has no religion, they are God, so therefore they are not Muslim or Hindu.

When they were in still humans, and they subdued their egos, They would have become Sikhs. Practising the Truth, if they were still part of those other religions, think about it, they would of still been doing useless rituals.

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੧ ॥

Shalok, First Mehl

ਮਿਹਰ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਸਿਦਕੁ ਮੁਸਲਾ ਹਕੁ ਹਲਾਲੁ ਕੁਰਾਣੁ ॥

Let mercy be your mosque, faith your prayer-mat, and honest living your Koran.

ਸਰਮ ਸੁੰਨਤਿ ਸੀਲੁ ਰੋਜਾ ਹੋਹੁ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ॥

Make modesty your circumcision, and good conduct your fast. In this way, you shall be a true Muslim.

ਕਰਣੀ ਕਾਬਾ ਸਚੁ ਪੀਰੁ ਕਲਮਾ ਕਰਮ ਨਿਵਾਜ ॥

Let good conduct be your Kaabaa, Truth your spiritual guide, and the karma of good deeds your prayer and chant.

ਤਸਬੀ ਸਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵਸੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਖੈ ਲਾਜ ॥੧॥

Let your rosary be that which is pleasing to His Will. O Nanak, God shall preserve your honor. ||1||

And Guru Ji talks about many times how to be a "true hindu/muslim/yogi" And he always says the same thing everytime. Which is practise bieng a Sikh, and then you shall truly become a hindu/muslim/yogi

ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੯ ॥

Dhanaasaree, Ninth Mehl:

ਤਿਹ ਜੋਗੀ ਕਉ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਨਉ ॥

That Yogi does not know the way.

ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਮਤਾ ਫੁਨਿ ਜਿਹ ਘਟਿ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਛਾਨਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Understand that his heart is filled with greed, emotional attachment, Maya and egotism. ||1||Pause||

ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਉਸਤਤਿ ਨਹ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਕੰਚਨ ਲੋਹ ਸਮਾਨੋ ॥

One who does not slander or praise others, who looks upon gold and iron alike,

ਹਰਖ ਸੋਗ ਤੇ ਰਹੈ ਅਤੀਤਾ ਜੋਗੀ ਤਾਹਿ ਬਖਾਨੋ ॥੧॥

who is free from pleasure and pain - he alone is called a true Yogi. ||1||

ਚੰਚਲ ਮਨੁ ਦਹ ਦਿਸਿ ਕਉ ਧਾਵਤ ਅਚਲ ਜਾਹਿ ਠਹਰਾਨੋ ॥

The restless mind wanders in the ten directions - it needs to be pacified and restrained.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੋ ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਤਾਹਿ ਤੁਮ ਮਾਨੋ ॥੨॥੩॥

Says Nanak, whoever knows this technique is judged to be liberated. ||2||3||

Fateh

Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh in Gurmat Prakash writes that all Bhagats met Guru Nanak (whether that be Nirgun or Sargun, what we have to remember is Guru Nanak is Nanak Jyot which as Aad Sach - truth from the beggining). Before they met Nanak Jyot they had ego in their hearts, but as soon as they met Nanak Jyot and became Ik Mikk with the jyot their ego was totally removed.

All Bhagats recieved Naam DriR from Guru Nanak as Bhagat Kabeer Jee states:

kabeer saachaa sathigur mai miliaa sabadh j baahiaa eaek |

Kabeer, the True Guru has met me; He aimed the Arrow of the Shabad at me.

laagath hee bhue mil gaeiaa pariaa kalaejae shaek |157|

As soon as it struck me, I fell to the ground with a hole in my heart. ||157||

The question arises, who is true Guru? Who else can be true Guru then Nanak Jyot. Nanak Joyt met Bhagat Jee and gave Bhagat Jee the blessing of Naam implantation.

Even the Bhatts who met Guru Nanak recieved Naam implantation by Guru Nanak placing his hand on their head:

sathiguroo dhann naanak masathak thum dhariou jin hatho |

Blessed is the True Guru Nanak, who placed His hand upon Your forehead.

A very important thing to remember is this:

baabaa paidhaa sach khandd no nidh naam gareebee paaee|

Baba reached the region of Truth wherefrom he received Naam, the storehouse of nine treasures and humility.

