Baba Buddha

MPKaur

baba-budda.jpg

Long before Mian Mir, the Sufi saint of Lahore, was invited by Guru Arjan in 1589 to lay the foundation of what was to become Harmandir Sahib, the area was a jungle of great beauty and serenity. It is believed that Guru Nanak Dev passed this way once and met a young boy, about nine years old, grazing his cattle. The boy said he was from a nearby village and gave his name as Bura Randhawa. The Guru and the young boy conversed and Guru Nanak was so impressed with the boy’s poise and his maturity that he blessed him with the name ‘Buddha’, meaning old and, by implication, wise.

Born in 1606, Baba Buddha lived a full 120 years. He was indeed blessed because he had the opportunity to be of service to the next five Gurus. Kathu Nangal, his birthplace is about 20 kms from Amritsar on the Amritsar/Batala road where a majestic gurdwara, Bir Baba Buddha Sahib, commemorates his life.

Baba Buddha spent more time at Kartarpur than at Kathu Nangal. In fact, when the Guru gaddi was given by Guru Nanak Dev to Bhai Lehna, it was he who did the ceremony consecrating him as Guru Angad. When Guru Amardas established the new township of Goindwal, Baba Buddha dug the baoli there. He also managed the lands given to Bibi Bhaniji by Emperor Akbar and he was one of the main workers when Guru Ramdas started the excavation of the tank at Guru-ka-Chak.

While Guru Arjan Dev ji was busy with the compilation of the Adi Granth, it was Baba Buddha’s duty to oversee the work at the sarovar. The spot where he sat under a bed tree, grinding lime mortar, is one of the most revered places in the parikarma of the Golden Temple. The ancient tree still lives. Its branches have been supported by iron props and a wide platform has been built around it. This is also known as Ber Baba Buddha ji.

When the Harmandir Sahib was completed Baba Buddha was appointed head-priest of the temple and when the Adi Garth was installed there in 1604, he had the honour of carrying the holy scripture on his head.

On 24 June 1606, he performed the investiture ceremony of Guru Hargobind, at which the sixth Guru assumed the two swords, meeri and peeri, symbolising that both temporal sovereignty and spiritual eminence would be invested in the person of the Guru. When Baba Buddha died in 1631, his funeral pyre was lit by none other than Guru Hargobind Sahib, whose birth he had prophesied.

http://sikhpride.com/wp/2009/01/faithful-baba-budhha-ji/

Thanks for the replies. Actually it is my daughter who is doing a report for school and she chose to do it on Baba Buddha Ji.

She was able to find lots of information but we could not find out if he wrote anything or said anything that people still remember. I don't believe he made any contribution to Sri Guru Granth Sahib, am I wrong?

Menu Ke Patha Ji, you were referring to pothee 5, was the start written by Baba Buddha Ji?

Guru Har Gobind was born with the blessings of Baba Buddha ji. In the picture Babaji is shown holding an onion in his hand. According to Sakhis he broke the onion in his palm with his fist and blessed mataji that she will get a son who will be mahabali and would break the heads of his enemies just like he broke the onion in his palm. Babaji was given the title of Brahmgyani by Guru Arjan Dev ji. Babaji was an extremely important person in Sikh history and lived for 125 yeas. I think he was and is the only Brahmgyani ever. I love Babaji.

Apparently he didn't like ostentatious living and preferred a simple life. When Guru Arjan Dev ji's wife first visited him she took lots of different fancy food with her. He refused to see her and only when she returned with some simple/plain food (on the advice of Sikhs who knew him) did he agree to see her. It was at this point where he smashed one of the onion she bought and said Guru Hargobind will be a great warrior who will crush his enemies like this.

Some Sakhis state when Mata Ganga Ji visited Baba Buddha ji with much arrogance (she being the Guru's wife, was still told by Guru Ji to go to the simple Baba Buddha Ji), Baba Ji cursed by saying 'bhajjran pein giya". When she returned home, Guru Ji suggested her to go without any arrogance, in simple clothes with simple food. She did so. Then Baba Buddha Ji smashed an ognion, and said a son will be born, who will smash the enemies just like he smashed the ognion.

Both sayings became true. The curse came true in the form of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji's sisters marriage (when there was a war) and the boon came true when Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji were born, who defeated the Mughals several times.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF

Does anyone know of any Sakhi or reference of Baba Buddha Ji's work with environment?

Thanks for the replies. Actually it is my daughter who is doing a report for school and she chose to do it on Baba Buddha Ji.

She was able to find lots of information but we could not find out if he wrote anything or said anything that people still remember. I don't believe he made any contribution to Sri Guru Granth Sahib, am I wrong?

Menu Ke Patha Ji, you were referring to pothee 5, was the start written by Baba Buddha Ji?

nai jee..written by kavi santokh jee

baba buddha jee's writing's are not in sree guroo granth sahib jee maharaj.