When Guru Nanak went to Sach Khand he was iniated by Waheguroo himself. Waheguru himself blessed Guru Nanak with Waheguru Mantar. This Mantar is refered to as SatNaam - The true Name:

kalijug baabae thaariaa sathinaam parr manthr sunaaeiaa|

Baba Nanak rescued this dark age (Kalyug) and recited ‘Satnam’ mantra for one and all.

SatNaam is the true Name Guru Nanak recieved from Sach Khand (makes sence SAT naam, SACH khand lol), in order to reach Sach Khand this true name needs to be blessed to the seekers of SACH. Sach Khand can only be reached by Gursikhs who have recieved Waheguru Mantar when they are initiated when taking Amrit. All the Bhagats had to recieve this Naam from Guru Nanak in order to reach Sach Khand. Only by meeting Guru Nanak was their ego subdued.

Hope I made sence.

Bolan Joga

This topic has been discussed before and in much details. So it is better for you to read those posts and also study the sources yourself. Twareekh Guru Khalsa, Puratan Janamsakhis and other sources confirm Bhagats meeting Guru Sahib. Bhagat Bani Ithihaas by Giani Gurdit Singh discusses this matter and proposes that all Bhagats met Guru Sahib and became Sikhs which is clear from internal and external evidence. There is another book called Guru Granth Sahib wale Sheikh Farid Di Bhaal by Prof. Preetam Singh. He argues that Farid Ji whose bani is in Guru Granth Sahib is not Farid Sani but Farid Masood who was born couple hudred years before Guru Sahib pargat in the world. Regardless, no Bhagat was Hindu or Muslim.

Nice explaination asengh bro! You really did make sense!

Thanks Bijla Veerji :D But veerji, then what is your conclusion about Farid Bani? (Is it Sheikh Farid? Farid Sani or Farid Masood?)

So all those 15 Bhagats met Guru Sahib? (just to be sure, lol)

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF

Bhai Randhir Singh also says in one of his books (I think Gurmat Lekh) that Bhagats were called from Karam Khand by Guru Sahib, they recited Bani and then were sent to Sach Khand. I really do not believe in this story. There are other stories of Bhagats appearing before Guru Sahib and reciting Bani. I do not believe anything like this happened. I believe Bhagats met Guru Sahib, received Naam and became Sikhs. After they became Sikhs, they recited Bani which was included in Guru Granth Sahib. Bhagat Farid Ji's bani is of Farid Sani or Shiekh Ibrahim of Pakpattan. It is apperant from his bani which is written in Gurmukhi using the same grammar rules as the rest of Gurbani. He also used Rahao and same Mangal of "IkOankarSatgurParsaad". Had he been a Muslim, he would've praised Mohammad or included kalima and written in Arabic or Persian. Scholars like Khalil Nizami and descendents of Farid Ji admit that bani in Guru Granth Sahib Ji is of Farid Sani. There are many arguments for and against but you should study on your own and make up your mind. Here are some links for you:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=29923&hl=

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=31317&hl=

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=198733

Bhai Randhir Singh also says in one of his books (I think Gurmat Lekh) that Bhagats were called from Karam Khand by Guru Sahib, they recited Bani and then were sent to Sach Khand. I really do not believe in this story. There are other stories of Bhagats appearing before Guru Sahib and reciting Bani. I do not believe anything like this happened. I believe Bhagats met Guru Sahib, received Naam and became Sikhs. After they became Sikhs, they recited Bani which was included in Guru Granth Sahib. Bhagat Farid Ji's bani is of Farid Sani or Shiekh Ibrahim of Pakpattan. It is apperant from his bani which is written in Gurmukhi using the same grammar rules as the rest of Gurbani. He also used Rahao and same Mangal of "IkOankarSatgurParsaad". Had he been a Muslim, he would've praised Mohammad or included kalima and written in Arabic or Persian. Scholars like Khalil Nizami and descendents of Farid Ji admit that bani in Guru Granth Sahib Ji is of Farid Sani. There are many arguments for and against but you should study on your own and make up your mind. Here are some links for you:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=29923&hl=

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=31317&hl=

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=198733

Thank you very very much veerji !

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF